Best Japanese Entry Level Gold Nib? (Poll)

Diethylether

Pilot vs Sailor vs Platinum  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better?

• Pilot Custom 74
    • Sailor 1911s
    • Platinum 3776 Century

I just want to know, which pen would you choose for Japanese entry level gold nib fountain pen? 

Edit: sorry for the mistake that I've make, I should've say that which pen would you prefer in the list. All pens are equally good at their own perspectives and it's all up to personal preference. I'm just curious about what the public would pick.

Edited by LoginlawHK
Typo

'The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became the truth. ' George Orwell

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diethylether

• DR Teeth

• SF Susan

• Ste_S

26 minutes ago, LoginlawHK said:

I just want to know, which pen would you choose for Japanese entry level gold nib fountain pen? 

That’s a different question than the one in your poll 😉. I doubt that it is possible to objectively say which is best. All three are very good in their own right, each is subtly different and which one to choose comes down to personal preference. By the way, as far as I can tell the Sailor 1911 Standard nibs are identical to the ones used in the Pro Gear Slim and Mini pens.

Personally (although this information is pretty much useless for anyone else), I adore my 3 Pilot pens and my 3 Sailor pens on almost equal basis. I’ve yet to get a Platinum, simply because apart from the nibs their pens don’t speak to me as much. Platinum gives me the feeling that I’m paying for the nib only, while the rest of the pen is sort of an afterthought. But I will definitely get a Platinum one day.

Hmm its a bit like saying which colour is best, blue or green. In this case the way you like your nibs in terms of auditory and tactile feedback will determine the answer, and that doesn't make the nib better, its just largely a reflection on how many prefer more vs less feedback.

1 hour ago, TheDutchGuy said:

That’s a different question than the one in your poll 😉. I doubt that it is possible to objectively say which is best. All three are very good in their own right, each is subtly different and which one to choose comes down to personal preference. By the way, as far as I can tell the Sailor 1911 Standard nibs are identical to the ones used in the Pro Gear Slim and Mini pens.

Personally (although this information is pretty much useless for anyone else), I adore my 3 Pilot pens and my 3 Sailor pens on almost equal basis. I’ve yet to get a Platinum, simply because apart from the nibs their pens don’t speak to me as much. Platinum gives me the feeling that I’m paying for the nib only, while the rest of the pen is sort of an afterthought. But I will definitely get a Platinum one day.

Well, if you don't tell me, I will not notice that there's a difference between the question and the one in the poll😌. I know the three pens are equally good for writing, but I want to know what pens would people pick. 

'The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became the truth. ' George Orwell

All are in the same ballpark wrt quality. What attributes make one nib better than another to you? Smoothness, feedback, wetness, how they work with a particular ink, softness, springiness, aesthetic appearance, tip size/shape, manufacturing consistency, warranty/service, ... ?

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

My opinions change with time, and they are all good options, very reliable. At this point, I would say this:

-platinum nib doesn't feel that different than their steel nibs. The gold nib is longer though so it allows improved writing angle. And it's the prettiest nib. 

-sailor, criminally small pen that I can't even consider. Nibs are otherwise exquisite

-pilot: closer to full size pen with a nib that is noticeably different than their steel nibs (at least you get a different experience). The pilot body is also of higher quality than that of the standard 3776. However, the ergonomics are kind of bad for me. 

So... None of the above :P

I realized that I prefer bigger pens with steel nibs in this price range. 

Well, frankly, given the choices, I'd say NONE of them are what I'd call an "entry level" pen.  If those are the options, the only model I have any of are a couple of 1911S pens (which I like).

For an actual ENTRY level pen, I'd choose a Pilot Metropolitan.  I like mine way better than the Platinum Plaisir I got early on (one of the older ones with the nib color which matched the body color -- and after a while the coating started to peel off the nib...:angry:; plus the cap band is kinda cheesy looking); and while I have several Platinum Preppies, they're set up as roller ball pens, and at least one of them the cap is loose (not sure whether the threading has gone or what).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I love all Sailor nibs, especially the 21k gold ones because they have more bounce, but the 14k ones (like on the 1911S) are great too. I have a Pro Gear Slim Mini which is my favorite pen. The feedback is great, they are a bit of a nail but you can get a tiny little bit of line variation with some pressure. I just love Sailor pens and highly recommend the 1911S. 

21 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Well, frankly, given the choices, I'd say NONE of them are what I'd call an "entry level" pen.

They are, however, entry-level gold nibs of the Japanese ‘Big Three’ fountain pen brands, on models at the lowest end of their respective key product lines: Pilot Custom (which range from the Custom 74 with a 14K gold #5 nib to the Custom Urushi sporting a 18K gold #30 nib), Platinum #3776 Century (which range from the gold-trimmed Chartres Blue and Chenonceau White to the ebonite, kaga maki-e and celluloid models) and Sailor Profit (aka 1911, which range from the humble Profit Standard to the ebonite King Of Pen).

I don't think the point is to have as inclusive (on account of ‘affordability’) a discussion about Japanese pens as possible in this thread/poll. If one wants to refute their being entry-level gold nibs on account of price, he/she would have to point to the Pilot Elite 95S of which the current MSRP is cheaper than that of the Custom 74; Platinum KDP-3000A (desk pen) and PTL-5000A, both of which have been discontinued; and, I suppose, the also discontinued Sailor Promenade, which has the same type of nib as that on the Sailor Profit Standard (aka 1911 Standard or 1911S) anyway.

Out of those nibs and those pens, Pilot Custom 74 would definitely be out of the running, when the Pilot Custom Heritage 91 is the same price, but both more aesthetically pleasing (with flat ends and rhodium trim) and ergonomically better; and I prefer the Pilot Elite 95S to the either of those pens in the Custom product line any day.

I don't like the low-end Platinum #3776 Century models all that much, on account of the pen body's material and finish, which feels cheaper than that on the Sailor. However, as mentioned above, the #3776 Century is not a model, but in fact an entire product line covering a broad range of materials (ebonite, briar, celluloid, etc.) and finishes (kanazawa gold leaf, kaga maki-e, sandblasting, etc.) but all sporting the same type of 14K gold nib.

For the nib, I prefer 14K gold “medium-sized’ Sailor nibs (such as on the Profit Standard and Professional Gear Slim) to 14K gold Platinum nibs, which I rate better than 14K gold Pilot #5 nibs in turn, unless I am specifically seeking a Soft nib. So, assuming we're talking more specifically about lowest-end, black-plastic-with-gold-trim models, I'd choose the Sailor Profit Standard over the other two, although I actually prefer the Sailor Promenade to the Sailor Profit Standard.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Let's approach this from a different perspective - a used, somewhat vintage model. All have gold nibs. All can be had in new or almost new condition.

Sailor Profit - Been made since the 1980s. Comes in different sizes. Maybe ebonite feeds. I believe they came with 14K and 21K nibs. Or consider a Sailor Magellan, if you can find one. Super writing pens.

Pilot 67 or early 74. Essentially the same Pilot as made today. 14K nibs.

Platinum 3776 with flat top. Ebonite feeds. Better nibs than today IMHO. Except for the Slip N Seal, essentially the same pen. The celluloid models can be found with 18K nibs.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

On 4/18/2021 at 9:45 AM, stan said:

Let's approach this from a different perspective - a used, somewhat vintage model. All have gold nibs. All can be had in new or almost new condition.

I was thinking along similar lines.  For the price of the cheapest big 3 gold nib pen, one could get several used pens with gold nibs.

I started my first gold nib with a 3776 M nib.  I hated it when I first used it.  It was dry and scratchy and worst than any of my steel nibs.  I regretted my decision then and wondered what was the hype about gold nibs.

I went back to the shop ( I bought online) and complained to the owner and asked what kind of pen is this (in my naivety).  He asked me to go for lunch and come back after that.

When I came back, magic happened.  The pen wrote so well in classic Platinum fashion and I went down the rabbit hole.  Of course I became good friends with the owner after that and the rest is happily ever after.

I voted Platinum 3776.  I do, in fact, own a 3776 but not a Custom 74 or 1911s.  So I'll admit to the bias up front.  However, the reasons I voted for the 3776 in this poll are the same reasons I voted for the 3776 with my wallet.  Of the three, its got the best nib, the widest body, and the best converter.  I'll explain.  I call the nib the best because its the biggest and most uniquely styled, with the imprint of Mt. Fuji and heart-shaped breather.  Sailor and Pilot 14k nibs are suitably ornate, but ape European scrollwork and just strike me as somewhat generic.  How the nib writes is a matter of personal preference, but to me, my broad nib writes exquisitely.  It is nice and smooth, with a hint of feedback and touch of bounce.  While it is definitely on the drier side, it rarely exhibits creep and never, ever leaks or drips ink.  All three pen companies offer bigger pens, but in this price range, Platinum is the best for my needs.  The 1911s is smaller all around and the Custom 74 is longer, but skinnier.  Visually, the 3776 has the most balanced proportions.  Finally, converters.  I've never used a Sailor converter, but they do have a reputation and not a good one.  Pilot's piston Con-40/50 converters are also notoriously terrible, the push-button Con-70 is a love/hate affair (I have one and am still on the fence), and the aerometric Con-20/B is okay but has drawbacks like you can't see how much ink is in it.  Platinum's converter, on the other hand, is easy to use, easy to clean, and holds a decent amount of ink.  Its as good as any piston-style converter out there.  So that's my case.  The 3776 was a steal when you could get them directly from Japan for $70, but I guess either Platinum HQ or the US distributor cracked down and now they are more like $150-160 in the US.  But I think its still worth it, if only for the fantastic nib.  Of course, one might prefer the smaller size and feedbacky nib of the Sailor or the longer and skinnier body, smoother nib, and rather, uh, "distinct" styling of the Pilot Custom 74, and that's totally cool too.  All are great pens and suitable for the fountain pen enthusiast stepping up to the three figure mark who would rather spend the money on a great nib experience than fancy acrylic and a steel Jowo.    

Edited by DR Teeth

The Custom 74 gets my vote. My first gold-nib pens were Sailor 1911/Pro Gear, and I've been very happy with them—happy enough that I bought several. I’ve since acquired a Custom 74 and I’m over-the-moon in love with it (along with three old Custom 98 mini pens, a 95s, and a Custom Heritage 92). In fact, I’m thinking of selling some of my Sailors and buying more 74s. The only one of the three I don’t yet have is the Platinum 3776. I know these are all considered entry-level gold-nib pens, but I’m honestly happy to stay at that level. I’ve not seen any more expensive pens that I crave, except I’d like to try one of the Pilots with a larger nib.

Voted Platinum 3776. Why?

They're perhaps the best value of the three, with the Bourgogne body being the cheapest of all (at least here in the UK). You also have the widest nib range, even on the cheapest body, with UEF, EF, F, SF, M, B, C and a three tined Music nib (for a bit more money). The 3776 body is a decent size, compared to some (hi Sailor Pro Gear Slim).

Lastly, the nibs are perhaps the prettiest, and are used on Nakaya pens. You're essentially getting a plastic bodied Nakaya, for not much money.

I have all three of these pens. My Custom 74 is relegated to the junk drawer as the section cracked and snapped. I have Preppies that look better and write better than my 74. The nib and the pen were boring and the pen was cheap. I also dislike Pilot converters.

I do love my Sailors. I have three Progears, both a fine and medium nib, as well as a 1911 standard with a custom stub nib. They are very solid pens that write beautifully. Their nibs have a distinctive quality that gives a crispness and control to my writing. Their materials aren't luxurious by any means, but they are attractive . These pens are tanks and last forever. Mine are always inked up.

Platinum nibs are lovely. I have a Lilas, medium, that is one of my favorite nibs, with a pencil like quality. The Lavande has a fine nib, which is very fine indeed and is perfect for grading and writing margin notes (it's not inked at the moment since I do most of my grading online these days). Like the Sailor, the plastic isn't luxurious, but it is highly durable, and I like the slip and seal cap.

I would say Platinum 3776.  The Custom 74 is the one pen I really regret buying.  It’s sharp and stiff and not pleasurable to write with at all, I’ve got Pilot Prera that writes better.  I don’t have a 1911, but do love the Sailor Pro Gear...but the 3776, especially the medium, I just really love everything about the pen!

I vote for the Platinum 3776. I have several of them with different nibs and they write consistently with good ink flow. They are of a good size for me and the music nib is fun to use.

I do not own a Pilot Custom 74 or any other Pilot pen with a gold nib, but I do have a Sailor 1911S and a Platinum 3776, both with medium nibs (and both inked at the moment).  I also own two Sailor Pro Gear Slim pens, one fine and one broad.

I favor the Sailor nib, because I like the feedback that it provides.  In fact, my 1911S is the only pen I always have inked.  I find the Platinum nib, and the pen in general, eminently serviceable but not especially interesting.  I have heard/read that Pilot nibs are the smoothest of the three, but to me smoothness is not a selling point; even my Platinum hydroplaned on the page when I first wrote with it.

I am surprised that anyone would praise the Platinum converter.  I have written exclusively with fountain pens for nearly 25 years and have never had to replace any other converter--for example, my nearly 25-year-old Waterman Gentleman pen still has its original converter, and my 15-year-old Levenger converter survived being catapulted into an intersection--but I consider Platinum converters disposable items.  At first I was shocked that a converter would fail, and after only a few months!  Now I just make sure to have spares.  (Yes, I understand that some people regularly disassemble and lubricate their Platinum converters.  Perhaps such a practice would make mine last longer also, but if every other manufacturer's converters work for years without maintenance, I don't see why Platinum is different.)

On 5/1/2021 at 12:15 AM, ENewton said:

I am surprised that anyone would praise the Platinum converter.  I have written exclusively with fountain pens for nearly 25 years and have never had to replace any other converter--for example, my nearly 25-year-old Waterman Gentleman pen still has its original converter, and my 15-year-old Levenger converter survived being catapulted into an intersection--but I consider Platinum converters disposable items.  At first I was shocked that a converter would fail, and after only a few months!  Now I just make sure to have spares.  (Yes, I understand that some people regularly disassemble and lubricate their Platinum converters.  Perhaps such a practice would make mine last longer also, but if every other manufacturer's converters work for years without maintenance, I don't see why Platinum is different.)

Hmm, well, maybe I got a good one.  I don’t have 25 years of fountain pen experience, but I do own a dozen or so converters for various pens and definitely rate the Platinum at the top. It’s sturdy, easy to disassemble for cleaning, easy to reassemble, easy to fill, holds a decent amount of ink.  I’ve had mine in continuous service for two years and it’s never missed a beat.  I do disassemble and clean it between ink changes (it’s so easy - why not?).  But I’ve never greased it.  The only criticism I could say is that I wished it screwed into the section like some of the int’l converters do.  I like that assurance that nothing is going to pop off in a shirt pocket or something.  But I’ve never had the Platinum converter come loose, so it seems plenty secure.  

I applaud Pilot for thinking out of the box in their converter designs.  The Con-B aerometric is super easy to use and to clean.  It’s definitely the best Pilot converter.  It’s perfect for frequent ink changes and one-off projects.  It’s less good for workhorse daily driving since it isn’t big and you can’t see the ink level.  However, inking a pen from a bottle is one of the more enjoyable aspects of fountain pen ownership, so maybe frequent filling isn’t the worst thing.  I’m finding the Con-70 very fussy, and mine is the new “improved” one.  It doesn’t disassemble to clean (I heard the old one did, but wasn’t really designed for that).  Flushing with a syringe helps A LOT, but I still end up with ink stuck behind the piston.  I think this one is best to just “fill and forget” and not change inks too often.