Confirming MB 149

theodore94

Hi everyone. I'm buying this MB 149, but because it's out of town, I have to have someone else pick it up for me. I want to make sure that it's real and perhaps determine a date before he picks it up.

I think I'm pretty good at this point at determining the authenticity of 14X's, and everything looks right to me: the proportions are right, the nib matches everything I've seen online, the clip looks correct ("pillow" on the end), the box has the correct logo, the stickers match what I've seen elsewhere, it's coming from a collector who says he bought it at the store.... but I wanted to make sure. Is there anything here that makes you suspicious?

From what I can tell, it's a 2 tone, "14k" nib with a split ebonite feed and a 2 section barrel, so based on the fabulous https://penstylo.blogspot.com/p/dating-montblanc-149.html, I think that it's from the early 1990s.... that matches what the seller told me about when he bought it. 

Here are some pictures: 

Thank you for your help! Assuming all is good, I'm looking forward to sharing more pictures when it arrives!

Archive URL: http://web.archive.org/web/20210423163048/https://penstylo.blogspot.com/p/dating-montblanc-149.html

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theodore94

• Barry Gabay

• Nurmister

• agentdaffy007

Looks legit with ebonite feed and 2 tone nib from that Era. Even the box is from that Era. W. Germany as well. Take a look at the sticky in the forum to date the MB 149.

Looks like a genuine 149 from the late 1980s to early 1990s. 

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thank you, all! Just received it, and it looks great in person (see new pics in album)! Judging on the ink windows, it looks like it was truly never used. The clip band says "Germany" instead of "W. Germany", but I believe that is how things went in the early 1990s (right?).

The only issue is that the piston is stuck.... from other posts, I think that means it may need a soak. I may enjoy looking at it with the stickers on for a little while before then.

On 4/23/2021 at 4:59 PM, meiers said:

You are building a nice collection.

Thanks so much! If I can say so, I'm quite proud of all these pens I've bought recently... and a lot of the inspiration comes from FPN folks (and most importantly @zaddick's Instagram!!!)

Nice pen. It's the real deal. With those components, it dates from ca. 1985-90 if it has black plastic piston threads. And 1991 if it has brass piston threads. That is the last of Montblanc's great 14C-14K nibs for the model 149. Enjoy. 

Good  morning Theodore,

Do not force it, or you will certainly break the plastic spindle. If you can get your pen to a knowledgeable repairman, it is very simple and quick surgery to lubricate the piston. Many folks work on their own 149s & 146s using a special wrench to open the piston end and remove the mechanism for lubrication. Until you have it repaired, may I suggest using your 149 as a dip pen? The feed holds quite a lot of ink. I can get nearly a full legal page written with a single dip of a 149 with a F or EF nib. This is also a good way to use inks which should not be put into a fountain pen.

Good luck with your 149 & its eventual repair. 

All the best. Stay healthy,

Barry

Thanks @Barry Gabay!

I will definitely wait until I can take it to a knowledgeable repairperson. I actually have a few MB piston (and other small) repairs. Do you think it's okay to send to a general repairperson, or do these have to go back to MB? I tend to prefer general repairpersons (I feel like they know what collectors care about and, of course, they're less expensive)... but I'm willing to send them to MB if necessary.

Thanks again!

Hello theodore94, 

Many repairmen have the 149 & 146 "key" or wrench for opening the piston of the pen. I would certainly inquire as to the repairman's experience with 149 repairs before sending your 149 to someone. Quite a few Montblanc fans at this site do their own lubrication with the wrench. No need to return it to Montblanc. 

Good luck, 

Barry

To add to Mr Gabay's point, I personally wouldn't recommend sending it to MB even if the spindle was already broken, since they would replace the ebonite feed, amongst other things. Replacement spindles can be bought: in the original black plastic, stronger PEET plastic, and even brass.

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

I actually watched a few YouTube videos online and saw that people filling their 146s were a bit more forceful than I was. So I gave it just a little more force.... and it worked perfectly! I wouldn't tell people to "force it", but they should know it can take a little bit of pressure to get it past the first half turn (which moves with basically no force).

Congrats and I'm glad to hear that it is moving for you now!  Enjoy!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

20 hours ago, theodore94 said:

I actually watched a few YouTube videos online and saw that people filling their 146s were a bit more forceful than I was. So I gave it just a little more force.... and it worked perfectly! I wouldn't tell people to "force it", but they should know it can take a little bit of pressure to get it past the first half turn (which moves with basically no force).

Montblanc pistons can get a bit sticky when unused, and can get a bit better with time. However, removing the nib (the tools for it can be found on Ebay for cheap) and lubricating the body walls can help things quite a bit. Otherwise you'll constantly be stressing the piston rod (which admittedly isn't expensive to replace).

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)