Ambitious Nib Group Buy -Round 3 -2021

Ambitious Nib Group Buy 

Year: 2021

Round 3

Good day fellow FPN Members,

The group buy is finally open.

I’m doing this group buy since I have a little spare time and in DIRE need of some quality spare nibs.

Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) will be 3 pieces for a nib width (except for the Gold 14K and 18K nib which will be 1 MOQ).

The group buy will end on June 28th   2021.

Please note that this time, the Group Buy is an advance Pre-order. Due to localised lockdowns in each State and depending upon the prevailing Covid-19 situation, procurement and dispatch of nibs may be delayed anywhere from 2 weeks up to 3 months. I request members to please be patient and be assured that the nibs will be dispatched once they arrive.   

The pictures for the new nibs will be delayed by a little while, due to offices being closed.

I’ll upload the new nib pics as soon as I receive them.

This a sample pic of the 40mm Gold nib.

98099019_Nib40mm-Copy1.png.2cc3783210a74df772db064b01992e7d.png

(Small piece of info for new members:

Ambitious Pens Pvt. Ltd. is an OEM Nib and part Manufacturer. The Company is a high-volume nib manufacturer and supplier to Fountain pen makers and generally don’t do retail sales for small nib quantities. So please take advantage of this group-buy)

A few points of note for the Group-Buy:

1) First, I would like to express my sincere gratitude and a big thank you to Mr. Abhishek Charla from Ambitious Pens for allowing me to make this group buy possible. I wish the Company and its employees many long years of prosperity and hope they keep entertaining the fountain-pen enthusiast community with their Quality products. 

I request fellow members of FPN present here or stumbled on to this thread, to please pass the word around that this group buy is open and generously stock up on these nib spares as your budget permits. One reason is Ambitious nibs in varying widths are hard to come by, so please take advantage of this group buy. Another is to meet or exceed the target quantity quota of 100 for a nib width type for this group buy. This time there are a few added nib widths for the group buy. The minimum order quantity is 3 pieces for a nib width type (except for the Gold 14K and 18K nib).

2) In case the minimum quantity is not met in a particular nib width type, depending on the situation, the nib width type category may be removed.

3) Shipping will be done by Speed-post EMS locally and India Post Registered Airmail for International orders (OR another Courier company may be used, depending on the prevailing Covid-19 situation at that time). Quick delivery EMS is also available for International Shipping on request.

While I have personally never lost a shipment through Speed-post EMS, the buyer will assume responsibility for the courier package once I provide the tracking number.

4) Note that, the prices mentioned here may be slightly higher than the last group buy done 5 years ago due to factors such as rising steel, iridium, fuel prices and other input costs. The prices quoted here are based on the current manufacturing processes used by the company.

5) I request fellow FPN members to please be serious when placing their order. Placing an order request and then backing out at the last minute or not making payments causes a lot of disruption for the group-buy. Items for the confirmed orders will be dispatched once the nib stock arrives and if full payment is received.

6) PLEASE ASSUME there may be significant delays in shipping and in getting the nib stock due to Covid-19 restrictions.

7) Payment Info:

(Final payment amount will be communicated by private messages to participating members after the group-buy end date)

a) For Domestic Orders: By NEFT or UPI

b) For International Orders: PayPal or International Bank Transfer. 

(Currency conversion and commission charges if any, are to be borne by Buyer)

8 ) Please use this template when placing your order for each nib:

Quantity * Nib Size * Nib width *

Example for reference:

a) 5 x 35mm (size 6) * EF

b) 8 x 40mm (size 😎 * M

c) 5 x Flex 35mm (size 6)

d) 1 x Gold 14k * B

e) 1 x Gold 18K *M

Pricing Info:

1) 35mm Dual tone:  USD 3.68 $

a) EF        b) F          c) M            d) B

2) 40mm Gold finish:  USD 7.16 $

a) EF          b) F         c) B

3) Fude nib: Available on request (subject to stock availability)

a) Individual Parts Available:    Nib, feed, whole section with nib and feed

b) Nib Size: 1) 35mm   (International Size No. 6)

2) 40mm   (International Size No. 😎

3) (Other nib sizes to be updated soon when available)

4) 35mm Chrome Flex nib:   USD 5.07 $

(Note: GOLD 14K and 18K nibs pricing are dependent on prevailing day to day international gold prices.

These nibs will be processed on a pre-order and immediate payment basis)

5) Gold 14K nib 35mm (Pre-order on request):  USD 89 $ to USD 139 $

a) F           b) M             c) B

6) Gold 14K nib 40mm (Pre-order on request):  USD 89 $ to USD 139 $

7) Gold 18K nib 35mm (Pre-order on request):  USD 89 $ to USD 139 $

8 ) Gold 18 K nib 40mm (Pre-order on request):  USD 89 $ to USD 139 $

9) Shipping and Packing: Local: USD 2.79 $

International: USD 5 $ to 12 $

10 ) Feeds: Feeds for a particular nib type may be provided on request, subject to stock availability.

Types available:  a) Ebonite feed

b) Plastic feed

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Echowind

• Warroom

• Rewpert

• Sharad Pratap

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nib Conversion size reference:

1) 35mm Nib:  International Size 6 

2) 40mm Gold finish Nib (Gold Plated):  International Size 8

Some Minor Corrections in the main and second post: 

The group buy will end on June 28th   2021 

Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) reduced to 2 pieces for a nib tip size. 

(Members can experiment with the different tip width available) 

Please use this template when placing your order for each nib:

Nib Quantity * Nib Size * Nib tip size

Example for reference:

a) 5 * 35mm * EF

b) 8 * 40mm * M

c) 5* Flex 35mm 

d) 1 * Gold 14k * B

e) 1 * Gold 18K *M

Nib Conversion size reference:

I have mentioned the Ambitious nib widths, so members can check for nib compatibility.

1) 35mm Nib:  International Size 6  , International Size No. 250 

(Ambitious 35mm Nib width: 8.20-8.90 mm)

2) 40mm Gold finish Nib (Gold Plated):  International Size 8, International Size No. 380 

(Ambitious 40mm Nib width: 9.1-9.8 mm)

I am very interested in ordering a 40mm nib in either 14k or 18k gold, however I would very much like to see a photograph of an example before committing to buy. Would it be possible for you, Echowind, to request a photo from Ambitious?

Due to the current lockdown and curfew in place, the offices are closed.

So, it will take some time to get the pics for the rest of the nibs.

I'l upload them as soon as I receive the pics.

Can we get the pricing in local currency? In Rupees? The pricing of the steel nibs is too high when one converts from dollars to rupees. A 35 mm kanwrite fine point nib costs ₹37\-,compared to that these Ambitious 35mm fine point nib will cost 3.68 dollars....that's like ₹276(approx) a piece,that's like 6 to 8 times the price of the kanwrite nibs.

And if I remember correctly last time the 40mm steel nib was priced around ₹85\-. And now the price seems to be ₹537\-. I mean I understand price rise due to inflation but these prices might be too high I think. But I could be wrong though. Any buyer from the last Ambitious nib group buy should correct me if I am wrong....that would actually help a lot .

Sharad, the price you mentioned is from the first group buy done approximately 6 years ago and the 40mm gold finish nib is a gold plated nib. In addition , Since then 6 whole years have gone buy.

Regarding Kanwite, as far as I know, they charge nib prices based on nib tip size. The price for a Extra Fine, Fine, Medium and Broad tip are all different.

The price for a 35mm Broad nib is approximately 2 to 3 times that of 35mm Fine nib.

And I'm not aware if Kanwrite sells 40mm nibs in retail yet. ( I could be wrong though)  

Your not the only one crying about the pricing.
I too am cursing myself for not participating in the last group-buy. 

Please note that Ambitious nibs in varying widths are extremely hard to find. So this time I requested the Company to let me add the different nib tip sizes in EF, F, M, B for the 35mm and the 40mm nibs  along with the fude nib for this group-buy.

Ambitious Nibs was kind and generous enough to listen to my request, and allow me to add the extra nib tip sizes along with the fude nib.

The pricing info quoted here is based on the Company's current Manufacturing Standards and Internal Quality Control Practices. There will be no change in pricing.

Those who wish to place their order may do so at the above mentioned rates.

@Echowind - You are right ....Kanwrite as of yet doesn't make any 40mm or #8 size nibs,hence the reason i was so excited about this Ambitious group buy. I am a big guy with big hands ....even models like ASA Nauka and Ranga 8B feel on the thin side to me. And for some reason I hold my fountain pens very far away from the nib while writing,I need sufficient distance between my fingers and the page. Though the prices seem to be high in the end there is no choice for me but to procure them from somewhere. And compared to german nibs these are still way cheaper.

I feel your pain regarding pens with small section grip😥.

This should be the new motto:

" Oversized and Jumbo pens are the way to go" 

We "People with large hands" DEMAND more variety and designs from custom pen makers (along discounted group-buy's of course😇

(I'm sure il get skewered for the above statement)

4 hours ago, MuddyWaters said:

Does ambitious make Ranga or Kanwrite nibs? 

No, Ambitious does not. and Kanwrite makes it own nibs.

As for Ranga, I think it sources nibs from different makers according to their requirement.

Not to get off topic, this a group buy only for Ambitious Nibs.

Their 40mm large nibs are heavenly to write with.

@Echowind - "we the people with large hands" haha..... Ilike that.

I have only posted a couple of times, so as soon as you reach your minimum order number, simply provide the Paypal details, and I will promptly pay. I received a couple of 35mm F Ambitious nibs from kiwipens as part of an order several months ago, and have been very impressed. Much nicer nibs than my Kanwrite, FPR, Camlin, Click and the un-upgraded nibs in my various Rangas. The only equivalent Indian nibs I have are some of my Airmails. So to me, living in the US, these prices seem a very good deal for a nice group of nibs. One caveat on any Indian nibs that I have purchased from anyone other than FPR, is that no one looks at the nibs before shipping them, so the seller sends along loose nibs to compensate for the luck of the draw. And invariably I need to use those spares to compensate for bad nibs. Hopefully someone at Ambitious is taking a look at the nibs before sending them out.

My order..

a) 3 x 35mm * EF ($3.68 x 3 = $11.04)

b) 3 x 35mm * F ($3.68 x 3 = $11.04)

c) 3 x 35mm * M ($3.68 x 3 = $11.04)

d) 3 x 35mm * B ($3.68 x 3 = $11.04)

e) 2 x 40mm * F ($7.16 x 2 = $14.32)

f) 2 x 40mm * B ($7.16 x 2 = $14.32)

g) 10 x 35mm * flex ($5.07 x 10 = $50.70)

$123.50 plus $2.79 US shipping = $126.29

And thank you Echowind for putting this together.  Much time has and will go into this project on your part.  It is appreciated!

23 hours ago, MuddyWaters said:

Does ambitious make Ranga or Kanwrite nibs? 

Ranga nibs are made by Kanwrite 

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

On 5/10/2021 at 12:25 PM, Sharad Bhadauria said:

And if I remember correctly last time the 40mm steel nib was priced around ₹85\-. And now the price seems to be ₹537\-. I mean I understand price rise due to inflation but these prices might be too high I think. But I could be wrong though. Any buyer from the last Ambitious nib group buy should correct me if I am wrong....that would actually help a lot .

I did those two group buys earlier and kept the prices as close to the factory prices as possible... And intention was to make people experience the Indian nibs...

And I am no ways linked to this group buy 

Well the prices do seem higher side... If I take JoWo nibs or Bock nibs and compare the rates 6 year back... The increase in rate locally is hardly 200 rupees (1.2 x) and that too for complete nib unit...  here it is almost 60x

Nevertheless very well thought out and planned group buy.

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

11 hours ago, mehandiratta said:

Nevertheless very well thought out and planned group buy.

Thanks for the compliment.