• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncial

• Michael R.

• meiers

• a student

1 hour ago, Michael R. said:

Montblanc has launched a website displaying some of their current editions.

This year‘s WE is included 😉

https://collectorspreview.com

Cheers

Michael

What an interesting site. There are pens... and there are pens. These are really impressive. Maki-e looks surprisingly good on Montblancs, though the style is quite different from Namiki's.

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

Yes, I really enjoy that site.

Lots of pens some (most?) of us cannot afford but still appreciate to view!

I like the images of the manufacturing process and different steps of creation a lot.

And the regular Doyle WE looks much better than on the images leaked before.

Cheers

Michael 

5 minutes ago, Uncial said:

Can we have a pen made of that iceberg effect that isn't a Doyle?

Of course...you can go ahead and order an Artisan 1/1 just for you 😉

As far as I know they will include the flight ticket for you to Hamburg!

It's a hard pass on the Doyle for me. The clip is too much and I'm not overly fond of the semi-industrial look of a lot of these recent editions.

2 minutes ago, Michael R. said:

Of course...you can go ahead and order an Artisan 1/1 just for you 😉

As far as I know they will include the flight ticket for you to Hamburg!

The free flight almost makes it sound like a bargain.......but I guess the pen would cost the same as a sizeable lottery win.

10 hours ago, Michael R. said:

Cheers

Michael

Michael, you are a mine of knowledge, and a very kind friend of your passionate pen pals here on the forum. Thank you!

I agree with you that, even when most of the ones showcased in MB pages are largely unattainable for most of us, it is nonetheless a great pleasure to admire them.

I was particularly intrigued by the Limited Edition 1 set with eight maki-e fountain pens decorated with seasonal scenes. Apparently, for every season there are two pens, one of each season with a curved nib, the other with a flexible nib. What a treasure to own!

15 hours ago, Michael R. said:

Cheers

Michael

thank you!! I really like the “regular” Doyle… 

Thanks A1979, I like the cone on the 1902 but not sure about the barrel.  Looks like the rumours of a special edition appearing at the lower level were false, still all limited editions but no clue as to how limited - Kipling and Hugo are still widely available so perhaps an even smaller production run this year? 

Think I prefer Doyle to the last two editions and also think I prefer the standard version to the 1902 on balance,  of course you never can really tell until you hold them.

Maybe a teal ink? That would be good..., just not another blue please MB, although we don’t have to buy them of course..

On 5/7/2021 at 10:30 AM, Michael R. said:

Cheers

Michael

Thank you for the link

The Conan Doyle WE "plebeian" edition does have some appeal. Some of the overly limited editions seem to be better suited to the high end jewellery domain; to be bought for that reason perhaps

As a non-MB owner/user (but someone who admires the opulence of the LEs), do people typically collect them as presentation items or to actually use? Presumably those who acquire the very LE editions think twice before inking up? Do they typically offer the durability needed for regular use?

Welcome views.

2 hours ago, Heinkle said:

As a non-MB owner/user (but someone who admires the opulence of the LEs), do people typically collect them as presentation items or to actually use? Presumably those who acquire the very LE editions think twice before inking up? Do they typically offer the durability needed for regular use?

Welcome views.

I don't have Artisan Edition (LE < 100 in general) but all my LE (Great Characters, Writers Edition and PoA) and my non-LE are used and inked. I don't buy pens to keep them in the box.

5 hours ago, Heinkle said:

Welcome views.

Given that there nibs and filling systems are at their heart those of the 146 (except for certain 149-sized releases from long ago), I'd suspect most buyers of the really high-end stuff just collect them, as perhaps in the case of Namiki Emperors vs the standard Namiki No. 50.

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

13 hours ago, Heinkle said:

Welcome views.

yes, no problem on that count, I only have 1 MB LE that I haven’t inked (Imperial Dragon) although I don’t have any pens with a run of less than about 1900. The LE pens are all absolutely fit for purpose though and in the Writers collection, for example, the likes of Verne, Twain, Mann and many others provide a magnificent writing experience. Personally I agree with Cyrillle, for me the pens are owned to be used and enjoyed! 

17 hours ago, Heinkle said:

Welcome views.

Well, I had the occasion once of seeing someone's fountain pen collection. Among them was a MB skeleton in yellow gold with the country's flag with diamonds and such precious stones providing the flag colours (thus enhancing the monetary value and price). My sense was that it was a LE of 1 produced to order. I learnt that it was a present. It had evidently not been used.

So some of these rather expensive pens are produced only to be given as gifts.