What is you favorite pen holder you have used, straight or oblique.

Finriel

Hey y’all wondering what are some great pen holders straight and oblique.
Also wondering about good dip pen ink.

thanks in advance!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Finriel

• Grayspoole

• mizgeorge

• Zookie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I'm more into everyday kind of writing, and not calligraphy, I use a straight holder. This was, by far, the most common holder when dip pens were king. 

I use several: a few modern, most old. If I had to choose one, and only one, I would go with the Palmer Method ones. I have a few red ones, and more than a few green ones. The color doesn't really matter. The size is just right for my hands, and that's what is important. Many modern ones are too big, like some of the ones with cork grips. Modern ones that are simple, straight wooden holders also work, but I find the vintage ones will accommodate a larger variety of nib sizes, while modern ferrules often balk at some of the more obscure larger nibs. (not talking Esterbrook Mammoth pens, those still need a whole different holder)

These are the Palmer Method holders I prefer, seen in red. I do also like the Eagle school ones with the brass ferrule on the outside of the wooden holder. And I like an old holder I have of unknown material (feels almost like glass or stone), with a small, enameled copper plaque on the end. It just feels good in the hand. Those would probably be my favorites. 

straight holder example 2.jpg

Eagle school holder.jpg

Enamel mystery holder.png

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Thank you!

Do you think those pen holders would be capable of holding something like a Principality or Gillott 357?

looking around for an Oscar magnussen oblique of course those are basically once in a decade acquisitions from what I hear.

wasn’t sure where to even begin with straight holders though. what do you think about the idea of switchable holders from oblique to straight and vice versa?

If you are just starting out, I would also recommend a straight holder. It can be used with many different types of nibs, both pointed and broad edged (italic). Obliques are recommended by many for roundhand and Spencerian styles of calligraphy but they are not essential. The choice of straight vs. oblique is a personal one.  I have a variety of holders, vintage and new, and I use them depending on my needs and inclinations.

Most straight holders have a similar pronged insert at the end that will accommodate many different types of nibs. I don’t use convertible holders. With oblique holders, it’s important to adjust the flange to a correct angle, and I prefer to leave my oblique holders alone once I’ve set them.

In the US, John Neal and Paper and Ink Arts offer a wide selection of holders, and Scribblers in the UK does 

too. I also like the ebonite straight holder from Osprey Pens very much. The Yoke Pen Company produces beautiful custom holders and also offers an affordable convertible straight/oblique. The digitally printed holders in different “vintage” shapes are also very appealing.

My favorite dip pen inks are Moon Palace sumi ink, Tom Norton “Walnut Ink,” and walnut ink crystals with some gum arabic mixed in. There are so many wonderful inks and paints that can be used with dip pens. Most fountain pen inks are too thin and dry, but you can always try them. Herbin’s Perle Noir works well with dip pens.

A Oscar Magnusson holder is by no means necessary to enjoy practicing beautiful writing.

I was gifted a nice bottle of Speedball Super Black India Ink that I'm wanting to try. I also picked up some French nibs that look nice. I'll try one of those out later today. Not sure which pen holder though. The nib is an N. Letailleur no.1 

has anyone ever heard of them?

3 hours ago, Zookie said:

I was gifted a nice bottle of Speedball Super Black India Ink that I'm wanting to try. I also picked up some French nibs that look nice. I'll try one of those out later today. Not sure which pen holder though. The nib is an N. Letailleur no.1 

has anyone ever heard of them?

I have many vintage French nibs that I love to use.

Is this what you have? It looks like a short stub that would be good for italic and other scripts made with an edged pen..

Found it here..http://shop.kallipos.de/en/suche?artikelname=&field_product_field_skustripped=&volltext=Letailleur

4B5D1EB9-6B74-4760-8841-4F7228885C39.png

I have a couple of handfuls of nib holders, both ancient and modern, but I'm currently really enjoying a new one - a 'moblique' 2-in-1 (so can be used both straight and oblique. It's a nice balanced shape, has a storage space within the body for a couple of spare nibs, and feels good in the hand. 

5 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

I have a couple of handfuls of nib holders, both ancient and modern, but I'm currently really enjoying a new one - a 'moblique' 2-in-1 (so can be used both straight and oblique. It's a nice balanced shape, has a storage space within the body for a couple of spare nibs, and feels good in the hand. 

I don’t have a Moblique holder but I have been thinking of getting one. Very nice colors!

11 hours ago, Grayspoole said:

I don’t have a Moblique holder but I have been thinking of getting one. Very nice colors!

I got mine because I liked the colour (shallow, I know!), but have found I really like it. Nice balance and length. I was worried it might be too light, but have found in reality that I now find some of my other holders too heavy by comparison, and I very much like the angle of the flange. It fits most of the nibs I use, and you can buy spare flanges (which I will definitely do) to set them for specific nibs rather than adjusting on the fly. I plan to get at least a couple more. I don't really fancy the metallic once, but the pastels and the plain 'ivory' colour are very nice indeed  - and they're a great price - about the same as a basic Tachikawa here. I'd definitely recommend.

2 hours ago, Finriel said:

Do you know if it will fit a Gillott 657ef?

I don't have this particular nib (in honesty, I've never heard of it), but the regular Gillott nibs I have fit fine in both oblique and regular format. However, If the 657 is like the 659, it may be mapping size, which needs a smaller fitting.

Edited to say, having just seen another post of yours, I think you're talking about a 357, which is an Esterbrook nib, not a Gillott one. If so, then it will fit just fine.

Thank you, yes it is a 357. I just misspelled it the first time:headsmack: