Top Posters In This Topic

• Echowind

• Warroom

• Rewpert

• Sharad Pratap

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/19/2021 at 1:03 AM, Warroom said:

I didn't participate in the group buy. However, I thought this group would be interested in seeing this picture of the Ambitious #35 nib in titanium. This was ordered from Ambitious with a Bock compatible housing.

unnamed (1).png

It will be great if you post some A-35 nib (as mentioned No 6) against Jowo No6 or Schmidt No 6 nib.

Today I get a woodex pen with A-35 (no 5 nib) - as they mentioned - when I see the nib size it is almost same as - Jowo No5.

I add the image for the ref.

Image-1.jpeg

Not my best photography but hopefully these meets your needs.

In the photos are four Birmingham pens that are identical except for color. The 1st from the left has a Nimosine [Jowo] #6 .6 stub. 2nd from the left has a Knox #6 in Broad. Next to it is a Bock 250 [#6] M two tone. Lastly, the Ambitious 35mm. There is very little difference in the physical size of these nibs. They are completely, and easily, interchangeable. 

IMG_0189.S.thumb.jpg.c75bbf66493d3defad50b349528cc558.jpgIMG_0194.S.thumb.jpg.d797eac012acca71c3f8290d372714ca.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, 

To the members that placed their orders and gave me your info, I have sent the combined list to Ambitious on Nov 8th. I'm still waiting for them to send the payment links from their side. 

On 8/18/2021 at 12:33 PM, Warroom said:

I didn't participate in the group buy. However, I thought this group would be interested in seeing this picture of the Ambitious #35 nib in titanium. This was ordered from Ambitious with a Bock compatible housing.

unnamed (1).png

Welcome aboard! that pen is a real looker!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Is this group buy still on? I thought things got stalled or something. Can I still participate in this group buy?

• 2 months later...

Just an update.

Still waiting for Ambitious to send the payment info. 

Looks like they're taking their their own sweet time.

• 1 month later...

Ambitious has made a few different versions of the 40mm nibs available. I received these this week. As I haven't seen them posted on the internet, I thought I'd share them with this forum. Pictured are pens with 40mm nibs in two tone, rose gold, and titanium. Ambitious shared that they hope to resolve their sourcing issues shortly. They may have the 40mm nibs in 18k gold available in May/June. 

40mm 2 Tone.sm.jpg

40mm Rose Gold.sm.jpg

40mm Titanium.sm.jpg

IMG_0224.sm.jpg

On 4/20/2022 at 7:07 PM, Warroom said:

Ambitious has made a few different versions of the 40mm nibs available. I received these this week. As I haven't seen them posted on the internet, I thought I'd share them with this forum. Pictured are pens with 40mm nibs in two tone, rose gold, and titanium. Ambitious shared that they hope to resolve their sourcing issues shortly. They may have the 40mm nibs in 18k gold available in May/June. 

40mm 2 Tone.sm.jpg

40mm Rose Gold.sm.jpg

40mm Titanium.sm.jpg

IMG_0224.sm.jpg

Oh my, where did you get those pens?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 4/21/2022 at 7:37 AM, Warroom said:

40mm 2 Tone.sm.jpg

40mm Rose Gold.sm.jpg

40mm Titanium.sm.jpg

IMG_0224.sm.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong... But are those fosfor pens?

If you wish to contact me you can via

Mail: aravindap@protonmail.com

22 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Oh my, where did you get those pens?

Aravind_A_2310 below is correct. These are three of my Fosfor Islander pens. I initially ordered Ambitious nibs to use in a batch of pens Mr. Manoj Deshmukh completed for me last year. The blue and purple pen pictured earlier in this thread was one of the 1st of the batch made.

22 hours ago, Aravind_A_2310 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong... But are those fosfor pens?

You are correct! Two key points to add. First, I've become unreasonably fond of his work. Second, they are the only pens I have that will accept the Bock compatible nib housings Ambitious uses. The nibs pictured are part of a new batch of nibs sent to Forfor last week as components for another batch of pens. 

On 4/21/2022 at 4:07 AM, Warroom said:

IMG_0224.sm.jpg

nice pens! can you explain more in detail what size (diameter, are they #8?) are the Ambitious n. 40 nibs, in what housing they are set, with what feed, and whether they are using a converter or are eyedropper pens?

If I understand correctly, also from a previous post of yours, Ambitious n. 35 nibs are size 6, like #6 Jowo, but for Ambitious n. 40 I'm still struggling to understand what size they are and how they can be used.

6 hours ago, sansenri said:

nice pens! can you explain more in detail what size (diameter, are they #8?) are the Ambitious n. 40 nibs, in what housing they are set, with what feed, and whether they are using a converter or are eyedropper pens?

If I understand correctly, also from a previous post of yours, Ambitious n. 35 nibs are size 6, like #6 Jowo, but for Ambitious n. 40 I'm still struggling to understand what size they are and how they can be used.

Ambitious nibs are 40mm long and sit on a 6.3mm diameter feed... the diameter of the feed is the same as a No.35/No.6 nib, but the length of the nib, from tip to base is closer to a No.8 size nib.

to give a better idea, here's a picture of a No.40 nib, along side a No.6 and No.5 nibs. Credit goes to @mehandiratta for posting this picture on his blog.

fpn_1443553974__img_20150929_075244-01.j

From Left to Right – 40 mm Gold Finish Steel Nib, 35 mm Chrome Finish Steel Nib, 35 mm Chrome Finish Flex Nib, #5 Fine Stub Nib, #5 Italic Nib

in regard to housing, it's a proprietary housing that is bigger than a standard No.6 nib unit housing. Below you can see a, ambitious No.40 nib unit, compared to a bock No.6 nib unit. Credit goes to @hari317 for posting the pictures you see below.

large.C10F12DA-2142-4D0D-98CE-4440F00E2D8F.jpeg.168b461d6d3b2bde5a0aa0b62fccb0a1.jpeg

large.3100589E-352F-408B-BDBA-C2A94EBA32CC.jpeg.daaab1a64bf8bc5ffe7e7b67f0438fa1.jpeg

the No.40 unit, going with what @Warroom has said in the above comment on his fosfor pens, might be compatible with a bock No.6 nib unit. though I'm not entirely sure if this specific housing in the above pictures is the one.

Hope these pointers help.

Again credits to @mehandirattaand @hari317 for posting these pictures.

Regards

Aravind

If you wish to contact me you can via

Mail: aravindap@protonmail.com

5 hours ago, sansenri said:

To your question regarding the relative size of the 40mm Ambitious nibs, the short answer is Yes . A 40mm Ambitious nib is ever so slightly larger than the Jowo and Bock "#8" equivalents. What follows is an excerpt of a message that I received from Ambitious last year regarding the pricing of their 40mm nibs in 18k.I asked why they were not the relative bargain that their 35mm gold nibs are. 

Let me explain.

The Bock 380 is a nib which has length of 39 mm and weight is 0.950 in gold approx..

The JoWo # 8 is a nib which has a length of 38 mm and weight is 0.850 in gold approx..

Our nib #40 is a nib which has a length of 40 mm and weight is 1.20 in gold .

Bock 380, JoWo #8 and our #8 require a feeder which is 8 mm in diameter.

The Ambitious 40mm nibs are slightly longer and broader at the shoulder than either the Bock or Jowo #8 [which is why they require more material to make than either competitive nib]. For those interested they are significantly less expensive that either the #8 Bock or Jowo [if you can find them] products.

Housings are based on the thread pattern you want to use. Ambitious offers both Bock and Jowo compatible housings. If most of your fountain pens have #6 Jowo nibs in them, you should consider ordering 35mm Ambitious nibs in Jowo housings as potential replacements. As I posted earlier. the 35mm and 40mm nib units are not interchangeable. 

Converter or are eyedropper is a question of pen design rather than nib size or material. The pens pictured are Islander model pens from Fosfor pens. They offer a number of choices in filling systems they can use. http://www.fosforpens.com/pen-designs.html. I personally shy away from eyedropper pens [Baystate Blue], however they are a popular and economical system. All of the pens I've posted use a K5 cartridge converter.

Hope that helps...

4 hours ago, Warroom said:

To your question regarding the relative size of the 40mm Ambitious nibs, the short answer is Yes . A 40mm Ambitious nib is ever so slightly larger than the Jowo and Bock "#8" equivalents. What follows is an excerpt of a message that I received from Ambitious last year regarding the pricing of their 40mm nibs in 18k.I asked why they were not the relative bargain that their 35mm gold nibs are. 

Let me explain.

The Bock 380 is a nib which has length of 39 mm and weight is 0.950 in gold approx..

The JoWo # 8 is a nib which has a length of 38 mm and weight is 0.850 in gold approx..

The Ambitious 40mm nibs are slightly longer and broader at the shoulder than either the Bock or Jowo #8 [which is why they require more material to make than either competitive nib]. For those interested they are significantly less expensive that either the #8 Bock or Jowo [if you can find them] products.

Housings are based on the thread pattern you want to use. Ambitious offers both Bock and Jowo compatible housings. If most of your fountain pens have #6 Jowo nibs in them, you should consider ordering 35mm Ambitious nibs in Jowo housings as potential replacements. As I posted earlier. the 35mm and 40mm nib units are not interchangeable. 

Converter or are eyedropper is a question of pen design rather than nib size or material. The pens pictured are Islander model pens from Fosfor pens. They offer a number of choices in filling systems they can use. http://www.fosforpens.com/pen-designs.html. I personally shy away from eyedropper pens [Baystate Blue], however they are a popular and economical system. All of the pens I've posted use a K5 cartridge converter.

Hope that helps...

Do they have stubs?

2 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Do they have stubs?

They just confirmed that they do. 35 & 40mm steel nibs are available in a 1.1 Stub. I'll see if they have stubs in other materials. 

9 hours ago, Warroom said:

Let me explain.

Hope that helps...

Thank you so much.

Let's focus for the moment on the "nib size", meaning by that the needed housing for these nibs.

My understanding is that "nib size" (in the modern definition of it) is the diameter of the bore the nib needs to go into, measured in mm.

Said in a different way, if you take the curvature of the nib and you continue the circle, the diameter of that circle is the nib size in mm.

This also means that the feed used must be the same size diameter.

This also means, if you want to fit such nib in a nib housing, the internal bore of the nib housing needs to be the same size diameter.

May I also disagree, at this point, regarding the fact that "Converter or eyedropper is a question of pen design rather than nib size".

This is not precisely so, if you want to fit (for example) a size 6 nib in a converter pen, the inside of the nib housing will be size 6, but the bore in which the housing screws into will be somewhat wider! additional space is needed for the housing.

While if you want to fit a size 6 nib in an eyedropper pen, the size of the bore in the section must be size 6!

I do understand that Ambitious calls its nibs by the length, not the "nib size"...

So an Ambitious 35 nib is 35 mm long

and an Ambitious 40 nib is 40 mm long.

But what about the diameter they fit into?

It has been mentioned that an Ambitious 35 nib fits a Bock or Jowo size 6 housing, that means that the diameter of the curvature of the nib is 6 mm, which brings me to conclude that the Ambitious 35 nib is a size 6 nib.

Regarding the Ambitious 40 nib however, you and Aravind are saying different things.

You mention that " the 35mm and 40mm nib units are not interchangeable" (although you do not explain why). 

You also suggest "If most of your fountain pens have #6 Jowo nibs in them, you should consider ordering 35mm Ambitious nibs in Jowo housings as potential replacements."

But you misunderstand my objective, yes I do own pens with #6 jowo nibs, but I am not looking for replacement nibs!!

What I want to do is use an Ambitious no. 40 nib! whatever it takes.

You also mention that "Housings are based on the thread pattern you want to use. Ambitious offers both Bock and Jowo compatible housings." However you do not say what size housing is needed for an Ambitious 40 nib.

OK, yes, suppose I want a Bock compatible housing, BUT SIZE 8!

(I have a pen with a Bock size 8 nib, can I replace it with an Ambitious 40 nib in Bock #8 housing?)

So the real question is: does an Ambitious no. 40 nib fit a size 8 Bock housing?

If it does, it means an Ambitious no. 40 nib is a size 8 nib!

Aravind seems to be convinced of the contrary

he says "Ambitious nibs are 40mm long and sit on a 6.3mm diameter feed... the diameter of the feed is the same as a No.35/No.6 nib, but the length of the nib, from tip to base is closer to a No.8 size nib. "

So according to Aravind (forget for the time being the lenght of the nib or the width of the nib shoulder to shoulder) an Ambitious no. 40 nib is a size 6 nib.

Aravind says that despite the Ambitious no. 40 nib uses the same size feed as a size 6 nib, however the housing used is larger...

this already puzzles me as if the Ambitious 40 nib is size 6, why should it need a larger housing? and the feed? would it still be a size 6 feed?

Suppose I want to buy a loose Ambitious 40 nib (such as from the group buy that was recently on), and suppose I want to use this nib in an eyedropper pen, so friction fit the nib directly into the section with its feed.

What size should the bore in the section be? what size should the feed be?

I know that a "big" nib like the Ambitions 40 nib will need space in the cap, but that is a second step, first I want to understand how to fit the nib in the pen, then build the pen around it, sort of.

THANKS!