Ranga - Beauty and the Beast: Majestic and Model 3

Karmachanic

Two beauties actually

A matte black  Ebonite Majestic, no clip, no ring, with a Bock #8 nib, and a Model 3, Black/Red, Premium Ebonite, semi-gloss, wider Bock threaded section, and Pilot FA nib.

I very much appreciate Ranga accommodating me, and making these excellent pens to suit my needs and wishes. Thank you Mr Kandan!

Apologies for the small file size. Clicking on the image will reveal two photos. The second with uncapped pens. First try using a Gallery.

Add lightness and simplicate.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• sansenri

• Dip n Scratch

• smruthib

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lovely.

I think Ranga sometimes misses opportunities to propose new models that they could very easily do, given how flexible their manufacturing skills are, and would attract more users, rather than proposing the same models in unlikely colour fantasies (often underestimating the appeal of simple design/colour), and more questionable designs... (I'm thinking of the Christmas pen in red and white marble...).

The flat top Majestic in all black with no clip and no rings looks extremely slick and the size 8 nib seems a fantastic upgrade.

It only scares me a little bit due to size...

Is the size comparable to any other pen you own?

PS, distracted by the Majestic, but the model 3 with the slightly wider section with no lip also looks very good, almost a different pen. It might be one of my next requests... :) thank you for paving the way...

17 minutes ago, sansenri said:

Is the size comparable to any other pen you own?

No. It's huge! But because it's Ebonite it's also light. I love the girth; section's similar to a Delta

Docevita.

I like the characteristic Ranga section lip on the Model 3, but not possible in conjunction with the wider section, and that wider section makes the pen perfect for my hand. Looks a bit more streamlined, so it's all good.

does look good, how do you like the premium ebonite? it does feel slightly different from regular ebonite, although bakul finish can be rather nice too.

17 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

No. It's huge! But because it's Ebonite it's also light. I love the girth; section's similar to a Delta

Docevita.

That might still be usable, I own a Dolcevita, it's large but comfortable, (probably the one I really cannot handle is the model 5, I own one, and it's really too big for my hand, not so much the section, but the body is too wide! It's so nice though... :))

If you want to be cautious ask for a shorter barrel. Maybe 20-25mm

I have a Majestic and while I'm sometimes intimidated by it, when I use it it is very comfortable to use, not too heavy at all...

I still have to ink the xmas group buy pen, I got it in cream and blue, it's not as ugly as I thought it would be, but still... but I wanted to support them during the pandemic, so there you have it...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

@mhguda, I do understand you, but the xmas colours really did not do it for me... to make up (I'm a supporter too!) I got another Abhimanyu!

Still I think if they asked here what FPNers would like to see (within reasonable limits of course), I bet they would come up with a hugely participated group buy! :)

Some customized versions, as proposed by Karmachanic, might stir a lot of interest, as people tend to lose interest if the proposed models repeat themselves too often. I found the Abhimanyu offer very refreshing.

The model 3 is also a favourite, but I've seen quite a few complain they find the tapering section slightly too thin, while stepping to the Majestic size may be too much.

A 3.5 model (with no step downs) might look interesting... ;)

11 minutes ago, sansenri said:

The model 3 is also a favourite, but I've seen quite a few complain they find the tapering section slightly too thin, while stepping to the Majestic size may be too much

I'd certainly like to see a wider Model 3 top to bottom. Same length and half way between the existing model and the Majestic in girth. Something like M1000 dimensions, with the lovely long Ranga section. Bliss!

Those would be far too big for me, but aren't they beautiful :) 

The all black is a proper stealth weapon - and I really like the red/black - though I think I'd have been tempted to go clipless on that as well.

Thanks for sharing. I'm now very tempted by the matte finish for my next ebonite one.

59 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

I'm now very tempted by the matte finish for my next ebonite one.

Careful. It's addictive. Favoured pens will lose their lustre 🤡

Is the size 8 nib on your Majestic a titanium nib?

Did you need to discuss with Ranga the minimum size of the section to fit a size 8?

I'm curious to know the minimum width for the section to fit a size 8 nib...

Yes, a titanium nib. I asked for the section to be threaded to accommodate a Bock #8 nib. I believe the section size is constant #6 or #8, but the bore is, obviously, different, so that the proportions of the pen remain the same regardless. The published external width is 13 - 14mm. Length - 26mm. No room to spare at the front end.

The section is also matte Ebonite. Delightful!

15 hours ago, Sk33t3r said:

Excellent. I'm waiting to see if Ranga does another group buy for the Model 3. Looks awesome!

Why wait? Purchase on today.bunny01.gif.150564df61667d9304491b2e456dda07.gif

The  ebonite of the Ranga 3 looks like hot lava.

The Abhimanyu's section suits may hand better than the Ranga 3. I bought 3 of them.