• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Echowind

• Warroom

• Rewpert

• Sharad Pratap

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure what Echowind is offering as part of the group buy. Ambitious does have Jowo and Bock compatible housings and feeds for both 35 and 40mm nibs for a nominal fee. Based on comments from them last week, I understand that they are awaiting a new order of Bock compatible housings for the 40mm nibs. Hopefully they will be back in stock this month.

Until Echowind can reply, any interest in seeing the 40mm nibs installed on pens?

@warroom - wow ....that sounds promising....40mm nibs with bock\jowo compatible housings. Can't wait.

And yes we are interested in seeing 40mm nibs installed on pens. Do post some pictures....that would be really good.

For those interested in the Ambitious nib housings, I've attached a couple of pictures that show the difference between the 35mm housing and feed and the same for the 40mm nibs. I understand that others may offer a different opinion. However , in my view,  the 40mm nib won't fit in a 35mm/#6 housing. I'ts just too long and the feed doesn't fit. Some of you may be more creative than I am and can figure out how to make them work. The 40mm housing is both thicker and shorter than the 35mm. Meaning, a 40mm nib/housing won't fit in the grip section of a pen that was previously machined to accept a Bock 250 nib.  

Also attached is a picture of six pens with both chrome and gold plated Ambitious 40mm nibs.

original-9f60692b-4bfb-4208-9574-8ca325cf09fa.jpeg

original-211472f1-64ce-41b5-b6fc-5bdffa292737.jpeg

original-bfc68dfd-ffa8-41b3-aa38-6f9f00775a77.jpeg

On 9/9/2021 at 11:41 AM, Sharad Pratap said:

@Echowind - any new updates....?

Still waiting for the samples, 

Nothing I can do until I receive them.

Great pics from Warroom, saves me a little trouble.

As for the 40mm nib housings and their compatibility for Jowo and Bock threading, I will have to check and clarify with Ambitious if they can be added.

Stock availability will have to checked and may be a major constraint, as I am sure there will be a great demand for the 40mm housing.

• 2 weeks later...

Group shot to give you a better idea of the relative size of the 40mm nibs. Ambitious 35m titanium and 18k gold nibs in the pens on the left. Bock 250 rose gold and 2 tone nibs used in the pens in the middle. 40mm nibs used in the pens on the right. The 40s are big. Personally, I think they look great.

0?ui=2&ik=b5101c38b0&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1711524912314143710&th=17c08ed6f6b753de&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-Bc1TBK5cL8PTf4j84pCJrjgrYaSetv2URAHc42IofB5vOBnYDSogY6gVDrlO8L3ZG6aTOoGiMJaoeD7N72UaOqr6W0-5j971mwcHBbY8f_ys-o9OKxxz6RyA&disp=emb

21 hours ago, Warroom said:

Group shot to give you a better idea of the relative size of the 40mm nibs. Ambitious 35m titanium and 18k gold nibs in the pens on the left. Bock 250 rose gold and 2 tone nibs used in the pens in the middle. 40mm nibs used in the pens on the right. The 40s are big. Personally, I think they look great.

0?ui=2&ik=b5101c38b0&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1711524912314143710&th=17c08ed6f6b753de&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-Bc1TBK5cL8PTf4j84pCJrjgrYaSetv2URAHc42IofB5vOBnYDSogY6gVDrlO8L3ZG6aTOoGiMJaoeD7N72UaOqr6W0-5j971mwcHBbY8f_ys-o9OKxxz6RyA&disp=emb

The image does not seem to be displaying.

Can you describe the Titanium nibs ( feedback, wetness etc)? Also, did you order these Islanders from Mr. Deshmukh?

Yes! These are Fosfor Pens Islanders. Manoj probably hates me as I placed a huge order with him almost a year ago.... then added more blanks, nibs and finials to the order.  He is fantastic to work with. In my view, his pens are the best value in the fountain pen market. Original designs. Hand crafted with care. I'll be shipping another batch of blanks and nibs to him later this month. 

I've only started playing with each type of nib. N= 1 or 2 of each type so factor that into my comments. No issues with flow on any of them. Not dry and not wet [unless I jacked up the feeder]. Inks used: Diamine Ancient Copper, Birmingham Electron, Iroshizuku Yama-Budo, Noodler's Apache Sunset and Baystate Blue. No shimmering or sheening inks yet. 

1. The 40s are typical steel stiff. Fine is approximately a German Fine. Certainly not a Japanese Fine. There is some feedback with the Fine and Mediums. Not "toothy" but you know you are writing on paper. It will let you know how smooth the paper is. I don't like an ultra smooth "glassy" writing experience. I like feedback so I'm a fan. I find the writing experience to be delightful. The biggest challenge is getting your eyes comfortable looking at a pen with a really big nib. The finish on the Bock, Schmidt and Jowo nibs is more refined. However, the 40mm Ambitious writing experience isn't markedly different than that associated with any of the three German nib manufacturers. To my eye the feeder looks a touch undersized. However, you aren't flexing this nib. It will provide plenty of ink.
  2. The titanium nibs are smoother than the steel but still provide some feedback. If you have a heavy hand, the transition to titanium will take practice. The nibs flex. I was surprised at how little pressure was required to spread the tines. Line variation is easy to create. They have the bounce that you would expect from a titanium nib. I didn't get any railroading while attempting calligraphy. However, I wasn't attempting to create the same line variation that you can get from a Zebra Comic G.
  3. The 18k I installed was a touch smoother than the titanium. It's an 18k gold nib. 18k gold bounce. 18k gold flex. Relative to the titanium - Not as much bounce. Not as much flex. I cleaned and re-inked a 15 year old 146 over the weekend. No question the MB nib is prettier. In the hand, slightly more bounce and flex with the MB. In everyday use, the difference is pfft. For what they cost, it's a stupidly good value.

I can't decide which of the three is my favorite. I love the 40mm size. I enjoy the feel of the titanium and 18k. 

Haha! So you were the person who ordered those 39 Islanders! Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Ambitious nibs. I've been in touch with Mr. Deshmukh, and...well, honestly, I'm a little surprised at the value offered. I can now see why the wait time is 3+ years. Now, if only I can get a Sailor nib from somewhere....

1st, I'm not well. I have completely succumb to this fountain pen disease. 2nd, I couldn't believe how little he is charging for his products. I wanted to buy before he realizes that he can charge double for these and still have a two year waiting list.

However, you can blame him for the order size. I started with two pens that were his formulations. He sent me a note sharing that he periodically uses Beartoothwoods as a supplier. I found

Jim Knapp [LumberJimStudios] after Beartoothwoods. I found Jonathon Brooks after Jim Knapp. Bob Dupras followed after Jonathon Brooks. Next thing you know... I have 100 blanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The sample set is still yet to arrive. I'll try to put up the pics as soon as I receive them.

The final date and timeline for ending the group buy is given below.

Due to other commitments, I cannot postpone the end date any further than the below mentioned timeline. 

There are  1 or 2 extra additions to the group-buy such as the 40 mm housing unit.

I'll put up the complete list again along with the rest of the other pricing information before the group-buy end date.

Once Again, I request members to please be serious when placing the order.

Placing an Order and then not paying creates a lot of problems.

(There may be a change to payment mode, which will be published only after the total Nib Order Quantity  is finalized.)

Final Timeline:
1) Final Nib Order End-date: 23-Oct-21
2) Order Confirmation Messages: 23 to 25-Oct-21
3) Payment Messages: Any time after 26th October
4) Shipment will be done once I receive the Nib stock.(Estimate dispatch will be sometime after November 2nd week) 

5) Note : Any nib order requests from the given list from 24th October to 30th October, please p.m. me. The requests will be considered only if it can be processed by the manufacturer. No order requests will be accepted after 30th October.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 9:16 AM, Echowind said:

The sample set is still yet to arrive. I'll try to put up the pics as soon as I receive them.

The final date and timeline for ending the group buy is given below.

Due to other commitments, I cannot postpone the end date any further than the below mentioned timeline. 

There are  1 or 2 extra additions to the group-buy such as the 40 mm housing unit.

I'll put up the complete list again along with the rest of the other pricing information before the group-buy end date.

Once Again, I request members to please be serious when placing the order.

Placing an Order and then not paying creates a lot of problems.

(There may be a change to payment mode, which will be published only after the total Nib Order Quantity  is finalized.)

Final Timeline:
1) Final Nib Order End-date: 23-Oct-21
2) Order Confirmation Messages: 23 to 25-Oct-21
3) Payment Messages: Any time after 26th October
4) Shipment will be done once I receive the Nib stock.(Estimate dispatch will be sometime after November 2nd week) 

5) Note : Any nib order requests from the given list from 24th October to 30th October, please p.m. me. The requests will be considered only if it can be processed by the manufacturer. No order requests will be accepted after 30th October.

Is it not a point of concern that the group buy is going to end before the company was able to provide the original samples to be photographed? I just have concerns about the promise of dispatch two weeks after payment given the delay with the samples.

I do not mean to be alarmist or discourage enthusiasm for this group buy, but I (and I imagine others) might be reassured if there could be some comment on the situation.

I apologize Rewpert, but I am seriously out of time. I don't have the luxury of time to postpone it any longer as I have other commitments to keep. I know that members expectations are high and from my side, I have tried my best and requested for samples for a very long time.

But there is absolutely nothing I can do if they don't arrive on time. 

I'l try again to see if some pics can be sent from their side. I hope I can receive something before the end date.

The dispatch time is only a estimate (clearly mentioned in the timeline). Please do not assume everything will be dispatched quickly.  

Nibs take some time to be made. For certain nib types there is some stock available, so dispatching them will be within reasonable time frame.  However ,some of the nibs may need to be custom made according to the orders, for that it will take a rough estimate of 2 to 4 weeks to dispatch depending on the prevailing situation.

But whatever the situation, regardless of whether the samples arrive or not, the above mentioned timeline will be final. There won't be any more postponement from my side. Those who want to place their orders may do so taking this issue into consideration.  

On 10/20/2021 at 5:41 PM, Echowind said:

I apologize Rewpert, but I am seriously out of time. I don't have the luxury of time to postpone it any longer as I have other commitments to keep. I know that members expectations are high and from my side, I have tried my best and requested for samples for a very long time.

But there is absolutely nothing I can do if they don't arrive on time. 

I'l try again to see if some pics can be sent from their side. I hope I can receive something before the end date.

The dispatch time is only a estimate (clearly mentioned in the timeline). Please do not assume everything will be dispatched quickly.  

Nibs take some time to be made. For certain nib types there is some stock available, so dispatching them will be within reasonable time frame.  However ,some of the nibs may need to be custom made according to the orders, for that it will take a rough estimate of 2 to 4 weeks to dispatch depending on the prevailing situation.

But whatever the situation, regardless of whether the samples arrive or not, the above mentioned timeline will be final. There won't be any more postponement from my side. Those who want to place their orders may do so taking this issue into consideration.  

Thank you for your reply Echowind. Just to be clear, with my previous message I did not mean to be critical of your running of this Group Buy, or the date that you have set to bring it to a conclusion. Rather, I think you have done a good job keeping it updated and together through so many delays and changes.

I only wished to voice a concern with Ambitious themselves, given that they appear to have been unable to produce the samples for photography even given rather a long period to provide them. I worried if it might hint that they may be facing problems which could impact on the fulfilment of group buy orders, and was inviting any reassurance from those who better know the situation, or are in communication with Ambitious themselves.