If you could have only 1 pen what would it be and why?

K.Grant

For ONE pen forever and ever and no other pens, I'd need a Nakaya Piccolo Cigar with a Pilot PO nib.

Which is why I have TWO pens!

(I have more than two pens, but these two are the two the ONE-PEN pens.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• K.Grant

• Karmachanic

• Bo Bo Olson

• ethernautrix

9 hours ago, K.Grant said:

😊😊😊

may I ask what your nib preferences are on the nakaya?

I did after, reading a hundred reviews, order a soft M nib & ask for a higher inkflow 8/10 ( I read they write dry) so I’m super excited. I wasn’t sure about adding “elastic” to the nib as I was getting differing advice on whether flex/elasticity is good or just slows down lengthy periods of non-calligraphic writing... it was agonizing but I figure I can always add elasticity later once I have more experience rather than the other way round. 

I got a broad tuned for smoothness... nothing too detailed in terms of specs.... and it's a beauty.  writes flawlessly.  And as with most Japanese nibs the broad Nakaya isn't that far off of my Pelikan 800 fines and substantially finer that my Lamy 2000 or Pelikan Ductus broads.  To say that I simply love it is an understatement. 

10 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Did you watch the video at the bottom of this page?

Yes, and That video didn’t really help with my question which was as a person who doesn’t ever do calligraphy, whether the elastic mod on the nakaya nib (done by nakaya themselves) was a positive thing for Amy writing experience, a matter of taste, or if it would slow down my lengthy writing sessions. As a newbie it’s hard to tell as most ppl speak about elastic or flex grinds use them for calligraphy, and other reviews are vague at best. But someone above did suggest avoiding excessive Les if I wasn’t going to do calligraphy and that was the first advice in that direction I ever heard (and I took it)

Semi-flex does not slow down one's writing ...unless...one is trying to do calligraphy. One just scribbles merrily along, getting that old fashioned fountain pen script....with out doing anything at all but writing ...... normally.

The nib will be a tad fatter with the first letter and loop letters or a dashed T crossing.

Assuming one is not real heavy handed. Then you get a wider script...naturally due to tine spread from being Ham Fisted.

Regular flex is just as fast as a nail, just more comfortable.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Should receive my MB 146 tomorrow so that could change my vote. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

47 minutes ago, TgeekB said:

Should receive my MB 146 tomorrow so that could change my vote. 

Congratulations- enjoy! 

1 hour ago, The Mustard said:

Congratulations- enjoy! 

I'm sure others have asked, but given your nom de plume would your name be Colman by any chance?

9 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Semi-flex does not slow down one's writing ...unless...one is trying to do calligraphy. One just scribbles merrily along, getting that old fashioned fountain pen script....with out doing anything at all but writing ...... normally.

The nib will be a tad fatter with the first letter and loop letters or a dashed T crossing.

Assuming one is not real heavy handed. Then you get a wider script...naturally due to tine spread from being Ham Fisted.

Regular flex is just as fast as a nail, just more comfortable.

Oh dear, maybe I should have added the elastic grind to my order.... I dare say it’s not too late I ordered a few days ago. I’m pretty torn now... 
I had I figured i could always do it later whereas if it didn’t suit it couldn’t be undone.

any other nakaya users want to weigh in?

Edited by K.Grant

19 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

For ONE pen forever and ever and no other pens, I'd need a Nakaya Piccolo Cigar with a Pilot PO nib.

Which is why I have TWO pens!

(I have more than two pens, but these two are the two the ONE-PEN pens.)

Do you dislike the nakaya nib? or rather, why does the pilot nib work better for you?
I have long wondered if there are ppl making frankenpens since this must surely be an unserved ,market niche. 

2 hours ago, K.Grant said:

Oh dear, maybe I should have added the elastic grind to my order

As Leigh points out in the above link, you can have a soft nib, which you have ordered, OR an elastic nib.

Add lightness and simplicate.

41 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

As Leigh points out in the above link, you can have a soft nib, which you have ordered, OR an elastic nib.

Nakaya give you the option to add elastic to a soft nib, I’ve ordered soft medium already

Any of them (soft or elastic) should be OK for normal writing in long or short writing sessions, quick note taking or slow writing.

As @Bo Bo Olson pointed out, the main difference is that with a "nail"-like nib, you don't usually get noticeable line variation, whereas a soft or elastic (a semi-flex in his gradation, kinda like a Noodler's or FPR flex nib) will give some "flair", some difference in thickness to some strokes, not too much, but something that gives (in my terms) "character" to writing.

Even an EMF modified flex nib (like the "UltraFlex" of FPR or the -I suppose- the Nakaya "elastic") will allow you to write carelessly at normal speed, only it may give more line variation and will benefit of a lighter touch.

It is when you go beyond that that you may need to be careful. That's when you start to step timidly into calligraphy territory (FP flex nibs are usually far from the flexibility used by calligraphers in dip-pen nibs). Even then, if you get used to write with a light hand and no pressure (a vice common when you come from other writing implements --but for brushes), then you can also use a flex nib for normal speed writing.

The problem is getting the light hand, which is something every FP user should learn, because -for me- that's one of the biggest advantages of FPs over BPs. OTOH (well the same writing hand actually) once you get used to write with the lighter touch any FP allows (or should) tireless writing, less tiresome than any BP.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

1 hour ago, Karmachanic said:

Suspenders AND belt!

Add lightness and simplicate.

For an automatic light Hand, learned in three minutes.

Go to....

Help! How Do You Hold Your Fountain Pen?

It does work better with posted medium-small 140 or Geha 760 (very popular in the '50-60's in Germany) Standard, Esterbrook DJ, P-75 or 400 or Geha 790, or medium long 400nn, medium large P-51 or 600 sized pens.

Large pens it works when posted are the thin Snorkel (a pen of great balance posted), P-45 (second model wit the long thinning body, very good balance posted) or a 146 is light and nimble enough to just about do the trick posted. Is rather 'stately' posted. It will write well posted in forefinger up.

...the posted 800 is a bit too back heavy unless the pen rests in the pit of the thumb, even then it may be too long and heavy...un-posted is rather short.

Will work though a bit short with the un-posted 1000 or 149, posted either are a bit ungainly.

The whole trick is....in Classic Tripod, there is pressure points at 10-2 that has to be lightened....which can take three to six months of effort to master. That pressure  causes hand cramps, fatigue and dents in the middle forefinger tip.

The forefinger up has no down pressure points in the flat 'long' thumb is under the pen at 08:30; so the pen rests.

In the long forefinger just 'rests' at 12:30, again no pressure is used to cramp the hand or ones writing.  In one just rests the long index finger, there is again 'no' or much, much less pressure used.

The tripod takes months of effort to learn to lighten one's hand, forefinger up, three minutes and up to a week of switching between classic and forefinger up to become the way I hold my pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

7 hours ago, K.Grant said:

Do you dislike the nakaya nib? or rather, why does the pilot nib work better for you?
I have long wondered if there are ppl making frankenpens since this must surely be an unserved ,market niche. 

Oh no! The Nakaya nib is great! But the Pilot PO is just extra special. It just feels different writing with it, and I can write on the reverse for what I call a "faux fude" effect.

I'm currently using four pens: two Nakaya nibs and two Pilot nibs.

Side note: I have a treasured Nakaya Decapod with a soft F or soft EF with added... softness (the pen was given to me), and I, who prefer hard nibs, have a hard time writing with this nib. The person who gave it to me had beautiful handwriting and used the pen with an ease I could only admire.

etherX in To Miasto

7 hours ago, K.Grant said:

Oh dear, maybe I should have added the elastic grind to my order.... I dare say it’s not too late I ordered a few days ago. I’m pretty torn now... 
I had I figured i could always do it later whereas if it didn’t suit it couldn’t be undone.

any other nakaya users want to weigh in?

If you enjoy adding slight pressure on downstrokes and easing up on upstrokes and trying to achieve artistic line variation -- if that's your normal handwriting -- then maybe. But if you're only nominally interested in that, then play around with cheaper options until you decide that that's how you want to write. It will take practice.

I just mentioned the Nakaya EF or F with added "flex," and while the previous owner of the pen easily wrote with it a beautiful handwriting, I would need much practice to change my handwriting, which I'm not particularly interested in doing. I like my handwriting. If I were to want to play around with calligraphy, then I'd invest the time and resources to that. But I just want to write as fast as I can.... No need to fix what isn't broken.

etherX in To Miasto

28 minutes ago, ethernautrix said:

Oh no! The Nakaya nib is great! But the Pilot PO is just extra special. It just feels different writing with it, and I can write on the reverse for what I call a "faux fude" effect.

I'm currently using four pens: two Nakaya nibs and two Pilot nibs.

I really must try a Pilot posting nib some day. I think I would like it.

22 hours ago, The Mustard said:

Congratulations- enjoy! 

Thank you sir.

The pen did arrive safely (Thank you bhbarto!) and I am quite blown away.

It is, far and above, my best writer. Not only does the medium nib write beautifully but the fit in my hand is perfect. It feels comfortable to hold and just, well, quite natural. I have a feeling it will be tough to put down. It’s a keeper. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade