Jacques Herbin Gris de Houle – a lazy review

A Smug Dill

large.1823376644_JacquesHerbinGrisdeHoulereviewsheetoverview.jpg.1a795d6da966c0ba1928dfd95cacc6df.jpg

Colour: Grey, and probably as neutral a grey as I've come across in fountain pen ink.

Flow and lubrication: Moderate flow, but somewhat watery instead of lubricating.

Feathering: Not observed on Rhodia Dotpad 80g/m² paper.

Show-through: Not observed on Rhodia Dotpad 80g/m² paper, even where I've gone filled a square area with four passes of diagonal strokes.

Bleed-through: Not observed on Rhodia Dotpad 80g/m² paper, even when I accidentally let a large drop fall (where the Latin passage is) on the page, then left it to dry slowly and naturally.

large.124561101_JacquesHerbinGrisdeHoulereviewsheet-waterresistance.jpg.927881d6b15e91d8ed68f9cec34a19a6.jpg

Water resistance: Good.

large.1151210412_JacquesHerbinGrisdeHoulereviewsheet-dryingtime.jpg.cad5f94fb6319d1d3dd919e86cff72f3.jpg

Drying time: Relatively quick, about 11 seconds on Rhodia Dotpad 80g/m² paper, for the intersection of two pen strokes (in the lowercase ‘t’).

large.830432720_JacquesHerbinGrisdeHoulereviewsheet-shading.jpg.ce95233a817bb6770972884aee8be9ea.jpg

Shading: Lots of shading to be observed when ‘printing’ in English and/or writing in Chinese, due to the high incidence of touching/intersecting short lines, but probably less shading that you would expect from a grey ink when writing in a cursive hand with long unbroken strokes.

Sheen: Not observed on Rhodia Dotpad 80g/m² paper or Arttec Como Drawing Pad 210gsm paper for mixed media art, even where I let a drop of ink fall and splatter.

large.1442879098_JacquesHerbinGrisdeHouleswatchesonArttecComo.jpg.0e124e67ced619ce26a2a69def92be19.jpg

My verdict: I think this is a very good grey ink that does not lean towards any hue, is quick to dry, and offers good water resistance; that shading largely only manifest itself in short pen strokes or where lines intersect is not a shortcoming to me, especially for how I write what I write. For the life of me though, I just couldn't get this ink to exhibit that lovely shift to green I see on marketing images and others' reviews of this ink; that's a little bit of a disappointment.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• yazeh

• Tas

• mizgeorge

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ASD - great review as always - and far from lazy IMO! 

This is one of my favourites in the lighter to mid grey range - I love its simplicity, but I'd never tested water resistance, and I'm surprisingly impressed. 

It would be rare for me not to like a Herbin ink, and this one's right  up there. 

Good one dill! 

I'm not into to greys, unless a pencil but I have to admit gris de houle sounds more mysterious than swell grey...

Early 90's Bangs

Great review and handwriting, as always. 

I prefer inks with a strong grey component for writing but still with hue and don't like neutral greys ... but this one is just the right tint for me, at least with the pen/paper combinations you used, and looks good with all varieties of line widths you show here. It's very attractive.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

Thank you for a great review - very informative. I like the fact that this Gris De Houle from Jacques Herbin is more saturated than the J. Herbin Gris Nuage I have been playing with recently. Works better with finer nibs. 

Unfortunately, Gris de Houle shares some shortcomings with Gris Nuage: both have a tendency to spread & feather on paper types that don’t have hard surfaces. I suspect that they share the same DNA (coming from the same ink maker). This makes me use them less often than I otherwise would.

Thanks, Dill!  Very informative review.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this performs in my EF reviews (whenever we get there). :)

Thanks, everyone.

@namrehsnoom It was partly your great review of Herbin Gris Nuage that inspired me to review this ink; I haven't felt at all motivated to do a review for a while. The other reason for the timing is that a friend on here asked me about this ink, and I wanted to give her the chance to make an informed decision whether she wants to pick it up at A$10 a 50ml bottle while she still has the (rapidly closing) opportunity to do so. ;)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.