Bock Platinum 950

mke

Anybody uses a Bock Platinum 950 nib? How is it compared to  a steel/a gold nib?

A 250 Bock nib is a #6 nib, isn't it?

Thank you

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• BayesianPrior

• Karmachanic

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, mke said:

A 250 Bock nib is a #6 nib, isn't it?

Correct.

According to Phil at Beaufort they are "hard on the page".

Add lightness and simplicate.

Platinum is a crazy hard metal, so I would assume a 23k platinum nib would be rock hard.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

@Karmachanic

Thank you for the link.

So, Bock makes #8s in Pt - but unfortunately, nobody sells them.  Problem as usual: Bock's minimum order requirements (250 nibs).

Not a good business model to increase sales. But a safe way to annoy possible customers like me.

6 minutes ago, mke said:

Now I know they also have #8 in Pt but as usual, nobody sells them. Problem as usual: Bock's minimum order requirements

That in conjunction with low/lack of demand, which is why Beaufort do not stock the #6.

In this case, it is clear: exaggerated minimum order requirements => no reseller buys them => unavailability and no PR => no demand as nobody knows about these nibs.

Between 1 and 2 is the breaking point.

Only solution: reduce the minimum order requirements => several reseller will buy them => pens will get them => will be shown on IG/FPN => demand increases

Number #8 nibs, 18K and Ti  are readily available, but apparently you don't like the price. You could write Jowo and Bock to share your views, but I doubt you'll be happy with the response. Good luck with your crusade!

I am talking about a #8 in Pt.

> but apparently you don't like the price

Where did you get this idea from? I haven't written anything about price. Please don't invent stuff like this.

FYI, I have already several #8 nibs (18K and Ti).

38 minutes ago, mke said:

Where did you get this idea from?

Recollections from previous posts of yours about the lack of steel #8s. Perhaps I'm wrong

12 hours ago, mke said:

@Honeybadgers

> Platinum is a crazy hard metal

What property do you use to describe Platinum as a hard metal?

Literature says: "Platinum is not a hard metal. It is 4 – 4.5 on the MOHs scale of hardness."

Hardness has several meanings. Moh's scale refers to resistance to scratching and abrasion, where platinum isn't amazing. But platinum is quite brittle, not a ductile metal. It would fracture. Think of it like a hardened steel. not necessarily super "hard" from a moh's perspective, but very fragile.

Also, to the other argument going on - a 23k platinum nib would be FAR more expensive than 18k gold.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I have been considering a 950 Pt nib for my custom pen (threaded for a Bock nib unit).

I completely acknowledge the novelty factor, however my logical reasoning is as follows:

• I want this nib to be a nail, a daily writer for note taking and business drafting.  Perhaps an F with a stub grind.  In this scenario, flex or softness are not desirable qualities, so gold, titanium, and palladium are out.
  • Platinum is less reactive than steel, so I would expect a marginally (although probably imperceptible) improvement with flow.  Also, I'd feel safer using IG inks over the long term.
  • This will be a custom pen, so I can't just have a boring old steel nib, can I?

In terms of pricing, FPnibs.com sells Bock Platinum nibs at EUR 147.  The same size nib in 14k gold is EUR 120.

bayesianprior.png

I'm not quite sure where this '23k platinum' designation has come from. Platinum is not measured in k/carats, but by fineness, and the normal standards are 950 and 800.

Gold is measured in k/ct, as a fraction of 24. Now 23/24 is close to 950/1000, but not exactly the same.  

Hardness is not relevant here - it's simply a measurement of scratch resistance, and platinum is far more likely to show scratches than gold.

The difference between platinum and gold (or other metals) in this case is one of malleability. Gold is soft, actually very soft, which is why the 14k alloy is such a good compromise for nibs - even going up to 18k makes them more vulnerable to bending, and generally requiring more work hardening and sometimes greater thicknesses. Higher purity nibs (21/23k) are simply a status symbol - like the very high carat gold used in some middle and far eastern jewellery, but there is no benefit to them - in fact it could be argued that quite the opposite is the case.

Platinum, on the other hand, is hard to bend (as is titanium, for example) so whilst it's perfectly feasible for use in a nib (which btw will be like the nailiest of all nails) I can't think of a single reason for doing so. There isn't really anything to brag about since the prices for gold and platinum are pretty similar now, and of course gold has the advantage of being recyclable. Its only advantage over Ti is that it's less likely to shatter if badly dropped.

The thing I do always wonder is why more nibs aren't made from white gold as opposed to yellow gold that's then Rhodium plated. Most white golds, especially in the lower carat ranges have a lovely colour - like very light straw - in their bare state,  though 18k can be a little bit grey, and whilst they'd still need to be plated for that silver look that seems to be expected, they would wear far less quickly, and need replating less often. 

Looking at the picture of the Bock nib, I'd say that's been plated too. Possibly to try to avoid some of the scratches that will inevitably appear in use. 

• 2 months later...

Meanwhile. I got this nib and I like it. I got a EF -> XXF grind from fpnibs.com - they also sell these nibs.

What I got is a stiff and wet nib. The line size it writes is very similar/identical to the Sailor EF. However, while writing with a Sailor EF on several papers is just unpleasant (resistance), writing with the Pt nib on these papers is much less unpleasant.

This nib reminds me very much the EF/F Hongdian steel nibs. Not from the line size but from the feeling.

Anyway, I found exactly what I was looking for since a long time - in terms of writing behavior.

Now, I wonder if I would also be pleased by a Jowo 18k XXF or if it is only the Pt and XXF combination.

Picture left side Jowo EF, right side Pt 950 XXF.

comp.jpg

Platinum is a hard metal for jewelry.  One needs lots less of it than gold or silver to hold diamonds and other gemstones high and clear, so more light gets at the stone.

Up to @ 1905 silver foil was used in gold setting to make diamonds glitter white instead of yellow. Then how to use the harder platinum was invented. Often used as an jewel holding overlay over gold....

The Art Decco era was famous for Platinum use.

In the 1920's cheaper white gold came in and replaced much of the platinum use.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 4:52 AM, mke said:

Meanwhile. I got this nib and I like it. I got a EF -> XXF grind from fpnibs.com - they also sell these nibs.

What I got is a stiff and wet nib. The line size it writes is very similar/identical to the Sailor EF. However, while writing with a Sailor EF on several papers is just unpleasant (resistance), writing with the Pt nib on these papers is much less unpleasant.

This nib reminds me very much the EF/F Hongdian steel nibs. Not from the line size but from the feeling.

Anyway, I found exactly what I was looking for since a long time - in terms of writing behavior.

Now, I wonder if I would also be pleased by a Jowo 18k XXF or if it is only the Pt and XXF combination.

Picture left side Jowo EF, right side Pt 950 XXF.

comp.jpg

I'm considering a Pt nib from FPNibs.com

Is yours Bock branded, or plain except for PLATIN at the base of the nib?

bayesianprior.png

@BayesianPrior

> Is yours Bock branded, or plain except for PLATIN at the base of the nib?

plain with the inscription Platin 950 at the base

47 minutes ago, mke said:

@BayesianPrior

> Is yours Bock branded, or plain except for PLATIN at the base of the nib?

plain with the inscription Platin 950 at the base

Thanks! I'd prefer Bock branded (I just like the goat), so I'm tempted to go with Beaufort Inks and get a stock EF.

But I'm also concerned that a stock EF wouldn't be fine enough for my tastes, so I'm also tempted to go with FPNibs.com and get an XXF or F-CI.

bayesianprior.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've just ordered a platinum nib with a fine cursive italic grind from FPnibs.com...excited to put it into my new Ranga 8B.

bayesianprior.png