Moonman M700

jjlax10

Good afternoon,

This ebay listing popped up for me, for the Moonman M700

Is this new or am I late to the party?  It looks like a combo Duofold and CS Churchill.  Any information is appreciated.

Josh

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VillersCotterets

• Naoki NISHIKAWA

• jjlax10

• sansenri

New to me too. You are right, CS Churchill body, Duofold cap and colour, reminds me of the brown blue striped version, what was it called? (the one that to buy it you had to buy a whole drawer...). If only they dropped the fake Parker clip they might "almost" have an own design there...

They are trying hard but no sigar yet.

with all the moonblancs, I am almost giving up on the brand.

I second the clip comment. I hope they bring back the less brand specific ball clip. That way I will buy up all the M600s and M700s on top of all the brass T1s that I have been accumulating (one T1 for every nib I can fit it with.)

• 2 weeks later...

Caveat Emptor - I purchased the "Blue" model from this vendor and it is not a solid dark blue as shown in the picture - it is *mostly* dark blue with some lighter blue stripes in certain sections of the pen.  I complained and was offered an $8 refund, which I accepted as shipping the pen back for a full refund would have been $18-$20.

Moonman M700 Pen.jpg

I am surprised , as the listing and the photo clearly show the blue having these light patches and stripes , which listing you got , cause none that I've seen state " SOLID " blue , the listing I gone to all state all 3 finishes had stripped pattern

8 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

I am surprised , as the listing and the photo clearly show the blue having these light patches and stripes ,

This marketing image, maybe?

Ha7b230e4acf84ca9b166526dcbdeaa6cY.jpg

Source: AliExpress

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I was expecting the blue and brown finishes to be striated as they are identical to acrylic they used for the N3. The two other colours (green, grey) might even be available when they release the non-Bock nib variant (M700s ?) if it makes sense from a business standpoint.

HTB1cCX6byzxK1RkSnaVq6xn9VXaw.jpg

On 5/12/2021 at 6:37 AM, VillersCotterets said:

I was expecting the blue and brown finishes to be striated as they are identical to acrylic they used for the N3.

I am guessing the same. The blue should probably be "沧海桑田 cāng hǎi sāng tián" or blue (vast) ocean changes into mulberry fields, meaning time flies, things change so fast, etc. That is to say, "Oh, time flies, last time, we see each other here were blue seas... Now they all changed into mulberry fields!" "Indeed, within just only 10,000 years. Things change so fast!"  Yes, this is Chinese idiom, so ....

8a2069eb1f27c9120e4147154714ceb7.jpg

Thank you, @Naoki NISHIKAWA, for the translation. The cultural aspect gives a supplementary layer of enjoyment of those pens and materials.

15 hours ago, VillersCotterets said:

Thank you, @Naoki NISHIKAWA, for the translation. The cultural aspect gives a supplementary layer of enjoyment of those pens and materials.

Thank you. In that case, let me type the Chinese idioms in plain texts here, so that one can copy and paste into the search box of Google, for one to search photographs/illustrations/paintings of, say, sunset, waterfall, etc. by Chinese people. White 白衣渡江; Green 飞瀑流萤; Red 落霞余晖; Blue 沧海桑田.

These Chinese idioms consisting four Chinese characters are combinations of 2 + 2 Chinese characters. You get poetic effects by combining two things. 

沧海 Blue ocean + 桑田 mulberry field

落霞 Evening clouds + 余晖 the last glow of the sunset

飞瀑 Sublime water fall + 流萤 fragile firefly

All that exists is impermanent; nothing lasts. Appreciate the beauty, here and now... 

(Well, we all hope MoonMan FPs are decently durable, though.)

白衣 (ordinary people's cloths) + 渡江 (going on the river) is slightly different. It is from the Three Kingdoms. 白衣 literally means white cloths, not being dyed, so it implies ordinary, inexpensive cloths. Also in this case, you may want to imagine the color of the River in China. Muddy.

On 5/14/2021 at 9:48 PM, Naoki NISHIKAWA said:

沧海 Blue ocean + 桑田 mulberry field

落霞 Evening clouds + 余晖 the last glow of the sunset

飞瀑 Sublime water fall + 流萤 fragile firefly

All that exists is impermanent; nothing lasts. Appreciate the beauty, here and now... 

Wow! Fantastic. Thank you a lot, @Naoki NISHIKAWA

If it's not asking too much, maybe you could help me better understand another pen : the HongDian 1837 (see other thread).

Have a great day. ありがとうございました

17 hours ago, VillersCotterets said:

If it's not asking too much, maybe you could help me better understand another pen : the HongDian 1837 (see other thread).

I could not really see what was on the barrel... 

Does that happen to say

秋勁拒霜盛

峩冠錦羽雞

已知全五徳

安逸勝鳬鷖

???

If so, I guess those should be from a Chinese poem and in order for me to translate those, I have to be a man of literature, which I am not....

As my Chinese understanding ability is so bad, I can be plain pure wrong, but vaguely, very very vaguely, I guess they are saying ...

Autumn has come. Plants, birds, etc. are not afraid of frost...

Again, I can be completely wrong.   

It's all right. In the other thread, @A Smug Dill identified the painting with the poem. If I paraphrase, it's about the five virtues a person should possess, as exemplified by birds like the Golden Pheasant, a Chinese cousin of the Japanese Yama-dori you might know. There is a Japanese Wikipedia entry about its author.

I've put Sailor Jentle Yama-dori in it. Perfect match of ink colour and symbolic meaning. 

I got mine.  Its very much a Duofold imitation, but quite nice for the price.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

On 5/20/2021 at 4:21 PM, jjlax10 said:

I got mine.

<joke>Nah, we can't just believe you. We need to see photographs. Otherwise, it didn't happen. (^_^) 

Photographs would be appreciated if you could post some, please. Promotional material is not always very accurate. I would love to see how the pen looks in real life.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...