EFNIR: 3 Oysters I.COLOR.U Hwangto

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: 3 Oysters I.COLOR.U Hwangto

This is review #97 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: The scan is a tiny bit too bright, the pictures are not quite bright enough.  Reality is somewhere in between. :) This appears to have that yellow-ish dye that never dries!  As expected, cleaning was ridiculously quick and easy.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.3OystersICOLORUHwangto.jpg.f6015f310c0df0fbe21b50ee8fe5975e.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.3OystersICOLORUHwangtoS.jpg.0aa6715a0c35c6353ac6bf9de673a49b.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.3OystersICOLORUHwangtoZ.jpg.bc61655b0787f5c100a028048ebd484f.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.3OystersICOLORUHwangtoAP.jpg.b576f0ad921a8d8a4891d7bfea9ea8a9.jpg

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: De Atramentis Document Blue.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• mizgeorge

• Sailor Kenshin

Top Posters In This Topic

Never dries?  Uhmmm....hold me back.  😜

It is, however, a very pretty color.  Thanks for the review!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

10 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Never dries?  Uhmmm....hold me back.  😜

:lticaptd: I'm pretty sure this is the same [something] that's in Noodler's Apache Sunset and Pilot Mixable Colour Yellow.

11 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

It is, however, a very pretty color.  Thanks for the review!

Yes, not a bad orangey color at all, but I'm thinking there must be one out there capable of drying before the user dies. ;) You're very welcome!

That seems like a nice editing ink...though if one has Apache sunset, I wonder if one needs that..

But no Apache sunset comparison, shocked 😜 🐈

Quin must have asked the secret police to come there as a diversion so he can ransack the kitchen for more bacon :D

6 minutes ago, yazeh said:

But no Apache sunset comparison, shocked 😜 🐈

:) Color-wise, they're not that similar (in my swatches).  It's just the eternal dry-time, though I suspect Hwangto just has some extra bit on top of the common neverdry ingredient.

7 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Quin must have asked the secret police to come there as a diversion so he can ransack the kitchen for more bacon

:lticaptd:

1 minute ago, LizEF said:

:) Color-wise, they're not that similar (in my swatches).  It's just the eternal dry-time, though I suspect Hwangto just has some extra bit on top of the common neverdry ingredient.

:lticaptd:

Apache is more on the reddish side... you're right... It has the secret neverdry ... :)

Thank you Liz, as always, for an excellent review.

It's very hard for me to get 3 Oysters here, and for once, I really don't mind. I have oranges I think I prefer, and the perpetual wetness factor is a real turn-off.

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Thank you Liz, as always, for an excellent review.

You're very welcome! :)

It's very hard for me to get 3 Oysters here, and for once, I really don't mind.

:lol:  Steel yourself for Hangangmul - I have high hopes for it.  Not sure about Doldam (some places show a cool grey, some a brownish grey).  Those are my only un-reviewed 3 Oysters (at present).

perpetual wetness factor is a real turn-off.

Really makes you wonder about the folks who make these inks, doesn't it?  I mean, do they test them?  And if they did, why still sell them, especially without some sort of "yeah, we know, we're sorry, but it's the only way to get this color" sticker.

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

You're very welcome! :)

:lol:  Steel yourself for Hangangmul - I have high hopes for it.  Not sure about Doldam (some places show a cool grey, some a brownish grey).  Those are my only un-reviewed 3 Oysters (at present).

Breath is bated! Sooner or later I'm going to have to find a sensible source for them - but I think I'd quite like it to be later!!

8 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Breath is bated! Sooner or later I'm going to have to find a sensible source for them - but I think I'd quite like it to be later!!

:lol: It seems like if sales in general increase, then the brand starts getting picked up by more and more stores in more and more countries.  So we clearly just need to convince people to buy more 3 Oysters and then Cult Pens (or someone) will start carrying the brand. ;)

Not an ink for me -- either for the color or the slow dry time.

But thanks as usual for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ah, finally an ink that I have.  After writing in dark blues,  browns, greens and red, Hwangto was a wondrous break.  But ultimately shelved as I found it too yellow to be orange and too orange to be yellow.  

51 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Not an ink for me -- either for the color or the slow dry time.

But thanks as usual for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Saving and emptying wallets everywhere, that's me. :D You're very welcome, Ruth!

24 minutes ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

But ultimately shelved as I found it too yellow to be orange and too orange to be yellow.  

:D Yeah, that sounds about right.  Straight down the middle.

• 10 months later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 275µm.

large.3OystersICOLORUHwangtoLW.jpg.4e505096973476fabc9e3db98853c0af.jpg