Ambitious Nib Group Buy -Round 3 -2021

Sorry for the delay.

I have not received the samples yet, as there seems to be a unforeseen significant delay issue with the courier service (which is being looked into). 

The final timeline I mentioned above will have to be revised. I want members to see the pics to know what they're buying. 

Members can continue to place your orders.

I'll give a new timeline once the issue gets sorted out and samples arrive.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Echowind

• Warroom

• Rewpert

• Sharad Pratap

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/29/2021 at 11:31 AM, Echowind said:

Sorry for the delay.

I have not received the samples yet, as there seems to be a unforeseen significant delay issue with the courier service (which is being looked into). 

The final timeline I mentioned above will have to be revised. I want members to see the pics to know what they're buying. 

Members can continue to place your orders.

I'll give a new timeline once the issue gets sorted out and samples arrive.

It has been another week. Have you any news?

Apparently the courier has misplaced the package and is being looked into. 

Meanwhile I have requested another sample set to speed up the process, but it will take a few days.

Not to jinx things, I'l give an updated timeline once I've received the new sample set. 

On 7/7/2021 at 2:07 PM, Echowind said:

Apparently the courier has misplaced the package and is being looked into. 

Meanwhile I have requested another sample set to speed up the process, but it will take a few days.

Not to jinx things, I'l give an updated timeline once I've received the new sample set. 

It has been another week since your last post. Have you any news?

I hope the organiser of this Group Buy will not mind me posting this.

I went strait to the horses mouth to try and get some information about the new Ambitious solid gold nibs and contacted Ambitious Pens though their Facebook page.

They were able to provide the following image of what they report to be their new solid gold 40mm nibs:

220434355_243565894272230_5400277944638033876_n.thumb.jpg.9f43c5d2265f72620b1d8fe4208ed05f.jpg 

As can be seen, the solid gold versions of their nibs appear to be visually identical in terms of stamping to their plated steel counterparts.

To be honest, I was rather hoping this would be the case, as I am very fond of the look of Ambitious' nibs. The addition of a hallmark would have been welcome, however when I asked about this Ambitious remarked that "the nib you will receive will have all the required authentication", which I hope means that they will be providing some kind of certificate with their gold nibs. 

As to the real purpose of hallmarks: I'm not all too concerned about providing proof should I decide to sell on the pen holding the nib one day. The real problem I foresee is the problem of trying to keep track of my gold nibs from my gold-plated nibs before they find their way into pens! I can foresee them easily becoming muddled unless special care is taken to keep them separate.

Anyhoo, I thought this might be of interest to some of you.

I have a vague memory that these 40mm nibs fit on a #6 feed.  More like a longer #6 with wide shoulders than "International Size 8, International Size No. 380". 

Add lightness and simplicate.

Just a quick query: which pens does this nib fit. In my experience it was only fitting in giant GAMA ED.  I tried in many other pens and steel version nibs got damaged beyond repair. I have still 3-4 unused nibs. Anybody has used these? 

As far as I know ASA Galactic uses a 35mm nib (This has to be re-checked).

The 40mm nib is used in Asa Porus, Asa Heritage, Gama Supreme (slightly modified), Gama Kambhar Mark 2, Gama Masterpiece.

For Ranga, Deccan, Guider and the other fountain pen makers, the list will have to be compiled by the fpn guru's in the forum.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:52 PM, Rewpert said:

I hope the organiser of this Group Buy will not mind me posting this.

I went strait to the horses mouth to try and get some information about the new Ambitious solid gold nibs and contacted Ambitious Pens though their Facebook page.

There's no problem with members posting more info. 

However I request members to be patient for a little while longer.

The reason I held off on posting more info is that I have not received the sample set in hand yet (The fude and some other parts have to be done, it should be sent as soon as their able to). I wanted to post pics of the complete finished product of all the nibs, so that members make out the difference between the nibs put up for this group buy.

On 7/24/2021 at 4:19 PM, Karmachanic said:

I have a vague memory that these 40mm nibs fit on a #6 feed.  More like a longer #6 with wide shoulders than "International Size 8, International Size No. 380". 

It would be important to find this out before the group buy starts

Echowind says

Nib Conversion size reference:

I have mentioned the Ambitious nib widths, so members can check for nib compatibility.

1) 35mm Nib:  International Size 6  , International Size No. 250 

(Ambitious 35mm Nib width: 8.20-8.90 mm)

2) 40mm Gold finish Nib (Gold Plated):  International Size 8, International Size No. 380 

(Ambitious 40mm Nib width: 9.1-9.8 mm)

so which is which?

-nib size is the dimension of the diameter of the feed

-35mm and 40mm in Ambitious nibs mean the length of the nib

do we need an 8mm bore and 8mm feed in the pen to fit an Ambitious 40mm (long) nib

or does the 40mm nib fit a 6mm bore and feed?

I did in fact read from the previous group buy that the 40 mm nib was fitted to a Ranga 3 (6mm feed, i.e. size 6)

and the nib lower part does seem to be same diameter size as the 35 mm (the picture may however mislead)

image.png.3fd0f099c37e747971dac1fb6e441200.png

confirmation would be useful

we don't want to buy the wrong nibs...

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't participate in the group buy. However, I thought this group would be interested in seeing this picture of the Ambitious #35 nib in titanium. This was ordered from Ambitious with a Bock compatible housing.

unnamed (1).png

On 8/18/2021 at 8:11 AM, MidSouthern-Dad said:

Is this group buy still open for more orders, or have you closed the buy in period?

It's still open, I'l have the end date changed on the main page soon.

Hi Echowind,

In that case, I'd like to order two 14K gold 40 mm nibs in Medium.  They would go nicely into a Gama Supreme and Gama Masterpiece.

I'd also like to order two feeds to go with the nibs, just in case my current feeds don't fit the nibs for some reason.

For those interested, here is a picture of the Ambitious 35mm nib in 18k/750 gold. No markings other than the 18k stamp. Hopefully Ambitious will be shipping your nibs soon. A portion of mine arrived today.

18k.png

Subject to the samples, I would order the following:

a) 4 x 35mm (size 6) * B

b) 2 x 40mm * B

c) 2 x Gold 14k 35mm * B

d) 2 x 35mm ebonite feed

e) 2 x 35mm plastic feed

f) 2 x 40 mm plastic feed

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Do we have any information about nib housings as part of this group buy?

Particularly, are Jowo and Bock compatible nib housings available from Ambitious as part of this Group Guy? If they are, what is the pricing for them? And, could we have some confirmation on which nibs are compatible with which housings?