Inky T O D - an ink you have been considering, but you haven't bought ... yet

amberleadavis

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

I love Heliogen Green with the Gold, BUT it is crazy wet.

What did you not like about Tokliwa Matsu?

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

:( May I ask what caused the disappointment?  Color, performance, ...?

Tokiwa Matsu is SUPER wet in my Opus-88. But no matter how wet I laid it down, there was no brown/red shading to be seen.
I used Rhodia paper and Staples Copy paper.
Unfortunately, I already have an ink that's Army Green, drier and more well behaved (Penbbs #502-The Rains)
I'll hold onto it just because, but it's in the "Yer outta here" bin for the next few months til it's gone to a new home.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• LizEF

• Detman101

• mizgeorge

On 4/30/2021 at 1:04 PM, amberleadavis said:

BUT on the other hand, I haven't tried any Birmingham Inks yet, and maybe I should try these out.

Clearly, I'm still on the fence. 

I'll probably bite the bullet, but it won't be this week.

This is a related and very informative review regarding Birmingham ink's Ultramarine:

https://fromthepencup.wordpress.com/2021/02/27/forsaking-all-others/

The Bauhaus - form follows function without further embellishment; primary colors are always welcome ...

My collection snapshot

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

obscene: adj. (describing an integer) sandwiched immediately between two prime numbers

:lol:

2 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Quite a comparison and definitely not one of your extra fine nibs.  :). Thank you. 

:D  I figured when it's the color we want to see, EF nibs aren't as helpful (unless I use a microscope to take the picture, or we want to see the color explicitly from an EF nib).  You're very welcome!

1 hour ago, Detman101 said:

no brown/red shading to be seen

Ah.  Yeah, I don't recall seeing that, just shades of foresty green.  I suspect any red is likely sheen, not sure on the brown.  Sorry for the disappointment.

1 hour ago, Detman101 said:

I used Rhodia paper and Staples Copy paper.

Tomoe River might do better - it often does with sheen and subtle color changes.

6 hours ago, RJS said:

I keep contemplating a purchase of Sailor Souboku, KWZ Walk Over Vistula, Organics Studio Walden Pond, Sailor Okuyama, Sailor Souten and Pelikan Edelstein Topaz. Especially the first and last ones on that list, which have made it into baskets many times.

I love Souboku - I've just bought my 2nd bottle of it - an it's not that often I run out of an ink that fast. It's become my go-to waterproof ink, and I use quite a lot of that for addressing/mailing things. I also really like Souten - it's sheen is much pinker than a lot of the other red-sheening blues and it's happier for it.

Pelikan Edelstein Topaz is  a nice ink - and not a bad dupe for Kon Peki if you haven't got that. It's on Amazon UK at the moment for a very good price (unless it's changed in the last few hours). 

6 hours ago, Detman101 said:

"DeAtramentis - Heliogen Green-Gold"

I've heard that their inks smell great and are well behaved. This ink in particular is rumored to have more fine particulate shimmer in it and the ink reported to have a tone closer to Montblanc - Irish Green.
I really don't need another Green ink...especially after the abysmal disappointment that "Sailor - Tokiwa Matsu" was yesterday. 😞

But....Those factors have compelled me to place an order for a sample vial of the ink...and about 5 others that I "Don't Need"...lol
But...if I can find the perfect brown and green that flow right and are also scented...that would be magnificent!

If you like the green-gold, look at the green-bronze - which IMO is even nicer - bit richer and less yellow. The green-silver's pretty nice too...

10 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

I love Souboku - I've just bought my 2nd bottle of it - an it's not that often I run out of an ink that fast. It's become my go-to waterproof ink, and I use quite a lot of that for addressing/mailing things. I also really like Souten - it's sheen is much pinker than a lot of the other red-sheening blues and it's happier for it.

Pelikan Edelstein Topaz is  a nice ink - and not a bad dupe for Kon Peki if you haven't got that. It's on Amazon UK at the moment for a very good price (unless it's changed in the last few hours). 

Pelikan Edelstein Topaz is even cheaper from LCDC when they're doing their sales. Just placed another order with them and nearly added that and some of the Sailor inks. I see on these forums quite a few people prefer PE Topaz to Kon Peki. I have inks from Diamine and KWZ that are pretty close too.

I basically just have so many blues and blue-blacks that I feel daft buying more and more 😅 I'll probably end up owning all of these, of course! Haha.

Edit: I can see why you use Souboku for addressing/mailing, as I use Seiboku for those things- the stuff is bulletproof, just a pain to clean out of a pen, and a bit wishy-washy looking in broader/dryer nibs. 

On 5/1/2021 at 10:31 AM, ENewton said:

Interesting.  My one regret, as regards ink purchases, is that I did not buy a bottle of the first formulation of Birmingham Waterfront Dusk, because I could not bring myself to pay almost as much for shipping as for the ink. 

And I am just kicking myself because I never could get my hands on a full bottle of Smithfield Street Bridge Truss Blue.  Although that new one that Amberlea Davis posted the photo of, Herr's Island, does look pretty interesting....

I would say that (well, besides Herr's Island), I've been considering a couple of the special Sailor "50 States" inks.  They aren't cheap, but there's a part of me that REALLY wants to try both "Pennsylania" (where I live) and "New York" (where I was born and lived until I got married).  A couple of the other colors, like "Delaware" also look nice.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

If you like the green-gold, look at the green-bronze - which IMO is even nicer - bit richer and less yellow. The green-silver's pretty nice too...

Thank you! I will order a sample of the green-bronze this week as you've recommended it.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

I've been considering a couple of the special Sailor "50 States" inks.  They aren't cheap, but there's a part of me that REALLY wants to try both "Pennsylania" (where I live) and "New York" (where I was born and lived until I got married).  A couple of the other colors, like "Delaware" also look nice.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hah! Sweet!
I'm looking at moving to Pennsylvania, work in Maryland and was born in NY as well!
I've had my eye on "Maryland" but there's no youtube reviews of it yet. It look soooo close to "Caffe Crema" I'm afraid to take the chance buying it.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

On 5/4/2021 at 12:00 PM, tmurfet said:

This is a related and very informative review regarding Birmingham ink's Ultramarine:

https://fromthepencup.wordpress.com/2021/02/27/forsaking-all-others/

Thank you!  It looks awesome.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY