Lamy 2000 Makrolon Review- Masterpiece since 2016 but it too has some flaws you must know before buying!!

punjabi

Of course there are small items that can get lost when disassembling, this is why you shouldn't disassemble your pen (certainly not on on a regular basis). If you drive a car and the oil needs changing, do you take the engine apart? No, you just drain the oil, change the filter and fill up with oil again (so no flushing what you would do with your pen).
Packaging: it may not be a fancy box, but last time I tried, I was writing with the pen, not with the box...

And designwise my preferences are

• I like a bit of colour in my pens
  • I don't like snap caps
  • I like to see a large nib (decorated if possible)

Despite the Lamy 2000 not ticking any of those boxes it is one of my favourite pens and rarely uninked. The semi-hooded nib has plenty of character to make it thorougly enjoyable to me (bit of spring, not a featureless blob). This is very much a personal opinion, and we should be careful about extrapolating our personal opinions to some objective statement. For instance: some might prefer the stainless steel Lamy 2000 because it has a bit of weight to it, while I prefer the Macrolon one just because it's fairly light.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• 1nkulus

• Estycollector

• TgeekB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Geert Jan said:

Despite the Lamy 2000 not ticking any of those boxes it is one of my favourite pens and rarely uninked. The semi-hooded nib has plenty of character to make it thorougly enjoyable to me (bit of spring, not a featureless blob). This is very much a personal opinion, and we should be careful about extrapolating our personal opinions to some objective statement. For instance: some might prefer the stainless steel Lamy 2000 because it has a bit of weight to it, while I prefer the Macrolon one just because it's fairly light.

Glad you are enjoying the pen.  👍  It is elegant and timeless, IMO.

Pens are a subjective purchase which is why we have different styles at various price points. I prefer the SS variant for the heft.

IMO, a L2K is a lovely addition to any collection.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

One must not forget: Every culture conditions its members. The West, for example, loves records (73 hot dogs in 10 minutes...), Olympic Games and world champions in every game (Arnold Classics...).
One worships success and any wealth of material or spiritual kind, the main thing is to rank somewhere high and feel superior to others. 
One could say: Dominance is a characteristic of western culture, which all others have now taken as a model.

India used to be different. India had a completely different idea of what life, love and truth meant. 
While the West chose attachment, that is, identification with fountain pens, for example, and one is therefore immediately offended if someone says something critical about a fountain pen that one oneself values and considers the ultimate, ancient India pursued the principle of non-attachment, non-binding, an idea of freedom based on non-identification.

Therefore, for instance, in such a review it is important to always give a strong contra next to the pro, no matter if justified or not; simply in order to not allow any kind of appropriation by the object here.
A Westerner would therefore say: The Lamy 2000 is a perfect product. There is nothing to improve on it.
In the West, people indulge in superlatives: the best, the greatest, the most successful, the ...
An Easterner, on the other hand, would never allow such a statement. The whole way of thinking is different. 
Well: has been. Now they even have McDonalds there and organize hamburger-eating contests as well.
Unfortunately, this gentleman here has never commented on the subject of fountain pens:

S2240038.thumb.jpg.f1de36b148c494716628628d685b6404.jpg

I myself, of course, think it much wiser not to get into the pros and cons in the first place, and that's why I've never bought a Lamy 2000. I am completely liberated from it.
But it doesn't make me happy, as far as I can tell. 
Maybe I should get one after all.

Go for it: you might get a pleasant surprise, and they are always worth having. :)

David

Edited by david-p

I.m about to buy a  OB nib Lamy 2000. if I find any flaws I'll report.But from all I know about this pen I don't expect anything but excellence.

On 5/4/2021 at 8:51 PM, punjabi said:

Cons-

• Poor Quality Control
  • Some very small parts can easily lost while cleaning or disassembling
  • Cap nubs could be annoying for few guys
  • Only 1 black color.
  • Poor Packaging
  • Retail prices are just too much & still Lamy is constantly increasing them
  • Some people don’t like hooded nibs

Firstly, to echo others - Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts down on "paper".

Ironically, the best part of this thread for prospective Lamy 2000 owners, is actually the counters to your "cons" list, and I have to agree with most of what has been said.

QC Issues? I've not seen anything major, and this is a *very* popular pen.

Small parts? I mean, yes, there is one small part - But it's part of the pen and as long as you aren't clumsy, it'll be OK.

Cap nubs? I'd be amazed if this was an issue for anyone. You'd have to hold the pen with a huge amount of force, in an unusual way for this to even register.

There are 2 standard colours (metal and black), and then limited edition runs from time to time.

Packaging? Mine was OK at best, but I'm not buying the pen for the packaging.

Price is tricky, as different markets have different prices. 

Hooded nibs? Well, some people may not, but they won't be buying a Lamy 2000 if they are :)

Anyway, it's always good to stir up conversation, so thanks for putting it out there!