Desperately need help deciding on danitrio vs namiki emperor

sidewinderwcc

First and foremost whichever pen I get will be a daily user. I am about to start a sabbatical where I am going to focus full time on finishing a trio of books I'm writing. 

I've decided to sell all of my pens that sit in a drawer and purchase an oversized pen. 

I had my heart set on a namiki emperor (also called number 50), but while looking for nib size comparisons I saw some senior members singing the praise of danitrio models which also caught my eye. 

So, for anyone that owns either a danitrio mikado or genshai, or a namiki emperor please let me know your thoughts on the pens. The only thing I worry about with the danitrio is the sharp step from the body of the pen and the section so I would appreciate any thoughts on using any of these pens for long periods. 

Also, I am banging my head trying to decide on a medium or broad nib on either pens so any thoughts there would also be greatly appreciated. 

Pretty much I just want to start a conversation about these pens and get others opinions. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinderwcc

• hari317

• jandrese

• CityPop

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I own a mikado. Used to own genkai. Sho genkai. Also own a no 50. No 50 is my choice. It’s miles ahead. Only issue is limited nib sizes and the B is not B enough for me. But still miles ahead. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

10 minutes ago, hari317 said:

I own a mikado. Used to own genkai. Sho genkai. Also own a no 50. No 50 is my choice. It’s miles ahead. Only issue is limited nib sizes and the B is not B enough for me. But still miles ahead. 

Thanks for the feedback! Do you have another nib you can compare the number 50 broad too? 

I have a pilot custom urushi with a broad and it's a little too broad and the sailor KOP broad I have is a little too fine. 

49 minutes ago, sidewinderwcc said:

Thanks for the feedback! Do you have another nib you can compare the number 50 broad too? 

I have a pilot custom urushi with a broad and it's a little too broad and the sailor KOP broad I have is a little too fine. 

Let me know which pen nib you want me to compare it to. I can do a writing sample and scan and post.  My no 50 is loaded with namiki black. . 

I have 845, 823 cap less etc. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, hari317 said:

Let me know which pen nib you want me to compare it to. I can do a writing sample and scan and post.  My no 50 is loaded with namiki black. . 

I have 845, 823 cap less etc. 

Thanks for that but I meant just in your opinion what nib do you have that you would compare it to, if that makes sense. 

I don't want you to have to do samples and all that. I have a medium and fine 823 that I can use as reference. 

But I appreciate the offer! 

The aesthetic of the standard #50 Emperors does not suit me. I love the roiro migaki/tamenuri finishes on the Danitrios. But I have experienced performance issues that detract, for me, the beauty of these pens. I may sell my Danitrios in favor for a maki-e/chinkin emperor. Anyway, for user, I would suggest the emperor, or maybe even the yukari royale. The emperor nib is truly large, and unwieldy at times for me. I also note that many users have no issues with the Danitrio nibs. However, for me(and me only) the pens do not function to my satisfaction (hard starts, skipping) even after a renowned nibmeister took a hand at tuning two of these pens.

In terms of line width, the FM emperor is quite a bit broader than my F 823, and the M Emperor is about the same width as a western Jowo medium, so I would guess also the same as an 823 medium. Of course all of this will vary with paper, ink, and tuning. The emperor nib is quite stiff, though softer than the 823 nib in my opinion. It is not as soft as the KOP nib.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: Made a writing Sample. The T in the Tomoe River was written with the Mikado, with the shutoff valve open. I thought I'd leave it with the skip to be complete. My Genkai is one of my best writers, but it is an old style nib, with the fat ebonite feed. I have had very bad luck with the new style nib.

Writingsample.thumb.jpg.8fad7ec8260d96e466d956a3003fdb33.jpg

fc2bb341-1649-4c07-ae27-88ded399d393.jfif

Edited by CityPop

1 hour ago, CityPop said:

The aesthetic of the standard #50 Emperors does not suit me. I love the roiro migaki/tamenuri finishes on the Danitrios. But I have experienced performance issues that detract, for me, the beauty of these pens. I may sell my Danitrios in favor for a maki-e/chinkin emperor. Anyway, for user, I would suggest the emperor, or maybe even the yukari royale. The emperor nib is truly large, and unwieldy at times for me. I also note that many users have no issues with the Danitrio nibs. However, for me(and me only) the pens do not function to my satisfaction (hard starts, skipping) even after a renowned nibmeister took a hand at tuning two of these pens.

In terms of line width, the FM emperor is quite a bit broader than my F 823, and the M Emperor is about the same width as a western Jowo medium, so I would guess also the same as an 823 medium. Of course all of this will vary with paper, ink, and tuning. The emperor nib is quite stiff, though softer than the 823 nib in my opinion. It is not as soft as the KOP nib.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: Made a writing Sample. The T in the Tomoe River was written with the Mikado, with the shutoff valve open. I thought I'd leave it with the skip to be complete. My Genkai is one of my best writers, but it is an old style nib, with the fat ebonite feed. I have had very bad luck with the new style nib.

Writingsample.thumb.jpg.8fad7ec8260d96e466d956a3003fdb33.jpg

fc2bb341-1649-4c07-ae27-88ded399d393.jfif 83.99 kB · 1 download

Thank you for the pic and info. I'm sorry to hear about the problems with the danitrios, especially for their price. 

6 minutes ago, sidewinderwcc said:

Thank you for the pic and info. I'm sorry to hear about the problems with the danitrios, especially for their price. 

No worries. I may still have another nibmeister take a crack at it still. I did want to note that my Namiki Emperor FM also had an issue. It was sent off to Pilot USA warranty, who has sent it to Japan for a new nib/adjustment, so in that sense I am quite pleased. Their response led me to buy both a yukari royale and a chinkin emperor, both of which I am extremely pleased with

Some points to consider...

Danitrio pros:

- lots of finishes and color options

- multiple shapes and lengths with the #8 nib

- nib is a Bock A380 so you can swap in other nibs without too much trouble

- Western nib widths so you can go wider

- Nibs are fairly soft

- ebonite feeds

Namiki pros:

- flagship pen

- usually flawless urushi

- urushi coated feed look (although they often develop bubbles)

- supersize nib that is famous

- classic shape and flared section

- comes in finer nib widths

- stiff and smooth nibs

Both have:

- Strong resale value

- high ink capacity

- Japanese eye dropper (though Namiki is more sophisticated)

- comfortable writing experience 

I collected Danitrio pens (all models except Yokozuna) and have had several Namiki #50 pens. I prefer the Mikado over the Genkai over the Namiki 50. I like stub nibs and softer nibs and more color variety so Danitrio spoke to me more. 

I actually prefer the Yukari Royale over the #50 Namiki as it feels better in my hand.

Happy to answer any specific questions. Also have some old comparison photos I can dig up if desired.

May I also suggest you consider a Tohma pen. They are all handmade in Japan and feature various materials and custom nib widths and characteristics. The lower end models are priced similar to retail Danitrio and Namiki prices.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I have multiple examples of all the pens you mention and more. Zaddick made many fine points. 

You might also consider the Platinum Izumo, which is an excellent and comfortable writer for a large pen. 

If buying sight unseen I'd stick to Danitrio with CC filler mechanisms and I'd trust the Platinum, Namiki, and to an ever so slightly less extent Taccia (the Miyabi line is large) to write well out of the box. Perhaps Namiki has the best quality control. Oh, then there is the Sailor KOP, which is also a fine pen.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I've made many posts here on these types of pens. 

1 hour ago, zaddick said:

Some points to consider...

Danitrio pros:

- lots of finishes and color options

- multiple shapes and lengths with the #8 nib

- nib is a Bock A380 so you can swap in other nibs without too much trouble

- Western nib widths so you can go wider

- Nibs are fairly soft

- ebonite feeds

Namiki pros:

- flagship pen

- usually flawless urushi

- urushi coated feed look (although they often develop bubbles)

- supersize nib that is famous

- classic shape and flared section

- comes in finer nib widths

- stiff and smooth nibs

Both have:

- Strong resale value

- high ink capacity

- Japanese eye dropper (though Namiki is more sophisticated)

- comfortable writing experience 

I collected Danitrio pens (all models except Yokozuna) and have had several Namiki #50 pens. I prefer the Mikado over the Genkai over the Namiki 50. I like stub nibs and softer nibs and more color variety so Danitrio spoke to me more. 

I actually prefer the Yukari Royale over the #50 Namiki as it feels better in my hand.

Happy to answer any specific questions. Also have some old comparison photos I can dig up if desired.

May I also suggest you consider a Tohma pen. They are all handmade in Japan and feature various materials and custom nib widths and characteristics. The lower end models are priced similar to retail Danitrio and Namiki prices.

Thanks for the info, I've been reading various threads where you've posted your thoughts, they have been helpful. 

I've decided to just get both. I am about to put some pens on the market to get them. I'd rather have those two vs a bunch of pens in drawers. 

When it comes time to order the danitrio I'll probably have a few questions about the options. 

I wasn't aware the danitrio mikada was a bock #8. I have a conid ki frozen and have multiple nibs with flex factory housings that I currently use so 8f I could slot them in the mikado that would be an amazing plus. 

Also, where are good places to purchase danitrio ones? 

I saw nibs.com no longer sells them. 

I found some on urushipen.com, does anyone have experience with them? 

6 hours ago, sidewinderwcc said:

Also, where are good places to purchase danitrio ones? 

I saw nibs.com no longer sells them. 

I found some on urushipen.com, does anyone have experience with them? 

I have purchased from urushipen.com, it’s the only place to get Danitrio stateside now. There used to be many options but now just one. No issues with my order.

This may not be of much help but I have had the good fortune of watching someone buy a Namiki Emperor at my local pen store a few years ago. 

All I have to say regarding that pen is:

1) That thing is BIG.

2) It's (red) Urushi is striking. It is quite 10-20 feet away.

Do you have a preference for nibs?

I personally prefer Pilot nibs anytime over a Bock/Jowo, as I find them pretty boring to use, but YMMV. I don't know if Danitrio tunes/grinds the nibs themselves or they leave that work to Bock...