Back to the basic - Moonman C3

Mech-for-i

Not expecting this but this prop up on my casual online window shopping , according to the item page this is eyedropper or C/C , it's kind of Duofold style with all the extra off. You got the nib unit ( in clear sleeve ) , the section, the barrel, the cap ( with a metal roll stop with the branding ) and the converter and that's it. 

It come in this demonstrator blue grey , or all clear , or blue .. 

1620302849604.thumb.jpg.673529e221fde7e7ac1e8ec246bca035.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Licue

• A Smug Dill

• ethernautrix

• Mech-for-i

Oo, that's pretty!

Currently, I'm using a Moonman C2 with a Pilot #10 PO nib (which wouldn't fit this C3 if the C3 uses a #5), but this C3 is much prettier.

Do you know if it can be used as an eye-dropper?

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

On 5/6/2021 at 2:24 PM, Mech-for-i said:

Not expecting this but this prop up on my casual online window shopping , according to the item page this is eyedropper or C/C , it's kind of Duofold style with all the extra off. You got the nib unit ( in clear sleeve ) , the section, the barrel, the cap ( with a metal roll stop with the branding ) and the converter and that's it. 

It come in this demonstrator blue grey , or all clear , or blue .. 

1620302849604.thumb.jpg.673529e221fde7e7ac1e8ec246bca035.jpg

I have one of/like these on the way - in the color pictured 🙂

Imo it looks very nice - except for the gold colored nib which imo doesn't fit well with the silver rollstop, so I might exchange the nib for an other.

BUT - and I've been meaning to ask about that here.. - mine was listed as a "Mojiang C3" with the pictures showing the rollstop without the MOONMAN name...

I've noticed this quite often recently, both on Ebay and Aliexpress: Moonman (and Delike) fountain pens and nibs listed as "Mojiang" and (sometimes) with the Moonman name photoshopped out in the pictures.

🤔🤨

Does anyone know what's up with that?

46 minutes ago, ethernautrix said:

Judging from pics and description of my "Mojiang" order, probably yes.

2 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

Oo, that's pretty!

Currently, I'm using a Moonman C2 with a Pilot #10 PO nib (which wouldn't fit this C3 if the C3 uses a #5), but this C3 is much prettier.

yes it can be eyedroppered, its stated on the item page

9 hours ago, Licue said:

Judging from pics and description of my "Mojiang" order, probably yes.

7 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

yes it can be eyedroppered, its stated on the item page

Hmm. that makes it even more appealing.... Thank you both!

etherX in To Miasto

11 hours ago, Licue said:

I have one of/like these on the way - in the color pictured 🙂

Imo it looks very nice - except for the gold colored nib which imo doesn't fit well with the silver rollstop, so I might exchange the nib for an other.

BUT - and I've been meaning to ask about that here.. - mine was listed as a "Mojiang C3" with the pictures showing the rollstop without the MOONMAN name...

I've noticed this quite often recently, both on Ebay and Aliexpress: Moonman (and Delike) fountain pens and nibs listed as "Mojiang" and (sometimes) with the Moonman name photoshopped out in the pictures.

🤔🤨

Does anyone know what's up with that?

Kaweco has the international trademark on the name "Moonman" and has been actively enforcing it on such sites as Ebay, Amazon, etsy....

See this link:    

16 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

H9eca69054db943feb3616faf5106b34cR.jpg

Source: AliExpress

The pen on the left is either using the entire cavity of the barrel as its ink reservoir, or sporting a really bad leak. 😏  Either way, the retail package from Moonman includes an eyedropper in the box.

H6e4136d234954429878736a5039aba52V.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

13 hours ago, JungleJim said:

Kaweco has the international trademark on the name "Moonman" and has been actively enforcing it on such sites as Ebay, Amazon, etsy....

See this link:    

😲 😬

Thanks for the link! Really interesting.

I'm rather surprised Kaweco is behind this. I mean, of course I was aware that Moonman/Delike has some pens that are quite ..umm.. similar to Kaweco's. But it's not like Kaweco are the only one they took "inspiration" from (not even the most blatant case imo).

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Moonman's copycat tendecies, but this kinda makes me think a bit less of Kaweco too tbh...

(also I wonder if this trademark would even hold up in court if challenged...)

1 hour ago, Licue said:

😲 😬

Thanks for the link! Really interesting.

I'm rather surprised Kaweco is behind this. I mean, of course I was aware that Moonman/Delike has some pens that are quite ..umm.. similar to Kaweco's. But it's not like Kaweco are the only one they took "inspiration" from (not even the most blatant case imo).

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Moonman's copycat tendecies, but this kinda makes me think a bit less of Kaweco too tbh...

(also I wonder if this trademark would even hold up in court if challenged...)

I think Lamy is doing this in a more graceful manner , both the Safari and the Sport had long had their rights ( industrial design IP ) expired , the Kaweco Sport in particular since the design is there pre war, and when Germany lost WW-II , one of the war price thus is any industrial design / patent / IP German industry hold then are open to the world after the war. Basically they are all public domain. Its just plain stupid to trying to stop another company taking cue from a decades old public domain design or copying it. Industry actually thrive and work on that , else no technology / design can spread. Now I do not buy the copycat approach myself, thus I never buy the copycats myself , but I do understand this is after all, a business and so long the law allows, well, the law allows !!

I am actually surprised that Kaweco can trademark the name , cause AFAIK, EU/US both had trademark law that dictate you cannot trademark a name that's already on the market ( and not of your own ). That had been challenged multiple time in the court ( perhaps best known case being Apple Computer vs Apple Records )

11 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

H9eca69054db943feb3616faf5106b34cR.jpg

The pen on the left is either using the entire cavity of the barrel as its ink reservoir, or sporting a really bad leak. 😏  Either way, the retail package from Moonman includes an eyedropper in the box.

H6e4136d234954429878736a5039aba52V.jpg

That's a very appealing pen. I don't have a Pilot PO nib that would fit it, but maybe a Pilot #5 F or EF (the EF is on its way to me as I'm writing this). Hrmm...

Thanks for the photos!

etherX in To Miasto

6 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

I think Lamy is doing this in a more graceful manner , both the Safari and the Sport had long had their rights ( industrial design IP ) expired , the Kaweco Sport in particular since the design is there pre war, and when Germany lost WW-II , one of the war price thus is any industrial design / patent / IP German industry hold then are open to the world after the war. Basically they are all public domain. Its just plain stupid to trying to stop another company taking cue from a decades old public domain design or copying it. Industry actually thrive and work on that , else no technology / design can spread. Now I do not buy the copycat approach myself, thus I never buy the copycats myself , but I do understand this is after all, a business and so long the law allows, well, the law allows !!

I am actually surprised that Kaweco can trademark the name , cause AFAIK, EU/US both had trademark law that dictate you cannot trademark a name that's already on the market ( and not of your own ). That had been challenged multiple time in the court ( perhaps best known case being Apple Computer vs Apple Records )

Eh, not sure if the design is indeed fully unprotected by now - tho I tend to agree that it probably should be, considering it is quite old and/or very basic.

And yes, I would assume that the names already being in use as brands should be a problem.

Plus the fact that Kaweco does not seem to actually use the Moonman (or Delike or Wing Sung (I just read in the other thread that they trademarked these two too 🙄)) name for any products - so that apparently the sole reason for this trademarking is to mess with a competitor..

9 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

That blue-gray is a very appealing color!

That's my favorite too (blue grey > clear > (dark) blue, imo for this pen) 😀

But I just don't understand why they went for a gold colored nib...😑

My C3 arrived yesterday 🙂

A few observations:

- if you prefer bigger/longer FPs and/or always want to post the cap, the C3 probably isn't for you. While it's not a mini FP, it is slightly on the shorter side. And the cap posts only very poorly.

- the rollstop with "MOONMAN" on it looks kinda cheap. The chroming(?) shows some imperfections and the writing is too bold. Plain silver without any writing (like it was in the photoshopped Mojiang pictures) would look better imo. (also the rollstop offers only rather limited protection against rolling away...)

- the nib unit can be screwed out, and is probably the same as in the Wancai Mini and the M2

- the gold colored nib... just like expected I don't like its look (for this pen). With the rollstop and the converter detail being silver colored, why don't do the same for the nib, Moonman people? You even have a silver colored nib of the exact same design in your student/youth pen...

(just in case the above sounded a bit negative: nah, I quite like the pen so far 😉

Haven't inked it yet, but I don't expect any major surprises there)

On 5/11/2021 at 1:38 AM, A Smug Dill said:

The pen on the left is a smaller pen than the pen on the right and doesn't have the same black end cone on it's barrel. Is it possible that the pen on the left is the well known C2 eye dropper filler and the pen on the right is the new C3 that has been adjusted/extended to take a converter?

4 minutes ago, Dione said:

Is it possible that the pen on the left is the well known C2 eye dropper filler

I don't think so.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q="moonman+c2"&tbm=isch

The Moonman C2's barrel has a different taper at the end to what is shown on either pen in the Moonman C3 marketing image above.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

9 minutes ago, Dione said:

The pen on the left is a smaller pen than the pen on the right and doesn't have the same black end cone on it's barrel. Is it possible that the pen on the left is the well known C2 eye dropper filler and the pen on the right is the new C3 that has been adjusted/extended to take a converter?

No, I don't think so. The Moonman C2 looks significantly different, both in cap and in body (and even in color).

I think the size differences and the missing dark end in that pic are due to perspective and/or photoshop.

7 minutes ago, Licue said:

No, I don't think so. The Moonman C2 looks significantly different, both in cap and in body (and even in color).

I think the size differences and the missing dark end in that pic are due to perspective and/or photoshop.

I disagree that they would use perspective or Photoshop to change the picture of the pen so significantly. The barrel on the pen on the left is obviously shorter and has a nicely faceted end without the dark end on the other pen.