It's Just a Really Fun Pen

ParkersAndPaper

Most of my collection consists of pre-cartridge era Parkers(around 40).  Recently I started looking at some pen and journaling subs on Reddit and everyone had neat looking pens.  I decided to give a less business-y pen a try and jumped on the Terra Safari Special Edition.  

I have to say that I't just a fun pen.  It's not business-y,  flexy, and it doesn't have a gold nib.  What it does have is the 'fun factor'!  It's such a fun pen I bought a bottle of Diamine Writer's Blood (an ink that I wouldn't put in my vintage pens) with it, and I haven't been able to stop writing.    

Owner of many fine Parker fountain pens... and one Lamy.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Anne-Sophie

• bonnie-scott

• ParkersAndPaper

On 5/2/2021 at 5:53 PM, ParkersAndPaper said:

Most of my collection consists of pre-cartridge era Parkers(around 40).  Recently I started looking at some pen and journaling subs on Reddit and everyone had neat looking pens.  I decided to give a less business-y pen a try and jumped on the Terra Safari Special Edition.  

I have to say that I't just a fun pen.  It's not business-y,  flexy, and it doesn't have a gold nib.  What it does have is the 'fun factor'!  It's such a fun pen I bought a bottle of Diamine Writer's Blood (an ink that I wouldn't put in my vintage pens) with it, and I haven't been able to stop writing.    

Welcome to the Dark Side 😉 before you know it you have a drawer full..........

That color didn't interest me.  But I have three Safaris now (Dark Lilac, Violet, and a 2006 French Blue), plus a Vibrant Pink al-Star and a Ruthenium LX.  And I have just been using and using the French Blue since I got it -- every time I think "I should be putting other pens of mine back into rotation", I just find myself refilling the French Blue instead.  I got extremely lucky and found a used one on eBay for a decent price (the NOS ones are running $120 US, and I just kept balking at paying THAT much money for a Safari).  It's been in constant rotation since I got the pen in February: I just keep refilling it with Lamy Crystal Benitoite and keep writing. 

Of course now I'm eyeing the new Azure al-Star, but the photos I've seen are so variable as to what the color is actually going to look like.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 5/8/2021 at 2:16 PM, bonnie-scott said:

Welcome to the Dark Side 😉 before you know it you have a drawer full..........

yes, I think the pens are up to something in the dark, there just seem to be more of them.

Safaris/al-stars are fun pens with lots of colors that will last a long time. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

Well, I've taken the plunge.  The Azure al-Star, M nib, is on its way from Anderson Pens, along with some ink samples.  It was sort of a toss up on nibs, because I didn't want to pay extra for a more exotic nib (one of the italic/stub ones) and I didn't like the EF nib I tried at a booth at a pen show a few years ago.

This will be my 6th Lamy (3 Safaris, the second of two al-Stars, and an LX) and I've got at least one of the other "standard" widths, plus a 1.1 mm stub on the other al-Star).  

We'll see when the pen comes what color "Azure" turns out to be -- I've seen it look blue-grey, and also look pretty silver.  I had stalled on the Vibrant Pink for a long time, and then when I got one, it turned out to be a nicer color than I thought it would be.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth, when you get the Azure, would you be able to post picture?

If not, could you give us a description of that color especially in comparison with the French Blue Safari?

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I'll try.  Downloading photos from my phone is a little complicated at the moment -- I can't get the phone to talk to the new laptop, and haven't had a chance to deal with yet another reach-out to Apple Support.  And I haven't tried doing anything with the new software here as far as uploading stuff.

I expect that the color will be very different from French Blue.  At best, it will be a blue grey, like some of the promo photos.  At worst, it will mostly be silver grey.  If I can get photos, I will also put the pen up against the Ruthenium LX (which is a much darker grey (someone at Anderson Pens very kindly sent me a photo with Azure next to Graphite and I forget what the other one was -- an LX, IIRC, but not one I have).

And yes, they DEFINITELY got my business this time around, because the guy went above and beyond, IMO (and I don't even remember his name offhand).  Anymore, I do comparison shop between various vendors to get me the best deals/availability of inks -- one time last year I had orders in to Anderson, Goulet Pens and Vanness -- all at the same time -- just to get the inks and ink samples I wanted.  Because no company has everything....

15 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Downloading photos from my phone is a little complicated at the moment

I always just send them to myself in an email, no more than 2 or 3 at a time. It seems to work OK (Windows/Android devices). 

I haven't figured out how to do that.  In the past it was just easier to link the phone to my (old) laptop and port them.  I might have to go that route at least for a while -- I'm not sure I'm up to yet another epic extended Apple Support session (especially after spending half the week fighting with Amazon and then with PayPal over THEIR lousy IT....  In fact, I probably still need to call PayPal but at this point I'm such a wreck I may wait till Monday....  I was up way later than I planned to be last night dealing with some poorly trained "customer service" person on PayPal's FB messenger window, and then had to get up fairly early because I've been having to change my husband's dressings from his surgery a couple of times a day, and needed to to the morning ones BEFORE going to get my second COVID shot.  Then had to run some errands -- all of which took way longer than they should have.... :wacko:  And the traffic on the roads (especially going TO where the shot was being given)?  It could best be described as "squirrelly", or what my dad used to refer to as "Mad Thursday" -- except apparently it spilled over into Friday this week....

Ruth, there is no rush, enjoy your pens, paper, inks and all your other hobbies.

When the pen comes, have fun with it, when you get around to it, talk about the difference of color between it and the French Blue.

I am so sorry about the stresses over the computer, traffic and especially juggling getting the vaccine and taking care of your husband health challenge, as well, of having to do other errands when everything seems to go too slow, when one has things to do.

Enjoy your husband and your weekend, extend a "feel better soon" to him.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Pre-ordered my Azure on the 31st March, but still waiting.... sob..... sniff.....

I guess the stocks just haven't arrived everywhere yet.....

Pens buying is a bit like Kettle boiling, the more you check the longer it seems to take 🤪

I like the way my Lamy Vista writes but the grip area is a bit too small for my hands and I feel cramped up. Other than that it's a smooth writer and would be great for someone with smaller hands.