Parker Duofold

matthewfox

Good morning

I've attached a few photos of a Duofold I've just bought and wondered if anyone could offer any advice. Upon unscrewing the barrel, there's a small crack on the (excuse me if I'm using the wrong terms) sac peg. It was extremely tough to remove - despite gentle heating with a hairdryer - so not sure if it was cracked before or if I did it. The damage doesn't seem to spread too far down so is this a cause for concern? From my un-expert point of view, a new ink sac fixed in place with shellac should prevent any leaks, and it should all be held in place when screwed back together? I haven't taken the nib out yet: I want to get it all cleaned but don't want to risk further damage.

Any thoughts please?!

Duofold 01.jpeg

Duofold 02.jpeg

Duofold 03.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthewfox

• baz666

• Dione

• Ron Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you're right in that there won't be any noticeable problem when you've got the new sac shellacked back on. Ink should only be able to go either down to the nib or into the sac. Personally I wouldn't remove the nib and feed unless it's essential to do so. i.e. broken nib that needs replacing. Clean the lower part of the section in pen flush before replacing the sac.

39 minutes ago, Dione said:

I think you're right in that there won't be any noticeable problem when you've got the new sac shellacked back on. Ink should only be able to go either down to the nib or into the sac. Personally I wouldn't remove the nib and feed unless it's essential to do so. i.e. broken nib that needs replacing. Clean the lower part of the section in pen flush before replacing the sac.

Thank you for that confirmation!

There are a range of ink sac sizes - would you know which one fits this pen? Also, date-wise - I think it's a Parker Duofold Senior as the nib is inscribed with "35 9". As it's brown, am I right in thinking it'd be between 1946 - 56? Or am I miles off?!

9 hours ago, matthewfox said:

Thank you for that confirmation!

There are a range of ink sac sizes - would you know which one fits this pen? Also, date-wise - I think it's a Parker Duofold Senior as the nib is inscribed with "35 9". As it's brown, am I right in thinking it'd be between 1946 - 56? Or am I miles off?!

Your Duofold is an  AF (aluminium filler) Duofold, not a Senior. They were made between 1948 - 1953.
The colour is Burgundy, not Brown and yours has the gold wash filler which is a little less common.
Hope this helps.

I doubt that taking the section out of the barrel caused the sac nipple to crack.  More likely caused by resetting the nib and feed - but anything is speculation.    You might away with shellac and a new sac on the nipple to cover the crack.  As my dad used to say, "If you don't ask, the answer's always no."  If you do have a flooding issue, the sac nipple can be replaced.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thank you @baz666, that's very helpful indeed (although I've now gone and ordered a different sized sac replacement but it can be exchanged, I'm sure). I shone a torch through the barrel and it does indeed show up as burgundy. I was sort of close with the year though :) I'm glad that it can be narrowed down a little further.

@Ron Z Is the sac nipple a separate piece or all part of the grip assembly (excuse the terminology!)

I read that 35 on the nib could denote a Senior - does that mean this nib is not original to this pen, or something else?

The Aluminium Filler Duofolds (as well as the earlier English Duofolds & early Aerometric Duofolds) would have originally had the older style nib with the N for Newhaven. By 1954 they had numerous sizes of pens in the Duofold range (Senior/Duofold/Demi/Victory Mk5/Slimfold), all with different sized nibs & changed the nib imprint so it had the nib size (sometimes followed with a date code). The Aerometric standard sized Duofold used a smaller nib (size 25) than the AF so when the earlier pens needed/need a replacement nib the correct size was the bigger 35 (Aerometric Senior).  The nib on your pen has the 35 denoting the size (Senior) & the 9 denoting the year (1959). Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, theredfalcon said:

The Aluminium Filler Duofolds (as well as the earlier English Duofolds & early Aerometric Duofolds) would have originally had the older style nib with the N for Newhaven. By 1954 they had numerous sizes of pens in the Duofold range (Senior/Duofold/Demi/Victory Mk5/Slimfold), all with different sized nibs & changed the nib imprint so it had the nib size (sometimes followed with a date code). The Aerometric standard sized Duofold used a smaller nib (size 25) than the AF so when the earlier pens needed/need a replacement nib the correct size was the bigger 35 (Aerometric Senior).  The nib on your pen has the 35 denoting the size (Senior) & the 9 denoting the year (1959). Hope this helps.

+1  To exactly what theredfalcon said.