Hongdian

I rarely give out a blanket recommendation - but this time, I will do. People needing wall-painters may skip to the next posting.

All my Hongdian pens (one Hongdian 517s, one 1850, 2*1843 and 3*960) are in the upper class of my pens - fully reliable and sporting a wet EF nib which makes writing with EF even more pleasurable.

They are not as EF as my Sailor EFs but they are quite similar to my Sailor Fs - but wetter.

One of the pens, I use with Pilot Iroshizuku Takesumi: this combination produces a real black on all papers I tried - black as black should look like.

I now hope that they are not only very good but also long-living.

Meanwhile, congratulations Hongdian.

From my ranking page:

Hongdian 517s EF *****

Hongdian 1850 EF **** (dries out a bit quickly)

Hongdian 1843 EF *****

Hongdian 960 EF *****

Two other good pens to mention:

Jinhao 85 *****

Wingsung 699 EF **** (needs a wet ink or I will have to change its properties)

=====

Explanation of my ranking levels. If I buy a pen with an M nib because there are no EF nibs, I do not reduce the points but just say: "Unfortunately, ..."

***** Extremely good pen. Nothing to complain.

****  Good pen, but ...

***    Usable.

**      Lots of problems but it writes.

*       Avoid it - by all means.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MuddyWaters

• A Smug Dill

• mke

• Notgatherox

Thanks for your post and I always enjoy comparison ratings. Would you consider taking a group picture of all these pens you listed and uploading here? 

I avoided hongdian because of its copying of Faber Castell but I can see the appeal. For the wing sung 699, did you get the piston or vaccuum version? I ask because most of my wing sung 600 series pistons eventually cracked, including my beloved 618. But I also don't like vaccuum fillers (too back heavy compared to a light plastic piston). 

First of all, I think I know why the 1850 dries out a bit quicker - it is a snap-on cap and not a screw-on cap. Anyway, if one uses the 1850 regularly, it doesn't make any problems.

Here are the photos - shown with some pens which I think are the origin of the inspirations.

From left to right: HD 517S, HD 1850, HD 1843, GvFC Classic Collection (I only have this one, not the more basic, more resembling ones), HD 960 and Pelikan M1000 (I don't have the more similar M800).

PXL_20210418_004534508.jpg

PXL_20210418_010750010.jpg

Those thin pens look very similar. Is there one of them that stands out in terms of comfort, due to duller threads or subtly better shape for your hand? 

I'm not gonna get one of those duofold copies because just ordered a jinhao century. 

15 hours ago, MuddyWaters said:

Is there one of them that stands out in terms of comfort, due to duller threads

The HongDian 1850 (Black Forest and Birch Forest) and 1851 (‘Forest’ in other colours, although they actually have a different marketing name in Chinese) models have snap-caps, and so there are no threads to worry the user's fingers. I like the guilloche on the rubberised finish on the barrel, which gives it a lot of texture and more ‘warmth’ than bare metal; and slipping from sweaty hands isn't likely to happen.

There is a black rubberised version of the HongDian 517 (designated 517D) which feels kinda like a Lamy Studio Lx All Black, and is very, very comfortable to hold while offering a sure grip.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

31 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

There is a black rubberised version of the HongDian 517 (designated 517D) which feels kinda like a Lamy Studio SLAB, and is very, very comfortable to hold while offering a sure grip.

It is very comfortable --- my favorite HD pen (though I like the 1850 series as well). And the coating seems to be lasting quite well, even with posting. The other difference is that the 517D has a snap cap, whereas the 517S is a screw cap.

517d.thumb.jpg.99366d98ca2abb27c0b2d1031d2301c1.jpg

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

38 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

The HongDian 1850 (Black Forest and Birch Forest) and 1851 (‘Forest’ in other colours, although they actually have a different marketing name in Chinese) models have snap-caps, and so there are no threads to worry the user's fingers. I like the guilloche on the rubberised finish on the barrel, which gives it a lot of texture and more ‘warmth’ than bare metal; and slipping from sweaty hands isn't likely to happen.

There is a black rubberised version of the HongDian 517 (designated 517D) which feels kinda like a Lamy Studio SLAB, and is very, very comfortable to hold while offering a sure grip.

Smug, is the Hong dian 517 closer to a Parker sonnet in size or a Lamy studio? If the former, I will forego. If the latter, I will buy instantly :P

The reason I didn't buy yesterday when mike posted this thread was because of the possibility it's yet another small pen. 

14 hours ago, MuddyWaters said:

Smug, is the Hong dian 517 closer to a Parker sonnet in size or a Lamy studio?

See for yourself, and then you can tell me:

large.795822945_HongDian517Dand525sizecomparisonwithLamyStudio.jpg.3a68209ea9e9361f9291ab00480ab0cd.jpg

14 hours ago, jandrew said:

The other difference is that the 517D has a snap cap, whereas the 517S is a screw cap.

That's a very good point. Thanks for bringing it up!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@MuddyWaters

>Is there one of them that stands out in terms of comfort

I think the HD 960 is the most comfortable pen. It has about the same size as a Pelikan M800 (which people do like very much). That doesn't mean that the other pens are uncomfortable.

7 hours ago, mke said:

@MuddyWaters

>Is there one of them that stands out in terms of comfort

I think the HD 960 is the most comfortable pen. It has about the same size as a Pelikan M800 (which people do like very much). That doesn't mean that the other pens are uncomfortable.

These pens look really pretty too. If I buy it, I will have spent nearly 60 bucks on Chinese pens in the last few weeks. Oh well...

The threads look sharp though. 

16 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

See for yourself, and then you can tell me:

large.795822945_HongDian517Dand525sizecomparisonwithLamyStudio.jpg.3a68209ea9e9361f9291ab00480ab0cd.jpg

That's a very good point. Thanks for bringing it up!

Thanks smug, I went with the black 960, though I'm concerned about the threads, whereas this 517 looks smooth

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 9:17 PM, mke said:

First of all, I think I know why the 1850 dries out a bit quicker - it is a snap-on cap and not a screw-on cap. Anyway, if one uses the 1850 regularly, it doesn't make any problems.

Here are the photos - shown with some pens which I think are the origin of the inspirations.

From left to right: HD 517S, HD 1850, HD 1843, GvFC Classic Collection (I only have this one, not the more basic, more resembling ones), HD 960 and Pelikan M1000 (I don't have the more similar M800).

To me they look more like Otto Hutt.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

@jjlax10
> they

I guess you mean the Hongdian 1843. Yes, you are right. The Hongdian pens look similar to both of them, certainly more to the Otto Hutt than to the GvFC.

Good eye.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

These kind of a tube of a pen had been so many , it's likely safe to say they all pretty much dated back to the very early flat tops

The only Hong Dian that I have experience with is the 1837. I really like it. It is bigger than the Sailor Pro Gear, a lot heavier, with a grip section slightly thinner. I've gotten the fude nib because I wanted to try one. The nib is superb: really smooth and esthetically perfect. However, I wish I've gotten the regular F nib because I don't draw much with fountain pens, I only write in notebooks. Hong Dian doesn't seem to sell loose #6 nibs, only their #5. If they did I would buy several to improve many pens I don't care for much.

20210505_074258.jpg

20210505_074320.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 2:05 PM, VillersCotterets said:

The only Hong Dian that I have experience with is the 1837. I really like it. It is bigger than the Sailor Pro Gear, a lot heavier, with a grip section slightly thinner. I've gotten the fude nib because I wanted to try one. The nib is superb: really smooth and esthetically perfect. However, I wish I've gotten the regular F nib because I don't draw much with fountain pens, I only write in notebooks. Hong Dian doesn't seem to sell loose #6 nibs, only their #5. If they did I would buy several to improve many pens I don't care for much.

20210505_074258.jpg

20210505_074320.jpg

I have the 1837 with the regular nib. 
On paper, I really shouldn't like this pen. It's got quite a bit of heft to it and I usually steer clear of pens with smooth metal sections. Boy, am I glad I make an exception for this 1837. It's one of my favorite Chinese pens. The nib is amazing.

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

On 4/18/2021 at 3:17 AM, mke said:

That HD 960... instant love. Luckily I spotted one on eBay. Thanks for the suggestion, Mke. 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion