Too Many Blues!

Uncial

5 hours ago, Uncial said:

I just inked up a pen with the Napoleon Blue. It's a fairly bog standard blue. Little bit of shading, slight reddish tinge and a bright blue as opposed to a grey blue. It gets a sort of peculiar softness when completely dried. Somewhat similar to Robert Oster Blue Sea but a touch brighter and softer.

May I see a photo? Still no real life samples around online

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• Uncial

• Cyrille81

• rvur

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The scented Elixir inks have lots of scent. While writing, on the paper all scented inks loose a lot of scent fastly.

The Purdey Tobacco smells nice but not very strong. But that's ok. The Single Malt smells a little but too much like cheap booze 😅 So it does not worry me too much.

37 minutes ago, Michael R. said:

The scented Elixir inks have lots of scent. While writing, on the paper all scented inks loose a lot of scent fastly.

The Purdey Tobacco smells nice but not very strong. But that's ok. The Single Malt smells a little but too much like cheap booze 😅 So it does not worry me too much.

I really like to Single Malt even if I don't drink whiskey but the Cigar one, even when I open the ink bottle I can't smell something but like a lot the color of the ink. In the scented ink I like there are the wood & tobacco (even if I don't find the fragrance of wood or tobacco) and the marine blue.

A day later it has quite a different appearance than wet. It gets much softer and becomes quite a bit more distinctive. When wet it looks like any standard Royal Blue.

I don't mind some good blues, but MB has been blue-focused lately.  I might guess that limited-edition blue ink sells better than some of their other limited colors.

From the Blue Palette collection, my favorite is the Egyptian Blue.  The New York Metropolitan Museum of Art has a famous ancient Egyptian hippopotamus statue, nicknamed William many  decades ago.  We have a ceramic William from the museum store as well as a stuffed version for my young son.

Montblanc Egyptian Blue is the same color.  My son noticed the resemblance immediately!

william-met-cropped.jpg

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

25 minutes ago, Kalessin said:

I don't mind some good blues, but MB has been blue-focused lately.  I might guess that limited-edition blue ink sells better than some of their other limited colors.

Our resident Lamy engineer I believe has stated that standard Lamy blue accounts for some ridiculous portion of total ink sales/production-80% is the number I have in my head. Of course that number may be bolstered by the fact that every single Safari, Al-Star, Studio, Dialog, etc has a blue cartridge in it, but still...

Even MB's standard line has two blue inks, or really three if you count Midnight Blue(and the current version is definitely more blue leaning than the pre-2013 version).

I suppose blue is always a "safe" color. I do like interesting blues, and I'd most of them(outside of say bright teals) are "business appropriate" and great general purpose inks. I've found a lot of the MB LE blues, although I don't have a lot of them, to have a lot of depth so to speak especially in terms of some of the shading you will get. When I bought the Blue for BMW, for example, I wasn't sure what I was getting since some online swabs made it look more of a teal(along the lines what Waterman use to call South Seas Blue, or whatever the heck they call it now, or Edelstein Topaz) while some others showed it as a bright and eye catching but more of a true blue. After writing with it, and it will be my main daily ink until my current fill runs out, I can say it's both-some papers bring out the teal, and some show nice blue to teal shading.

I wish MB would broaden out a bit, and in particular I'd love to see some more variety of LE greens(Emerald I feel like is just a slightly darker/bluer and more saturated Irish Green), but I can understand the blue appeal. They really do make some nice blues also.

I have a very tiny version from a museum in Vienna and yes, Egyptian blue is lovely

Sorry i haven't posted pictures but my camera takes pictures too large for uploading here and I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

1 hour ago, Uncial said:

I have a very tiny version from a museum in Vienna and yes, Egyptian blue is lovely

Sorry i haven't posted pictures but my camera takes pictures too large for uploading here and I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Are you using windows or ios?