Sailor KOP nibs sound

The-Thinker

To those who own a sailor k0p do you feel that the nib makes a louder pencil like  sound while writing; compared to the sailor profit Large? Could it be my own nib or

is it due to the larger nib size

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The-Thinker

• Tseg

• arcfide

• tubular

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My KOPs make a faint pencil-like sound, audible if I put my head down near the paper.  The sound is pretty much the same as that of my other, smaller-nibbed Sailors.

When I'm off the sweet spot of my KOP B nib, it will make a fairly distinct sound commensurate with the texture of the paper, but when I'm on the sweet spot of the nib, the nib is almost completely silent, maybe with a hint of a whisper. 

i am not sure why the feeling (which is also translated into the sound) of the nib on paper is different from that of my smaller sailor nib sizes and it feels the least with the 14k sailors that are more like a nail. I feel that’s due to the springiness of the nib and the hollow structure of the ebonite of the KOP M makes the sound resonate more.

In addition the broader nib sizes of sailor  are not as buttery smooth as western nibs (Pelikan) like other say. I still get the pencil like feeling and it’s kind of different feeling of pencil between different nib sizes. I'm not sure if that’s just my pens or it’s generally true for sailor

The sound of a KoP medium or broad nib moving across paper is not normally detectable to me. On certain paper, I do hear a slight scratchiness which does not seem to transfer to the sense of the pen in my hand. This is the case with my plastic, ebonite, and urushi KoPs.  With my 1911L with H-F nib and Pro Gear Standard demo, also with H-F nib, there is a slight scratchiness when writing.  For me, this is just a part of the experience of using a fountain pen with wet ink on paper.

• 2 weeks later...

Paper and ink also have an impact with this nib relative to sound... and then, of course, ensure complete 3-dimensional nib alignment.  Also weather/humidity also have an impact whether a nib sounds/feels smooth or provides more feedback.  And then what sized nib?  A Broad KoP will likely be more smooth and quiet than a Fine 1911 Large.

i tried to take pictures of the nib, as clean and close as i could, what do you think are there any issues? I don’t feel that nib is scratchy like grabs on the paper, but it feels different from other sailors 21K MF and 14K F that are a bit smoother in that sense and less audible. Do you think this is a characteristic of the KOP and the large M nib ? i thought it would be buttery smooth as may said is true with broader sailor nib sizes! 

Photo on 27-04-2021 at 1.52 PM.jpg

Photo on 27-04-2021 at 1.55 PM.jpg

Other than the nib appearing off center from the feed, I don't see anything that looks crazy to me comparing it to my own KOP B nib. However, the first photo does make it look a touch misaligned, but the second photo does not look like it is. Another thing you might want to take into consideration is that the KOP nibs are not the H-M or H-B nibs that are on the Profit Large pens. The H-M and H-B are specifically designated as "hard" nibs while the KOP is definitely a relatively soft nib. It's very flexy/bouncy for what it is, and with nibs like that, if you apply pressure and are slightly off center in the way you apply that pressure, even if it is a tiny bit of pressure, you can find yourself misaligning the tines when you write. I don't know if that is something that you are doing, but I know that it can happen. You may need to play around with exactly which angle and pressure works to create the best sensation for you, as I can get anything from a harsh, hard pencil feedback to a silky-like smoothness from the same nib (B) depending on pressure and angle of the pen, to say nothing of the ink and paper. Especially with how bouncy the KOP nib is, it's easy to do this compared so, say, my harder Lamy B nib, which is much more resistant to such rotations. 

The left side (when facing head on) seems too low.  I would also pinch in the wings of the nib as the gap in the tines do not appear parallel.  With what I I can see in the picture it makes sense it is scratchy.   Likely the right tine (as you look down on from on top) is grabbing the paper a bit.  Also, it never hurts to carefully push the nib back into the pen... firmly but with not too much force.  You can then write 2 strokes to the left, 2 to the right, 2 up and 2 down, then 2 diagonal to right and 2 to left... that should give you a hint what is grabbing where.

i tried to fiddle around with ti and do as some recommended, this is what i got, and this time i tried to take cleaner pictures and closer, what do you think ?

Photo on 29-04-2021 at 3.32 PM.jpg

Photo on 29-04-2021 at 3.33 PM.jpg

How does it write now?  Are you adjusting with your fingers?  The metal is looking pretty mangled.  Lots of flat and pointy spots.

2 hours ago, Tseg said:

How does it write now?  Are you adjusting with your fingers?  The metal is looking pretty mangled.  Lots of flat and pointy spots.

i did use some tools but trie to be careful, i used padded pliers. The surface was a bit scuffed, i need to polish it, but the results are magnified by that caliber of magnification. Here is a picture from a standard magnification. The writing experience is way better now, i enjoy it more . What are your thoughts ?

Image.jpeg