collectorofmanythings

Hello! First of all, this is only my third review on FPN, so if you can please leave constructive criticism below! I would love to improve the quality of my reviews.

The Pilot E95S seems to be like the least expensive gold nib pen that is consistently offered here in the U.S. . The only cheaper one I can think of is the Platinum PTL-5000A, which I would love if it was consistently offered in the U.S., but they seem to constantly discontinue it. So, this is a very popular first gold nib pen. It was my second gold nib, so I did get it relatively early in my fountain pen hobby. For a quick summary of the review, I like this pen. I don’t love it, but it’s is great value, and I definitely recommend it.

Design and Build Quality (8.5/10)

For the most part, this design is great. It is slim, but comfortable, has a great inlaid nib (which I love), is compact, but bigger when posted, and the feeling of capping and uncapping is great. But, Pilot’s black resin does not hold up to the little metal things on the inside of the cap that hold it on. It has fine scratches on it, which are pretty apparent. Now, I am one of those people who sort of like that, and don’t really want pens to look brand new, I want them to look like I used them. But I can understand how this can annoy some people. That’s why it’s a 8.5/10, instead of a 10/10.

Nib Performance and Writing Experience (9/10)

This nib is great. I have a fine nib, which is 14k gold and inlaid. It is smooth, and quite soft. I would call this a flex, semi-flex, or soft nib, but a quite soft nib. By that I mean that you can get some line variation, but not that much where you can use it for calligraphy, just a bouncy writing experience. The only thing is it is just a bit particular with inks. Both Noodler’s Walnut and Diamine Chocolate Brown were just a bit too dry for it, and it had some skipping. But all Herbin, Jacques Herbin, and Iroshizuku work great with it from my experience. With them the pen is not especially wet, but I wouldn’t call it dry either. With the writing sample, I used Jacques Herbin Terre d’Ombre, which is currently my favorite ink but might be replaced by Robert Oster Caffe Crema when that ink sample gets to me, and on 52gsm cream Tomoe River Paper.

Conclusion

This a great pen, and a great value! I highly recommend it. It’s really great!

Little Note- It seems like every place I go to except for JetPens sells it as the Pilot E95S for $136, but JetPens sells it as the Pilot Elite 95S for $136 as well. Just a little thing.

Edit- It was to commemorate the 95th anniversary of Pilot, but is not a limited edition. It also comes with the Pilot CON-40, but can fit the discontinued CON-20. 

Now the pictures:

The second to last photo shows scratches on the barrel, and the last one shows the metal things on the inside of the cap.

E3689AE6-B50F-43D6-A83B-9CA1AD6E016A.jpeg

36AF47A5-30DC-40D8-96A3-85CCCE74AAAD.jpeg

B786AFE8-EAB9-49EB-8FA0-743CA1BEBD7E.jpeg

CD4D4A48-4523-4930-802C-3432F45B4DB5.jpeg

C6F7FBC7-A01A-4751-8FCD-515AA78D8508.jpeg

Edited by collectorofmanythings

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• A Smug Dill

• collectorofmanythings

• effrafax

Nice review!  I liked your photos a lot.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Nice review. I've always liked the look of this pen, but it's just too narrow for me. I like pocket pens for work.

9 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

What converter came with the pen?

If it came with a converter at all, it'd be a CON-40, since a CON-50 wouldn't fit in it let alone a CON-70. You can of course forget about getting a CON-20. ;)

I got yet another Pilot Elite 95S recently from an eBay seller based in Japan, but since his habit is to offer all pens he sells with a matching converter, including for Sailor and Platinum models I know don't come packaged with converters at the factory, I can't tell you if Pilot itself supplies a converter if you were to source an SKU of this pen from a (Japanese) retailer.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

10 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

What converter came with the pen? Your photos are nice as well as your comments.

A CON-40 (sorry I forgot to mention!)

2 hours ago, TSherbs said:

Nice review. I've always liked the look of this pen, but it's just too narrow for me. I like pocket pens for work.

It’s actually not quite so narrow. The grip section is comparable to that of the Conklin All American, which is an oversized pen.

15 minutes ago, collectorofmanythings said:

It’s actually not quite so narrow. The grip section is comparable to that of the Conklin All American, which is an oversized pen.

It's narrow for my preference, is of course what I mean. That's what the "for me" part meant. I use thinner pens less and less as I get older....

Just now, TSherbs said:

It's narrow for my preference, is of course what I mean. That's what the "for me" part meant. I use thinner pens less and less as I get older....

Oh, that’s okay. I have super small hands so I prefer smaller grips. Thank you for your response! Have a nice day.

Honestly I really like this pen and I send it as a gift for my gf. It's cute and lovely. One thing I don't like is the pilot con40 converter. I need to refill it at least once in a day which is a pain.

Btw an interesting fact, if you get this pen from a Japanese retailer, it came with "Elite" instead of "E". I have seen the pictures online but I am not sure why it is the case?

Eric

On 4/17/2021 at 8:29 AM, TheDutchGuy said:

Never seen one in Europe. Thanks for the review!

I got mine from Stilo et Stile in Italy (https://www.stiloestile.it/en/jolisearch?search_query=pilot+elite)

I was pleasantly surprised by the really smooth M nib. I don't like the con-40 converter but since i use it as a pocket pen i prefer cartridges for this pen. They are easier to use on the road.

I agree with the review, it's a great little pen.

8 hours ago, Eric Lyu said:

Btw an interesting fact, if you get this pen from a Japanese retailer, it came with "Elite" instead of "E". I have seen the pictures online but I am not sure why it is the case?

The simplest (and correct) answer is that the model is officially marketed as the Elite 95S (エリート95S) in Japan, while in the US it is marketed as the E95S by Pilot; and so the marking on the pen body should match the product name under which it is sold.

26 minutes ago, GeeTee said:

I got mine from Stilo et Stile in Italy

Thank you very much for sharing that valuable bit of information about the pen's retail availability in Europe.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Great review, if not expected given how consistently good Pilot is. I love Pilot's decision to keep the styling about the same as its quaint pocket pens from the 60s. The cap issue mars almost all pens without a large step-down to the section, not just this pocket pen. However, given how apparent the scratches are, perhaps Pilot should have considered a felt inner lining to the cap, as they do with Namikis. For the price though, we can't really complain (and resin can easily be polished).

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

• 1 month later...

Just a little update, after spending about an hour working in the nib, it finally is usable in terms of wetness. I may go back later and make it nicely wet, but don’t feel comfortable with that for the moment!

On 4/23/2021 at 5:05 PM, Nurmister said:

if not expected given how consistently good Pilot is.

Yes; I think I just got an exception. All the other Pilots I have are great! Looking back, the experience was less than exceptional. Less than ok, for that matter. Now it’s nice, but it’s not quite how I like it! Also, Pilot nibs are typically quite smooth, but this one had quite a bit of feedback, more than some of my Sailors. I actually like that, as long as it doesn’t have drag and just adds a more tactile experience.

• 10 months later...

How does the slip clap hold up after repeated use. Any issues of the cap sliding off after many years of use?

5 minutes ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

Any issues of the cap sliding off after many years of use?

Sliding off? Not on mine.

Thanks. That is one of the reasons why I avoid Fountain Pens with slip caps. But it appears that my fears unfounded. Thank you. Now to add a Elite 95 to my collection.

Yes, it's worth it.  A wonderful pen.  I also recommend the "vintage" version.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

• 5 months later...

I have seen comments on other reviews of the E95S (on FPN and other sites) that some people tend to have problems with their hand slipping down to the nib. Can anyone speak to that?