Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

A lovely couple


TheDutchGuy
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’m a big fan of the Pilot Justus 95 and own two: a stock F in chrome trim and a M in gold trim that Anabelle Hiller just changed into the most amazing soft mini-stub that I’ve ever had the pleasure of using. 

 

88DE979F-66DD-4DB0-B252-37394DDDCC0F.thumb.jpeg.d4cbe704473a6747f288e37471c8bfcb.jpeg

 

The stub is a very soft, super-smooth floaty thing that glides over the paper. Note that the line variation is strictly due to the grind. The F is totally stock and I’ve adored that pen ever since I first laid hand on it. Both writing samples show the soft (i.e. wet) setting. Changing to the hard (i.e. dry) setting reduces ink flow and thereby saturation and line width, while making the nib feel less soft.

 

A pair like this will never back me into a corner. Top quality, reliable, durable, comfortable and (most of all) diverse.

 

💘

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • manolo

    1

  • PithyProlix

    2

  • a student

    1

  • TheDutchGuy

    4

1 hour ago, TheDutchGuy said:

I’m a big fan of the Pilot Justus 95 and own two: a stock F in chrome trim and a M in gold trim that Anabelle Hiller just changed into the most amazing soft mini-stub that I’ve ever had the pleasure of using. 

 

88DE979F-66DD-4DB0-B252-37394DDDCC0F.thumb.jpeg.d4cbe704473a6747f288e37471c8bfcb.jpeg

 

The stub is a very soft, super-smooth floaty thing that glides over the paper. Note that the line variation is strictly due to the grind. The F is totally stock and I’ve adored that pen ever since I first laid hand on it. Both writing samples show the soft (i.e. wet) setting. Changing to the hard (i.e. dry) setting reduces ink flow and thereby saturation and line width, while making the nib feel less soft.

 

A pair like this will never back me into a corner. Top quality, reliable, durable, comfortable and (most of all) diverse.

 

💘

Nice; enjoy!

The nib viewed from above, as in the photograph, gives the fleeting impression of a Sailor Emperor nib!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thing is freaking amazing 🤩. So soft and bouncy and feathery and floaty. And so incredibly smooth yet somehow offering good control. Vert Atlantide seems to be just the right ink for it. Consider me over the moon 🤪.

 

DC8B8B1A-1831-4FF8-B9CE-813E0E561774.thumb.jpeg.f6533dc282bfd8504a0ebb1b8a0e49c3.jpeg23DC13E0-9F76-44B6-B08B-9C707E60C149.thumb.jpeg.d0ed04ab9c13375ecc751a84863fb969.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats! I enjoyed seeing the results.  The pens without writing aren't as interesting (to me).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).



Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar



Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 366 Inks in 2016



Check out inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does the nib softness/hardness adjustment change the line much, is it mainly a change in the feel, or ... ?

(Vert Atlantide 😍)

"Most people enjoy the sight of their own handwriting as they enjoy the smell of their own farts." - W. H. Auden

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Does the nib softness/hardness adjustment change the line much, is it mainly a change in the feel, or ... ?

 

Opinions vary on this. Some folks consider this a pen with a variable amount of flex, as can be seen on various YT vids. But Pilot doesn’t advertise it as a flex pen, and rightly so. It isn’t. The nib is soft, not flex. If you push down, you can get some variation. But if that is your goal then I would suggest other pens than the Justus. The softness adjuster is just that: it changes how soft or rigid the nib feels on paper. Depending on your writing pressure, the softness difference can be very subtle or it can be profound. The adjuster also changes the wetness of the pen. Soft mode is considerably more wet than rigid mode and it is this increased wetness that mostly attributes to the line width on the page. In rigid mode, the F is a real Japanese F, i.e. considerably more fine than a Western F. In soft mode, depending on ink, paper and writing pressure, the F can range from Western EF to Western F (just as an indication, not to be taken too literally). The M is comparable to a Western M in both soft and rigid settings, but (much) wetter in the soft mode.

 

Whether or not the adjuster adds something to your writing experience is personal. Some perceive it as a gimmick, some as a revelation.

 

No single pen is suitable for everybody, but if you have a chance to try a Justus then by all means try it.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2021 at 2:32 PM, manolo said:

congratulations!! that stub seems awesome

 

Thank you! It is! Super-soft, super-smooth and crisp. It turns a good M into something really special.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonderful! I really love mine but that stub, wow!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

                                                 My Favorite Pen Restorer                                 My Favorite Brick and Mortar Store

                                                                                                                                Vanness Pens - Now selling Online!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TheDutchGuy said:

 

Opinions vary on this. Some folks consider this a pen with a variable amount of flex, as can be seen on various YT vids. But Pilot doesn’t advertise it as a flex pen, and rightly so. It isn’t. The nib is soft, not flex. If you push down, you can get some variation. But if that is your goal then I would suggest other pens than the Justus. The softness adjuster is just that: it changes how soft or rigid the nib feels on paper. Depending on your writing pressure, the softness difference can be very subtle or it can be profound. The adjuster also changes the wetness of the pen. Soft mode is considerably more wet than rigid mode and it is this increased wetness that mostly attributes to the line width on the page. In rigid mode, the F is a real Japanese F, i.e. considerably more fine than a Western F. In soft mode, depending on ink, paper and writing pressure, the F can range from Western EF to Western F (just as an indication, not to be taken too literally). The M is comparable to a Western M in both soft and rigid settings, but (much) wetter in the soft mode.

 

Whether or not the adjuster adds something to your writing experience is personal. Some perceive it as a gimmick, some as a revelation.

 

No single pen is suitable for everybody, but if you have a chance to try a Justus then by all means try it.

 

 

Wonderful explanation - thank you. Hope I have a chance to try one some day. 

"Most people enjoy the sight of their own handwriting as they enjoy the smell of their own farts." - W. H. Auden

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



  • Most Contributions

    1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
      37978
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
      31104
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
      28220
    4. jar
      jar
      26101
    5. wimg
      wimg
      25602
  • Upcoming Events

  • Blog Comments

    • A Smug Dill
      @Texas42 Thank you. I myself have recently had the experience of cleaning out a Wing Sung 699, in which the iron-gall ink has been sitting for six months. No damage to the metal piston rod (whereas, in a Wing Sung 3013 vacuum-filler, it would have been corroded, turned green, and contaminated the ink in mere weeks), but there was a ring of colour at the far end of the barrel that wouldn't budge, and I found it impossible to unscrew the filling mechanism to clean the interior wall of the ink rese
    • Texas42
      Dang. You are a great friend!   One comment as a relative newcomer would be within the cleaning section: issues/differences in cleaning vacuum filler, piston filler in addition to cartridge/converter. I just cleaned out my Pilot 823 and while it wasn't particularly difficult I was a little paranoid about the drops of water that I could not get out. Perhaps this is something you are already including.   Anyway, great project and very thoughtful of you. I know it's a project fo
    • Splat
      Ah Ruaidhri ya wee heid banger, you do indeed have an Irishman’s way wid dose words now. I’ll be from outer Aberdeenshire up in the blizzard riven braes of the Grampians.  Amateur medicine and surgery is it? Well what noble aspirations you do possess, we need to encourage such noble experimentations.  I pondered on leaving my own battered shell to science, but, until I read your pearls of wisdom and lament, I had comedown on the side of leaving my body to Findus frozen foods.  However, your rema
    • austollie
      Hi Smug Dill,   Nice project.  If it were me, I'd cover stuff like: - nib types available, i.e. styles, materials (SS vs gold), flex vs nails; - filling systems (I love the "thingie" comment) and how once can use them in practice (e.g. fill cartridges with a syringe); - pen body materials and their consequences (pen not balanced of too heavy and big for the hand); - and, whilst you've made it clear that you do not like vintage pens, a discussion of these beyond "I d
    • A Smug Dill
      Thanks for your input! Yes, not putting wood in the list of body materials warranting a mention was an oversight. I love pens with wooden bodies, but my main concern, or chagrin, is that I have not come across a wooden-bodied pen with a wooden cap that seals well. Actually, there is one, but it isn't really wood per se: the Pilot Custom Kaede's maple body is resin impregnated. All other wooden pens I have can dry out while capped and undisturbed; that includes several Platinum #3776 models.
  • Chatbox

    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. arthurm
      arthurm
      (22 years old)
    2. BMS
      BMS
      (61 years old)
    3. cacatua
      cacatua
      (72 years old)
    4. Cmg.sweet
      Cmg.sweet
    5. Dennis B
      Dennis B
      (74 years old)





×
×
  • Create New...