On-the-Go Lead Pointer

spuriousgeorge

Hi, everyone!

I'm considering buying my first clutch pencil. I would like to pair it with a good lead pointer, preferably a portable one, but feel uncertain which to choose. The rotary models (Alvin, Staedtler, and so on) seem to be the best regarded but also seem to be the most unwieldy. Are there any smaller but just-as-reliable options? Has anyone tried sandpaper?

Thank you so much for your help.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• spuriousgeorge

• Chthulhu

• Anne-Sophie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a huge fan of the Staedtler rotary sharpener (have 2...one at work, one at home), but I do not consider suitable for carrying in a bag or pack since the graphite powder will get everywhere if it tips upside down in your pack.

My favorite non-rotary sharpener is the KUM long point sharpener. It does a great job with wooden pencils, but also has 2mm and 3mm pointers built into the sides. The 2mm pointer gives a nice long point and the shaving are all trapped inside. The downside is that it is far bigger than a dedicated 2mm pointer.

My local art store sells tiny plastic pointers for $0.50 that are very similar to the Ohto pointer on jetpens. They work well but you have to use them over the trash can or outside since they don't trap the shavings. The upside is that they are cheap and tiny so you can buy several and stash them wherever you think you might need them. I keep one in my pen case, one in my wallet, and several stashed in my desk.

Uni makes a self-contained little pointer that looks real convenient for putting in your bag, but the one I got doesn't work at all. The blade simply won't engage the lead. Others folks have given it great reviews, so perhaps I got a dud.

--flatline

Oh, I've never tried sandpaper, but I do have a brick outside that I use to sharpen my shop pencil with 4H lead in it. I imagine that sandpaper would would the same way.

Not as convenient as having an actual sharpener, but will work.

--flatline

Thanks, flatline!

Do the KUM and Staedtler sharpeners yield longer points than the Ohto? Or are the three points similar?

The Staedtler rotary and KUM both give nice long points. The Staedtler point is slightly longer than the KUM.

I don't have experience with the Ohto sharpener, just no-name versions that look similar that my local art store sells. The no-name versions give decent points, but not as long as the KUM of Staedtler.

I've never seen the M+R brass pointer you mentioned. Looks nice.

--flatline

Thanks, flatline!

The M+R lead pointer, for whatever reason, has very few reviews on this site or elsewhere. But I may talk myself into trying one anyway.

This is going to sound like a strange recommendation, but DollarTree sells a 4-pack of incremental advance 2mm colored pencils for $1. Each pencil has a surprisingly good sharpener built into them. It gives a nice long point and can sharpen shorter lead pieces than any other sharpener I have.

The pencils aren't bad either. I've removed the colored lead and replaced it with regular 2mm refills and it works just fine. I don't generally like incremental advance 2mm pencils, but for the price, it's hard to complain. I've even loaded some up  with HB lead and given them to co-workers.

Totally worth $1 for 4 good sharpeners. And if you happen to like the pencils, even better!

--flatline

Rotary pointers will give you a hypodermic needle point.

Nothing else will. 

I like the travelers brass pointer (it's a 4 blade pointer that contains the shavings so you don't make a mess on the go) in addition to my staedler rotary for my Venvstas designer 8 2mm clutch pencil.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

On 4/17/2021 at 5:14 PM, flatline said:

I'm a huge fan of the Staedtler rotary sharpener (have 2...one at work, one at home), but I do not consider suitable for carrying in a bag or pack since the graphite powder will get everywhere if it tips upside down in your pack.

I carry a couple of those in a plastic pencil box along with a bunch of other art tools.  I have the same issue with the graphite powder, but carry the sharpeners in small (snack size) ziplock bags.  I can just open the bag, move the sharpeners to a convenient upright position, and then seal the bag back up when I'm done.  One of them I got for a buck on the clearance rack at a local art supply store near me.

Mind you, I'm using Berol Turquoise and Staedtler-Mars lead holders, not something larger and using the Berol 2 mm leads in them.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm not sure about new ones, but there are "vintage" drafting pencil pointers around. Faber Castell and Emca have some which are small and which cut on three or four edges for a clean, sharp point.

20210419_222618.thumb.jpg.5a8041563a2da3fd46f4bbaeaaa05d1c.jpg

Yes, I started on a board, although we were mainly using the .5, .7, and .9 pencils by then.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

10 minutes ago, bsenn said:

I'm not sure about new ones, but there are "vintage" drafting pencil pointers around. Faber Castell and Emca have some which are small and which cut on three or four edges for a clean, sharp point.

Yes, I started on a board, although we were mainly using the .5, .7, and .9 pencils by then.

Brian

I have an EMCA, and it works very well, but they're limited by the size of the opening in the thing's neck vs. the diameter of the lead holder. I prefer the ones with openings only for just the lead.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

5 hours ago, Chthulhu said:

I have an EMCA, and it works very well, but they're limited by the size of the opening in the thing's neck vs. the diameter of the lead holder. I prefer the ones with openings only for just the lead.

I can see where that would fit a wider variety of pencils. How do you find the Uni you mentioned compared to the EMCA as far as the results of sharpening?

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

6 hours ago, bsenn said:

I can see where that would fit a wider variety of pencils. How do you find the Uni you mentioned compared to the EMCA as far as the results of sharpening?

I can't really see any difference.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

Thank you all so much!

The Uni, given its size and weight, sounds like a great choice. I may try the Staedtler, too, even if it ends up residing on my desk rather than in my stationery case.

Let us know how you like them once you get them.

If you like the Uni, I may replace the one I had.

--flatline

On 4/17/2021 at 3:14 PM, flatline said:

Uni makes a self-contained little pointer that looks real convenient for putting in your bag, but the one I got doesn't work at all. The blade simply won't engage the lead. Others folks have given it great reviews, so perhaps I got a dud.

--flatline

I have to agree. The Uni was great for a while, but it does not engage with my Faber Castel leads at all.  If I recall correctly (and I have to base this on recall, since my Uni is in lockdown at the office) it did a decent job with the fluted Staedtler leads.

However, I just learned about this pointer the other day, and I am covetous!  It is certainly not on-the-go friendly, however.

https://www.amazon.de/Minenschärfer-GEDESS-hellgrau-Minen-Stärke/dp/B006LFV728?currency=EUR&language=en_GB

bayesianprior.png

Any idea if that german rotary sharpener will work with wider pencils?

My pencils that are too wide to work well (or at all) with my Staedtler rotary sharpener are kind of treated like second class citizens. It would be great if I had an option that worked well for them.

--flatline

2 hours ago, flatline said:

Any idea if that german rotary sharpener will work with wider pencils?

My pencils that are too wide to work well (or at all) with my Staedtler rotary sharpener are kind of treated like second class citizens. It would be great if I had an option that worked well for them.

--flatline

If you're referring to the Gedess above, the Amazon listing says it takes leads between 2mm and 4mm.

bayesianprior.png