Pilot Custom 74 EF and F vs SF

MarioR81

hey,

I'm eyeing a pilot custom 74 for near future but I'm wondering about the softness/bounciness and line variation of EF and F compared to the SF. Is the EF and F stiff compared to soft fine?

Reason is usually even steel nibs that are very fine at the tip do have some slight flexiness as lower ends pilot nibs tend to have.

Anyone have tried or have these models and can share any info about it?

Thanks,

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MarioR81

• A Smug Dill

• MuddyWaters

• Paul-in-SF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, MarioR81 said:

Is the EF and F stiff compared to soft fine?

In a word, yes.

Just don't ask me, “but how soft, springy, bouncy or flexy is the EF? I only need this much, and want to know if a non-soft nib could be sufficient.” A Pilot Custom 74 (which I dislike for its ergonomics) fitted with an EF nib, F nib or SF nib costs the same; so, if you actually want that softness, then get the SF nib and learn to control it and produce the sort of writing outcome you want with it. On the other hand, if you actually want a firm and unyielding nib, then I don't know what the SF nib was even mentioned.

What is it that you're actually after from the pen?

Writing sample here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/343508-q-i-use-western-fine-nibs-what-is-the-japanese-equivalent/?do=findComment&comment=4174715

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I've used both the F and SF nib in this pen, but I have not tried any Pilot EF nib. The SF is definitely, but not hugely, softer than the F, in my subjective opinion. It is not in any sense that I understand the term "flexy" but to me the softness makes it a little more pleasant, and perhaps slightly less precise, to write with.

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

In a word, yes.

Just don't ask me, “but how soft, springy, bouncy or flexy is the EF? I only need this much, and want to know if a non-soft nib could be sufficient.” A Pilot Custom 74 (which I dislike for its ergonomics) fitted with an EF nib, F nib or SF nib costs the same; so, if you actually want that softness, then get the SF nib and learn to control it and produce the sort of writing outcome you want with it. On the other hand, if you actually want a firm and unyielding nib, then I don't know what the SF nib was even mentioned.

What is it that you're actually after from the pen?

Writing sample here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/343508-q-i-use-western-fine-nibs-what-is-the-japanese-equivalent/?do=findComment&comment=4174715

I'm still after the "look and feel" of my dip nib but willing to trade off some line variation for a finer line and mobility of a fountain pen. I do know the lines there may be more to a soft medium but I really like the thinner lines :)

1618681182166.jpg.cb2a571dcd48cba9e8157c6b5107a1ac.jpg

2 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I've used both the F and SF nib in this pen, but I have not tried any Pilot EF nib. The SF is definitely, but not hugely, softer than the F, in my subjective opinion. It is not in any sense that I understand the term "flexy" but to me the softness makes it a little more pleasant, and perhaps slightly less precise, to write with.

I completely agree with the trade off between trade off between precise and pleasant of softer and stiff nibs. There are times I find immense joy in writing with a fine stiff nib LOL

5 hours ago, MarioR81 said:

I'm still after the "look and feel" of my dip nib but willing to trade off some line variation for a finer line and mobility of a fountain pen. I do know the lines there may be more to a soft medium but I really like the thinner lines :)

1618681182166.jpg.cb2a571dcd48cba9e8157c6b5107a1ac.jpg

You will probably be more successful finding this in vintage fountain pen nibs, which tend to have more snap-back than the modern soft nib. I think the pilot soft nibs basically cushion the ride more than anything. A dip pen nib has much more snap back than any of these soft nibs.

7 hours ago, MarioR81 said:

I take it you're talking about the writing outcome there, and not a fountain pen nib that looks like a dip pen nib, or feels like one ‘when writing’ such that you have to be painfully aware of how much ink is still clinging to the nib and available to be deposited on paper between dips.

So get a Pilot Elabo with a SEF or SF nib. Or a FA nib on a Pilot Custom (742, 743, or Heritage 912), if that's more to your liking. Or some variation of a Flexy nib from Santini Italia, or a Flex nib from Aurora (with or without being reground finer by a nibmeister independently of the manufacturer), or Montblanc 149 Calligraphy nib.

7 hours ago, MarioR81 said:

There are times I find immense joy in writing with a fine stiff nib LOL

Then get a pen with a fine stiff nib! There is no reason why all the qualities you want, and/or enjoy using, at different times for different purposes have to be embodied in the same pen and nib. If it's a matter of money, instead of spending $800 on a pen that supposed does it all, buy two separate pens instead to suit different purposes and occasions.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

thanks Muddy Waters I agree with the vintage. The thing is that many vintage sellers do not provide writing sample and even if they do, it can be very different the way I write (more pressure etc).

A Smug Dill, from what I've seen so far, the Elabo with SEF or a Custom 74 SF would be closer to the writing sample above. I have some pilot "steel nails" that are a joy to write with. Looking for a similar experience in terms of wetness and consistency of line but closer to a dip. So for modern pens that doesn't cost an arm, possibly the Elabo or the 74 SF are the way to go. Thanks