Is Ink Coming From the Breather Hole/Slit Normal?

Jolly Good Fellow

Jolly Good Fellow

I just got my first fountain pen, (a Scrikss 419), and noticed that there is quite a bit of ink coming out of the breather hole/slit on top of the nib. I just filled it for the first time, and when I wiped the nib off after filling it, (it is a piston-fill pen), it left a lot of ink on the paper towel from touching the top of the nib. Every time I barely touch the breather hole/slit, quite a bit of ink soaks into the paper towel. Is this normal? This is my first time using a fountain pen, so I'm probably just being paranoid, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask. Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jolly Good Fellow

• A Smug Dill

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, if you press absorbent material against the hole or slit on the nib, ink will be drawn out. It's a different matter from ink just visibly seeping at the edges of the metal, though; that wouldn't be normal (or good).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct for valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.