Hello From a New Pen Addict

nickap

Hi all - I've just newly signed up with this site, though I've found myself visiting it frequently in the last few weeks. The reason is that I have just very recently developed an interest in vintage pens, and as I've been getting further down the rabbit hole and having more and more questions, I've found myself again and again finding the answers I need on this site. I thought at this point I would take a minute to introduce myself, and describe where I am in the vintage pen odyssey, and how I got there.

I actually got into this by reading an old 1940s novel, where someone was described as using their favorite "stylograph." (It was actually a murder mystery novel, where the character was always believed to have committed suicide; their body, when found, is identified partly by the distinctive stylograph that was found with it.) So I did a little Googling, found out what a stylograph was, and immediately decided I had to have one. So my first vintage pen was a slightly scratched-up 1940s Inkograph, picked up on Etsy for $20. Of course it didn't work, so I then had to learn how to clean a vintage pen, where to buy a replacement sac, what shellac and talc are used for ... At the end I had a working stylograph, and I was hooked on vintage pens.

At this point, a few weeks later, I have a grand collection of five pens, with several more on the way. In addition to the Inkograph, I have: one other stylograph, a very pretty red celluloid (I think) Universal (age unknown); a Sheaffer Fineline which I believe is probably from the 1950s; an Esterbrook "J" series (I believe also 1950s); and a 1970s Koh-i-Noor rapidograph, NOS in the original box. (The last one I bought when the construction of the stylographs reminded me of the Rotring pens I used to use in high school in the 70s; I now also have a set of three Rotring Variants currently creeping my way from a seller in Serbia.) I also have the following on the way: a Parker 21 (Mark 1 model I believe), and two of the higher-end Soyuz fountain pens, which I have heard very good things about. So far of the pens that I have, all work well except for the Universal, which sadly I had to conclude someone glued together at some point; there is absolutely no way to separate the section from the barrel (yes, I've tried all the suggestions posted on this forum!), so I couldn't repair it.

Amazingly, I think my favorite writer so far is the Inkograph, though part of that may be that I haven't really fully developed a fountain pen "hand" yet, so I still tend to press a little harder than I should. That said, the Inkograph is incredibly smooth; it tends to need a little shake to get started, whereas the Esterbrook and the Sheaffer will start writing immediately, but once the ink starts flowing, the Inkograph just glides across the paper.

Where I am going from here, I'm not entirely sure. I will say that (as you can probably tell from my choice of purchases) I'm currently more motivated to buy inexpensive-but-interesting, decent quality pens than going for anything too high end - I have to confess, I would love to own a Parker 51, and just missed one in good shape on Craigslist for $29 - I'm still kicking myself about that one. But I don't think I would buy one at the price I usually see them selling. Part of the fun for me right now is getting something cool at a bargain price, and I'm willing to wait a little while until a good deal comes along. So, no Montblanc pens in my near future, I don't think! ;)

Below is a photo of my collection so far: from left, Inkograph, Universal, Sheaffer Fineline, Esterbrook "J" Series, Koh-i-Noor Rapidograph. Thanks to everyone whose postings have helped me get this far on my journey - this website really is an invaluable resource!!

20210503_123601.thumb.jpg.ec96d4f2dbdcfd374d77a384be4f5da2.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nickap

• inkstainedruth

• Jolly Good Fellow

• Wahl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and welcome - that's the beginning of a nice little collection you have there - enjoy using them. 

Now let's get you hooked on the inks too ... :)

While I haven't used them in decades, I still have my set of Rapid-o-Graphs which were my (asked for) high-school graduation present from my parents.  I didn't know at the time that they were for ruling -- I drew with mine because the only other person I knew who had some drew with hers.  I still have a lot of the artwork I drew on a 1-credit drawing and painting workshop in Spain I went on the summer after my freshman year in college.

Vintage pens are a dangerous rabbit hole to fall into (or, in my case, dive head first into...).  My problem is I keep going "Ooh, shiny!"  And that could be a color, an exotic nib, an interesting fill system.  And you have stumbled into the realm of evil enablers, who will HAPPILY help you spend your discretionary budget on pens, inks, paper, repair tools, sealing wax (and of course seals), pen shows, and ephemera.

So what's the nib on that Estie?  Those are great pens for being a second-tier brand, because they made a huge range of interchangeable nib units (although some are way harder -- and more expensive -- to find).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

3 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

While I haven't used them in decades, I still have my set of Rapid-o-Graphs which were my (asked for) high-school graduation present from my parents.  I didn't know at the time that they were for ruling -- I drew with mine because the only other person I knew who had some drew with hers.  I still have a lot of the artwork I drew on a 1-credit drawing and painting workshop in Spain I went on the summer after my freshman year in college.

Vintage pens are a dangerous rabbit hole to fall into (or, in my case, dive head first into...).  My problem is I keep going "Ooh, shiny!"  And that could be a color, an exotic nib, an interesting fill system.  And you have stumbled into the realm of evil enablers, who will HAPPILY help you spend your discretionary budget on pens, inks, paper, repair tools, sealing wax (and of course seals), pen shows, and ephemera.

So what's the nib on that Estie?  Those are great pens for being a second-tier brand, because they made a huge range of interchangeable nib units (although some are way harder -- and more expensive -- to find).

The nib is a 2668, which I think is a medium ... But it puts down a lot of ink compared the the Sheaffer and the Parker 21 (which arrived today). I think those also both have medium nibs, but I prefer them to the Esterbrook so far.

Hi and welcome! I'm an even newer member than you, (I just joined today), but I thought I'd welcome you anyway. I absolutely love the 1940s, and that's how I got into fountain pens, too. By the way, do you know the name of the book? I love murder mysteries and the 1940s, so it sounds like a perfect match.

1 minute ago, Jolly Good Fellow said:

Hi and welcome! I'm an even newer member than you, (I just joined today), but I thought I'd welcome you anyway. I absolutely love the 1940s, and that's how I got into fountain pens, too. By the way, do you know the name of the book? I love murder mysteries and the 1940s, so it sounds like a perfect match.

Absolutely - the book is "Brat Farrar" by Josephine Tey. It's a great book; very, very "English" (centered around a well-to-do family living in the English countryside, raising horses etc). I may have given away part of the plot in my original post - though probably not too much, it would still be a great read. :)

Great, thanks! I'll definitely read it! 

3 hours ago, nickap said:

Absolutely - the book is "Brat Farrar" by Josephine Tey. It's a great book; very, very "English" (centered around a well-to-do family living in the English countryside, raising horses etc). I may have given away part of the plot in my original post - though probably not too much, it would still be a great read. :)

Even better is Tey's The Daughter of Time which apparently got voted the best mystery novel EVER by some British writers group (yes, she even beat out Agatha Christie -- which I guess is revenge for being portrayed in one of Dame Agatha's book's in a somewhat snarky fashion).  

Although I don't remember pens being featured in it.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

:W2FPN: from Missouri.

Glad you are with us!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 8:34 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Even better is Tey's The Daughter of Time which apparently got voted the best mystery novel EVER by some British writers group (yes, she even beat out Agatha Christie -- which I guess is revenge for being portrayed in one of Dame Agatha's book's in a somewhat snarky fashion).  

Although I don't remember pens being featured in it.

I'm getting back to this thread rather late, but now I have to know: what Agatha Christie book was it that referenced Josephine Tey?

• 9 months later...

Late, as usual, to this discussion. I too discoverd Stylographs from a novel, Edith Wharton's "The Age of Innocence." Our hero, Newland Archer, is chasing after the Countess Olenska. They are sitting on a bench in Boston Common:

He drew out a note-case and one of the new Stylographic pens. "I'll get the pen going in a second. They have to be humored; wait--" He banged the hand that held the pen against the back of the bench. "It's like jerking down the mercury in a thermometer: just a trick."

Wharton is essentially a Realist, so why doesn't she have him splattering ink all over the countess?

Royce O'Rourke - Realtor! is now available in

PRINT

large.FPN_Welcome.jpeg.06a98836a6514f196d41cc8b2895ec9f.jpeg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

You have a great collection.  We are happy to be enablers!

large.PXL_20220401_230039166.jpg.0edad9554d2d255369d5b96136b1c64f.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY