Two maki-e pens with pine trees: Platinum versus Stylo Art

jandrese

Here I present in excruciating photographic macro detail (sort of, I had to dramatically reduce file size!) my Platinum Izumo Hon-Urushi Hira Maki-e Hama no Matsu Shore Pine and my Stylo Art Maki-e Matsu ni Tsuru with a Pilot No. 15 nib. I have a thing for urushi and maki-e objects including pens, lots of pens, sigh... Within maki-e art I have a thing for renditions of pine trees, which are a major feature of both of these pens. Indeed, they are similar enough in theme to warrant a comparison. Platinum is, of course, a global brand wheres Stylo Art is an enthusiasts brand. This particular Platinum pen lists at more than double the price of the Stylo Art pen. So, how do they compare?

As you can see they are similarly sized large pens. The Platinum has a more nuanced shape, and a clip, but they are both generously sized pens. 

1395976877_fulllengthreducedsize_SON3417.jpg.d8d7bc760782e48faa135fe9cd14641c.jpg

Similar themes and overall appearance too. Let's consider the similarities and differences. 

Both have black urushi bases and employ fun maki (sprinkled metal powders) and hira maki-e (layered but not pointedly raised designs). All the color on the Platinum pen is gold in various size powders and even in tiny squares of foil. The Stylo Art pen employs color in two ways, red accents on the cranes heads and another type of metal powder on the tail feathers. The base of pattern of the cranes is also colored urushi, or perhaps a specific kind of milky tan urushi. 

615888028_cranesrockcloseupreduced.thumb.jpg.dfefa6a59b5a648af995825983a1d32e.jpg

In this view in of the midsection of these pens one notices three things: the colors on the birds, the relative sparseness of maki-e on the Stylo Art pen and the rocky design on the Platinum pen, which is rendered in grand style, and which is partly obscured. There are perhaps three different gold powders and gold foil squares that richly depict the rock design on the Platinum. What is lost in the photo is the layered dimensionality of the rocks on the Platinum pen. Can also clearly see the inset gold circles on the Stylo Art pen; these seem to represent clouds. The cranes have pretty decent amount of detail, especially in the wings and they have an animated look about them overall.

127460436_endsstylofocus.jpg.ac0ce14dd954784c8b7e2a5dad27b7f3.jpg

On both pens there is a lot going on the far end of the pen away from the nib. Here both companies put effort but in seemingly different and complimentary ways. The Platinum emphasizes the trunks of the pine trees over the foliage, they seem somehow richer and more three dimensional. The Stylo Art places equal emphasis on the trunk and the canopy but on this pen there is just one tree trunk. The gold powders used on the trees of both pens differ in tone and fineness. There are also more decorative lines on the Stylo Art pen within the trees that favor detailed form over contrasts, which the Platinum prefers. The tips of the pens are noticeably different. The Platinum terminates in a dreamy haze of nashiji gold particles that become denser as the pen body tapers. Almost unexpectedly the Stylo Art pen goes for more detail with a layered miniature landscape design.

Side by side, in the hand, the Platinum is richer, more sumptuous. It is also signed by an individual artist, one Sohkou Ooshita. There is no signature on the Stylo Art pen and the spartan description only indicates Wajima as a place of origin. There are a many urushi and maki-e artists in the Wajima region and evidently some are better, and better respected, than others. I have no idea who made this pen but it is a beautiful piece of functional art nonetheless. All things considered, including things not discussed herein (nibs, packaging, etc.), the Platinum justifies the higher price, but the Stylo Art pen seems the better value. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• a student

• Maki-eMagic

• whichwatch

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting! Thanks for posting this comparison, I'm also a big fan of Japanese pine, both in maki-e and in real life, I think my favourite pine is the Karasaki pine in Kenrokuen, Kanazawa. In maki-e I like the Namiki Yukari Royale Rokaku Sansui's pine trees, and I've also got the Namiki Chinkin Matsu as my very first Namiki, simple but nicely rendered. I think a really good new pine design on something Emperor sized would be about my ideal pen, I've seen lots of nice pine work in older ones in FPOJ, Briggs collection etc but that would be out of my range.

I also saw this pine work on a Danitrio which was quite interesting as well, possibly a bit busy for my tastes but undeniably highly skilled work.

pine.jpg

3 hours ago, Maki-eMagic said:

Very interesting! Thanks for posting this comparison, I'm also a big fan of Japanese pine, both in maki-e and in real life, I think my favourite pine is the Karasaki pine in Kenrokuen, Kanazawa. In maki-e I like the Namiki Yukari Royale Rokaku Sansui's pine trees, and I've also got the Namiki Chinkin Matsu as my very first Namiki, simple but nicely rendered. I think a really good new pine design on something Emperor sized would be about my ideal pen, I've seen lots of nice pine work in older ones in FPOJ, Briggs collection etc but that would be out of my range.

I also saw this pine work on a Danitrio which was quite interesting as well, possibly a bit busy for my tastes but undeniably highly skilled work.

pine.jpg

Thanks for posting that Danitrio, that is very nice. I like the pines in real life too, I find them calming somehow and extend that feeling to the artwork. I have some natsume with some wonderful pine maki-e.

Thanks for posting this photo essay.  I really enjoyed the pictures and your excellent comparison of the two pens.

1 hour ago, whichwatch said:

Thanks for posting this photo essay.  I really enjoyed the pictures and your excellent comparison of the two pens.

You are welcome, glad you enjoyed!

15 hours ago, jandrese said:

Here I present in excruciating photographic macro detail (sort of, I had to dramatically reduce file size!) my Platinum Izumo Hon-Urushi Hira Maki-e Hama no Matsu Shore Pine and my Stylo Art Maki-e Matsu ni Tsuru with a Pilot No. 15 nib. I have a thing for urushi and maki-e objects including pens, lots of pens, sigh... Within maki-e art I have a thing for renditions of pine trees, which are a major feature of both of these pens. Indeed, they are similar enough in theme to warrant a comparison. Platinum is, of course, a global brand wheres Stylo Art is an enthusiasts brand. This particular Platinum pen lists at more than double the price of the Stylo Art pen. So, how do they compare?

As you can see they are similarly sized large pens. The Platinum has a more nuanced shape, and a clip, but they are both generously sized pens. 

1395976877_fulllengthreducedsize_SON3417.jpg.d8d7bc760782e48faa135fe9cd14641c.jpg

Similar themes and overall appearance too. Let's consider the similarities and differences. 

Both have black urushi bases and employ fun maki (sprinkled metal powders) and hira maki-e (layered but not pointedly raised designs). All the color on the Platinum pen is gold in various size powders and even in tiny squares of foil. The Stylo Art pen employs color in two ways, red accents on the cranes heads and another type of metal powder on the tail feathers. The base of pattern of the cranes is also colored urushi, or perhaps a specific kind of milky tan urushi. 

615888028_cranesrockcloseupreduced.thumb.jpg.dfefa6a59b5a648af995825983a1d32e.jpg

In this view in of the midsection of these pens one notices three things: the colors on the birds, the relative sparseness of maki-e on the Stylo Art pen and the rocky design on the Platinum pen, which is rendered in grand style, and which is partly obscured. There are perhaps three different gold powders and gold foil squares that richly depict the rock design on the Platinum. What is lost in the photo is the layered dimensionality of the rocks on the Platinum pen. Can also clearly see the inset gold circles on the Stylo Art pen; these seem to represent clouds. The cranes have pretty decent amount of detail, especially in the wings and they have an animated look about them overall.

127460436_endsstylofocus.jpg.ac0ce14dd954784c8b7e2a5dad27b7f3.jpg

On both pens there is a lot going on the far end of the pen away from the nib. Here both companies put effort but in seemingly different and complimentary ways. The Platinum emphasizes the trunks of the pine trees over the foliage, they seem somehow richer and more three dimensional. The Stylo Art places equal emphasis on the trunk and the canopy but on this pen there is just one tree trunk. The gold powders used on the trees of both pens differ in tone and fineness. There are also more decorative lines on the Stylo Art pen within the trees that favor detailed form over contrasts, which the Platinum prefers. The tips of the pens are noticeably different. The Platinum terminates in a dreamy haze of nashiji gold particles that become denser as the pen body tapers. Almost unexpectedly the Stylo Art pen goes for more detail with a layered miniature landscape design.

Side by side, in the hand, the Platinum is richer, more sumptuous. It is also signed by an individual artist, one Sohkou Ooshita. There is no signature on the Stylo Art pen and the spartan description only indicates Wajima as a place of origin. There are a many urushi and maki-e artists in the Wajima region and evidently some are better, and better respected, than others. I have no idea who made this pen but it is a beautiful piece of functional art nonetheless. All things considered, including things not discussed herein (nibs, packaging, etc.), the Platinum justifies the higher price, but the Stylo Art pen seems the better value. 

Thank you for these images and the relative detail about them. I must confess that the two models look closer to being products of the "Chinkin" technique, as distinct from the "Maki-e" style work.

Of course it may well be I do not understand the similarities between the two very well.

1 hour ago, newstudent said:

Thank you for these images and the relative detail about them. I must confess that the two models look closer to being products of the "Chinkin" technique, as distinct from the "Maki-e" style work.

Of course it may well be I do not understand the similarities between the two very well.

Hello, sorry if the photos don't do the pens justice. Chinkin is a completely different technique whereby patterns are chiseled into an urushi surface. Metal powders are sprinkled into the scratches and more urushi seals the surface. Here is a link to a review of a chinkin pen I own.  These pens have layers of urushi that are built up to create the design, so, it's the opposite of chinkin. The chisel techniques cannot create these designs. 

4 hours ago, jandrese said:

Hello, sorry if the photos don't do the pens justice. Chinkin is a completely different technique whereby patterns are chiseled into an urushi surface. Metal powders are sprinkled into the scratches and more urushi seals the surface. Here is a link to a review of a chinkin pen I own.  These pens have layers of urushi that are built up to create the design, so, it's the opposite of chinkin. The chisel techniques cannot create these designs. 

That is a heck of a Danitrio Chinkin in your link, what a privilege to own such a pen! I do like the whole pen Chinkin works such as the Namiki Hawk or the recent Dragon, the models with just one or two bits of great detail like the rooster, squirrel etc leave the pen feeling a bit empty and I'd prefer a whole scene that fills the pen over just the highlights with a lot of empty space. 

36 minutes ago, Maki-eMagic said:

That is a heck of a Danitrio Chinkin in your link, what a privilege to own such a pen! I do like the whole pen Chinkin works such as the Namiki Hawk or the recent Dragon, the models with just one or two bits of great detail like the rooster, squirrel etc leave the pen feeling a bit empty and I'd prefer a whole scene that fills the pen over just the highlights with a lot of empty space. 

Thanks, yeah, that is an amazing pen full of chinkin. I like my Namiki No.50 Chinkin Dragon for the same reason. Heck, I love all my chinkin pens! 

10 hours ago, jandrese said:

Many thanks for the clarification on technique, and the link!