Did I just try a forbidden pen?

agentdaffy007

Walked into a MB Boutique to try an OBB nib and when I uncapped the 146, it was a flex nib with the exact same pattern as the MB 149 Calligraphy (which I own). I wrote it it a little bit. The tipping was very odd. It almost had no iridium and it was a rather large point (Medium).

In any case, they made a mistake of fitting that nib on the body of a MB 146 with the marking of OBB.

Thought it would be a good idea to share this experience with you all.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• agentdaffy007

• Michael R.

• zaddick

• jagwap

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They make a 146 flex nib which has been used on the gold leaf calligraphy solitaire. This one has the same imprint on top of the nib. Also Montblanc announced to offer a regular black 146 with the flex calligraphy nib still this year. But from my experience those nibs have fairly big tipping (round from viewing above, but flat when viewing from the front).

You should ask your boutique about the details 🙂

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael, that's exactly it. Round from the top but flat at the bottom. I tried it thinking I was going to try OBB but upon closed look, it's the yellow gold Calligraphy nib on a 146 instead of the 149.

I still think the 149 version is much better because it is essentially and EF nib.

Yes, much more pronounced on the 149: finer nib with more flex.

Strange to find this nib on a demonstrator marked OBB!

5 hours ago, Michael R. said:

Yes, much more pronounced on the 149: finer nib with more flex.

Strange to find this nib on a demonstrator marked OBB!

Fits the trend of boutique people not knowing much about "those pens in the corner." 😁

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

That sounds like the 146 flex calligraphy nib demonstrator they let me play with when I was buying my 149 flex. The one you saw.was maybe just mislabeled? 

Guessing mislabeled also. If you've looked at even one, an OBB is hard to mistake for anything else(except maybe for an O3B, but it's even stubbier and I don't think at least now O3B is a regular offering on the 146).

Yes, it was mislabeled. They came back with another pen that's written OBB on the barrel.