advice needed re fair price for a mb agatha christie le

lionelc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MONTBLANC-Writers-Edition-Agatha-Christie-Vermeil-4810-Fuller-28606/274597391967

i would like to get several opinions regarding a fair price for this pen.  the seller has been honest, i can appreciate the cap gouge from the pictures.  less appreciable would be the previous owners polishing which has nearly removed the le number/4810.  i believe that buying a pen this expensive should not be rushed and have done some research looking though gary lehrer's previous catalogues and other resources.  its asking price is 2134 usd.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lionelc

• KAC

• Dione

• elton7033

Top Posters In This Topic

Commenting exclusively from my own perspective and with only limited knowledge of the market for these pens, I've seen nearly pristine versions on Ebay from time-to-time in this price range. In short, it seems too costly for its condition. I, at least, would not be tempted by this item.

22 minutes ago, KAC said:

it seems too costly for its condition

thats what i think too - hence no offer made, didnt want to insult the seller

I saw one with box in ebay a few month ago going similar price may be 100-200usd more expensive.

To me the price sounds very expensive for an over polished pen with a gouge in the cap, no serial number, presumably no Christie signature remaining, and worse yet it doesn't even come with the original box. Christie isn't a difficult pen to find although the vermeil version maybe slightly more difficult. Still not worth over paying. I would want a pristine pen in original box for that price.

I broadly agree with the advice above.  As I'm sure you are more than aware there were 4810 of the vermeil (gold / sapphire) versions of the pen made in comparison to 30,000 of the ruby version.  I have seen the standard version with correct paperwork and in mint (or nearly mint) condition sell for between $1,750 and $2,300 but have to admit not having watched the vermeil version so closely - although you have piqued my interest again KAC!

I think you have already come to the right conclusion but I think they are asking too much for a pen that has been overly polished and doesn't come with the correct paperwork, even if the price came down by 20% I don't think I'd pull the trigger on that one but these decisions are always personal and beauty is in the eye of the beholder! 

I don't think you should be afraid to make an offer though if there is a price that works for you and explain your reasoning. I have often discussed the value of pens with vendors on Ebay and if it is approached in the right way I don't know why they would take offence, they are looking to sell and may well come round to your reasoning and, for that matter, your price if you have one. I never offer a price though without being prepared to go through with the purchase if it is accepted, that is my one rule generally..

I have the standard version and it is one of my very favourite fountain pens and so if you do decide to proceed I wish you the very best and many many hours of enjoyment with it, the vermeil is a smart pen! 

The Mustard

12 minutes ago, The Mustard said:

even if the price came down by 20% I don't think I'd pull the trigger on that one

thanks colonel, i agree and thank you for your helpful comments.  i will sit on this for a few more days and think about it - buyers remorse is a bad thing to have with a 1000usd+ pen.  

A lot has been said by the replyers.

I think it is overpriced for such pen in user condition and without correct paperwork. If I buy such pricerange pen I expect good condition and correctpaper work and box. Without those it is just another pen for daily use and not worth than 50% of the askingprice

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

9 hours ago, KJY said:

Without those it is just another pen for daily use

thank you kjy for your assessment.  a limited edition loses its 'limited edition' appeal when worn, chipped and over polished.  i dont mind the lack of boxes and documentation so much as the loss of its condition.  ebay is sometimes useful, however for some items, gross overestimation of an items value really makes the buying experience a minefield. 

Hard to know, especially when a lot of the time the normal versions go for at least this price and considerably more. I can't see the cap gouge in the pictures and I'd certainly ask for more than one closeup picture, well lit. Wear on a much loved and used pen I can usually cope with. A gouge might for ever annoy me every time i look at it. Still, could be in the right price ball park. I've seen these sell for quite phenominal prices rather than languishing in ebay listings for years like so many other pens.

1 hour ago, Uncial said:

cap gouge in the pictures

the gouge is in the very first picture, a crescent sort of shape.  you will note that there are no pictures of the christie signature nor the le number - probably as part of the effort to polish the pen down these have become very faint indeed.

No expert, but that looks like a very broad nib.  As someone who'd love a broad-nibbed Agatha, BBB if it existed, I think they're a lot scarcer than M and F.  That may up the rarity/price.