Requesting help from the MB experts

Jsspal

Dear all,

I am new to collecting pens and only have bought a couple of used Montblanc pens. I am amazed at how nice it is to write with them, the feel is different. Not sure is it inside my head or actually because of the quality and craftsmanship. 

While I have been very satisfied with my meisterstück classic ballpoint pen, I recently purchased an older Montblanc metal rollerball pen. It was sold on eBay and the seller seemed legit, the pen was acquired from an older lawyer's business premises who seems to have passed away. Not sure is this the story they always tell. 🙂

Now I am pondering is this truly a well-crafted vintage fake pen or the real deal.

Here are some pictures. Also if this is real, I would greatly appreciate it if you know the model. 

Some notes on points that caught my eye:

1. No serial number.
  2. The middle ring can rotate freely.
  3. Star has not been painted, you can feel little rough edges around it. Also, there is some minor mark in the black area.

Thank you in advance,

Jsspal

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jsspal

• Nurmister

• Dione

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is almost certainly a fake, given the fit and finish of the pen, the lacquerwork, and the box it came with.

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

Thanks for a quick reply! Well, what a shame! Had a small glimmer of hope that this pen would be authentic. It has even all the screw threads to fit authentic refills.

Well then, it is still a nice pen so have to think do I want to keep it. Luckily I did not pay that much for it and probably can negotiate some discount.

3 hours ago, Dione said:

Agreed it is sadly a fake. No authentic Montblanc pens come in boxes like that.

Thank you for confirming this! No wonder it was that cheap. I also negotiated a good discount (65% off) from already a small price so it didn't pinch that much and as a pen, it works very well. 

7 hours ago, Jsspal said:

Thanks for a quick reply! Well, what a shame! Had a small glimmer of hope that this pen would be authentic. It has even all the screw threads to fit authentic refills.

Well then, it is still a nice pen so have to think do I want to keep it. Luckily I did not pay that much for it and probably can negotiate some discount.

I have a real Montblanc rollerball pen of the same kind (classique), and the fit and finish is really nice and "tight": that's not something you'll feel with this pen. However, for what it's worth, you can probably fit genuine Montblanc rollerball/fineliner refills into this if you want to use this pen as a toss-around everyday pen. Still, I recommend sticking to genuine articles.

12 hours ago, Nurmister said:

I have a real Montblanc rollerball pen of the same kind (classique), and the fit and finish is really nice and "tight": that's not something you'll feel with this pen. However, for what it's worth, you can probably fit genuine Montblanc rollerball/fineliner refills into this if you want to use this pen as a toss-around everyday pen. Still, I recommend sticking to genuine articles.

Yes, most definitely will stick to authentic pens. When I purchased this, I thought it was authentic MB.

Already have a couple of authentic MB pens (Classique platinum meisterstück and vintage ballpoint/fineliner set) incoming, can't wait to receive them! 🙂

Thanks for the help Nurmister!

1 minute ago, Jsspal said:

Yes, most definitely will stick to authentic pens. When I purchased this, I thought it was authentic MB.

Already have a couple of authentic MB pens (Classique platinum meisterstück and vintage ballpoint/fineliner set) incoming, can't wait to receive them! 🙂

Thanks for the help Nurmister!

You're welcome. That sounds like a great, complete trio; hope you stick around here!

On 4/22/2021 at 12:12 PM, Nurmister said:

You're welcome. That sounds like a great, complete trio; hope you stick around here!

We'll see, they have been stuck in the post for some time, hopefully, next week I can pick them up.

Most definitely, probably will browse more since I feel I have more to learn than to give, at least for now. 🙂