Parker 51 (original) Prices in 2021 :)

TheRedBeard

I agree with what Parker51 said.  They were the flagship line for Parker for something like 20 years, and they apparently stopped counting how many they made after the 12 MILLIONTH one rolled off the assembly line.  

There are probably a LOT of collectors out there who just put theirs into display cases and don't use them.  I have about a dozen or so but mine do get used.  Someday I'd like to be able to afford a full sized Plum Aero, and maybe one of the Yellowstone 51 Vacs.  But am not going stir-crazy in the meantime, due to the prices that are being asked at this point (even the Plum Demi I found on eBay a number of years ago, and which was-- then -- a decent price, and which is probably my favorite pen, would not be that inexpensive now).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRedBeard

• Carguy

• Glenn-SC

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Parker51 said:

I believe there are still a large amount of later Parker 51s in the wild and typically the prices for them are quite reasonable, but early ones have for the most part left their original owners possession. Thus the early 51s one finds in the wild are pens inherited from older relatives, unwanted and perhaps having sat unused for half a century or more. I am seeing this less and less often, but prices for them can be quite reasonable.

However, early Parker 51s that are in dealer and collectors possession are not low priced at this point. This appears to be despite them existing in very large quantities. It is my understanding that many dealers and most collectors are simply keeping prices at what they believe is a reasonable level based in part on comparative value of other pens, cost of having obtained said pens, cost associated with restoration and the cost of replacement.

The reason I believe that the price of early Parker 51s holding their value and in some cases increasing in value despite there being plentiful as apparently violating the laws of supply and demand is due to a misunderstanding of the laws of supply and demand. 

The laws of supply and demand work most perfectly with regard to commodities and products which act like commodities. As such one needs to think of not just early Parker 51s, but all comparable pens. The net supply of comparable pens such as these is actually decreasing as some of Parker’s competitors made fine pens out of materials that means they have literally have fallen apart and honestly, even the material early 51s were made of is starting to show its age and loose its thermoplastic capabilities. And while any given national market may be decreasing, the size and mass of Fountain Pens lend themselves to easy and comparatively low cost movement from market to market and the global market is increasing for Fountain Pens, including vintage ones. 

Also, one needs to consider the cost of new Fountain Pens, which in many cases is higher than early Parker 51s, including the currently made new Parker 51. 

This all creates a situation where marketers of early Parker 51s can continue to sell them at their current price levels without dropping prices, and since replacement pens can’t be obtained at low (wholesale) cost, the pens will only be marked down a little and only as the entire market decreases in value. 

Thank you, Parker51. Very good and accurate observation I am inclined to agree with :) 

Your mentioning of supply and demand law working for commodities perhaps  reelects the real situation with original rare P51s which are not commodities but collectables instead, and thus, prices for them are actually  controlled by collectors...

The most collectors I have ever met are pretty reasonable people and know very well what is a real price for any particular 51 of particular condition today. 

The bigger problems is amateurs and dilettanti who may cause distorting or inflate prices quite often... and it is the case not only for 51s but for other vintage Parker models. 

All the best is only beginning now...

• 2 months later...

Earlier this night Parker 51 rolled-silver cap+barrel with a bit unusual burgundy section has been sold on UK eBay for £820 :) 

It seems it is absolute record of the prices paid for P51s on UK eBay...

Do anyone need any more proof that P51 is the best FP even designed and made??? ;) 

And will you buy to buy a rubbish NG51 after that??? ;) 

I don’t think that is a record price for a 51 on eBay. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

3 hours ago, FarmBoy said:

+1

And the price someone pays for any single item (and there may be numerous reasons someone is willing to pay an incredibly high price for any pen, from it’s just like the pen Grandpa had to it’s the missing color in their collection to they were drunk and hate to lose auctions) does not necessarily make it “better” functionally or a better value than any other pen available. 

7 hours ago, FarmBoy said:

In 2022 so far, I mean ... ;) 

I have 7 Parker 51s, 4 of which could be said to be "collection worthy."  I keep at least two inked at any given time, even though I have dozens of conventional fountain pens from which to choose.  The Parker 51 was an "expensive" pen when it was introduced in 1941 at $12.50 which in today's dollars (which are losing value as I type this) would be about $256 and that was for the basic, unadorned "51."  The price of a vintage "51" will continue to climb.  There's no question of that. I believe that it still represents the pinnacle of fountain pen design, especially the Aerometric.  King Charles would be much happier with a regally adorned Aerometric "51", I'm sure.  If he is seen with one at his next signing we can expect collector values to bump.

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

I have been stalking a set with rolled silver caps today, but I think it will be over $200 when it ends later today, and I can’t justify that. A full rolled silver 51, which I’ve never seen before, went for close to $1000 yesterday.

20 minutes ago, Carguy said:

..... A full rolled silver 51, which I’ve never seen before, went for close to $1000 yesterday.

Yes, it was the one I mentioned above: sold for £820 on eBay UK. 

18 minutes ago, TheRedBeard said:

Yes, it was the one I mentioned above: sold for £820 on eBay UK. 

It was sure pretty, but my lust stopped at $300

My lust would have ended WAY before $300.  The most I EVER paid was about $120 US (including the buyers' premium) at an auction at a pen show a few years ago -- UK production Navy Gray Aero, and I was bidding on the OB nib as much as anything).  The low end was the Forest Green Aero with the EF nib -- two bucks at an estate sale, and it wasn't until I went on the Parker Forum going "I've just out-sumgai'd MYSELF that I found it was one of the rarer colors.  Most of the rest of the stash were in the $50-80 range, including repairs on a couple of the 51 Vacs.  But then, I'm also NOT a c-worder....  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."