Do You Agree With This Statement: People Always Love Their First Gold Nib Better Than Other Pens That Work Better

collectorofmanythings

26 minutes ago, Mr Bill said:

Yes, my 14ct Scheaffer's Targa that I purchased back in the 80's

is a keeper. I would sell all others before parting with it.

After all these years, it is still writing as intended. Cheers.

I feel the same way about my first gold nib. So surprised that many others didn’t! Maybe myself, you, Teterman2005, Brian Goulet, and Kerry from Pens and Tea were all super lucky with our first gold nibs. Thank you for your response.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• collectorofmanythings

• mizgeorge

• Teterman2005

I can't even remember what my first gold nib was.  I have a good selection of gold and steel nibs.  I have gold nibs that write well.  I also have steel nibs that write well.  On balance I'd say that in my 'collection', the steel nibs probably have the edge.  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

1 hour ago, collectorofmanythings said:

I feel the same way about my first gold nib. So surprised that many others didn’t! Maybe myself, you, Teterman2005, Brian Goulet, and Kerry from Pens and Tea were all super lucky with our first gold nibs. Thank you for your response.

You say yourself that you're very young. The acquisition of your first gold nib is still perhaps a relatively recent experience, so will be more meaningful.

Once you've got a bit more mileage on the clock, and that first gold nib is fifty plus years old, and you've been through dozens since, it will all seem very different. If you stay with pens, you'll still probably still be looking for the next one as well.

On a slightly off topic note, I suspect you're also a bit unused to how more traditional forums (as opposed to more fashionable forms of social media) work.  You don't need to reply individually to every comment. Actually, you don't need to reply to any of them, but if you feel the need, please use the multiquote options, it's easier for everyone to read and keeps thread continuity running far better. 

It might also be worth remembering that us old folks are pretty unimpressed by the dropping of 'influencer' names. Some of us have never heard of them, none of us care, and just a few actually are those names...

56 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

You say yourself that you're very young. The acquisition of your first gold nib is still perhaps a relatively recent experience, so will be more meaningful.

Once you've got a bit more mileage on the clock, and that first gold nib is fifty plus years old, and you've been through dozens since, it will all seem very different. If you stay with pens, you'll still probably still be looking for the next one as well.

On a slightly off topic note, I suspect you're also a bit unused to how more traditional forums (as opposed to more fashionable forms of social media) work.  You don't need to reply individually to every comment. Actually, you don't need to reply to any of them, but if you feel the need, please use the multiquote options, it's easier for everyone to read and keeps thread continuity running far better. 

It might also be worth remembering that us old folks are pretty unimpressed by the dropping of 'influencer' names. Some of us have never heard of them, none of us care, and just a few actually are those names...

Well thank you for that advice. I actually don’t use any sort of modern social media, and this forum is really the only sort of thing I use the internet for (besides Ancestry.com). In my mind, if someone took the time to post they deserve a response, but if it makes it easier to read I won’t do that anymore. From this post, it seems like you think I like a lot of “trendy” stuff. I do not. I collect coins, fine china, and fountain pens, make tatted lace, write and publish books about the history of the U.K., and do a lot of other stuff that isn’t “trendy”. And the “influencers” are great for bringing younger people into the hobby, which is necessary to keep the hobby alive. There is a reason a lot of people don’t tat lace anymore, and that is because most everyone who used to is no longer living. I’m not saying that older generations aren’t important to hobbies, because they are, more so than younger generations even, I’m just saying that it is important to bring younger generations into the hobby. Per your request, I will no longer respond to individual posts often. Again, thank you so much for your response and I really appreciate the advice. Have a good day!

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Good grief. Give it rest!! 🤬

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

11 minutes ago, Estycollector said:

Good grief. Give it rest!! 🤬

Give what a rest? 

I seem to have made you cross and have no idea why. 

Hmm for me it’s actually “yes, sort of.”

I already knew what kind of pens I was going to like bc of years dabbling in pencils and non-fountain pens, so I went straight for the Pilot 912 PO. It remains one of my favourite pens today— BUT I equally love my Pelikan that came after (fitted with a vintage Pelikan nib). For me they suit two different purposes, which is writing vs drawing, respectively.

No. People always love most their first pen that writes well. Nothing about gold nib to it. I still love my Parker 45 from 1960, after writing with scratchy Sheaffer School Pens for two or three years before. It happens that the P-45 had a medium gold nib and the Sheaffers had steel nibs, but that had nothing to do with anything.

I write with two alternating Parker 51s now, but I have assembled a duplicate P-45...midnight blue, brushed steel cap, medium gold nib, and original squeeze converter. Come to think of it, I would recommend a Parker 45 as anyone's first pen. Inexpensive, unless the seller has delusions of grandeur ("this pen is more than ten years old and so it is vintage and so it is just like a Vacumatic"). Every part can be swapped with a part from another P-45. Any cartridge or converter from Parker can fit. The first "user service-able" fountain pen. Nibs unscrew, and most sell for about $15 each.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I'm kinda with aimi on this one. 

My first gold nibbed pen was a Parker 45 I found in an a small antiques shop outside Coudersport, PA.  And it was REALLY nice.  Very smooth -- like dancing on ice with the right ink and paper.  Better than someone's MB 146 in fact (although that could have been that the 45 had a medium nib and the 149 had a fine nib).  

But is it my "best" nib?  Or even my best 14K nib?  Probably not -- just very, very good....

Hmmm.  I should put that pen back into rotation....  Thanks for reminding me about it!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Mine was a vintage E Faber that I restored. Nice,  but nothing to write home about using an Autopoint pencil. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

IMO the Cell Phone or the Handy as it's is called in Germany has killed many hobbies...............some folks have no time, with 200 friends they have never met taking up their time.....and last year's cell phone is so passe. $$$$ every year.

A million apts. Abs what ever.....I'm handy free, my wife just retired and isn't any more.:unsure:

The youth has no money left to go to the flea market anymore. :doh: How can I get rid of all that old junk I collected?????

Doctors are warning of the coming neck problems of the youth......well we didn't listen to the old fogies, about loud music....Eh? What? The mumbling youth of today.:angry:

Looks like I read less when walking than I thought:rolleyes: my neck's fine

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Nope — I don’t even remember my first gold nib. I do notice my gold nibs are softer than my steel nibs so I get a little more flex out of them, which I like.  But I tend to value pens more for overall feel, performance, and design regardless of nib material. 

2 hours ago, Turquoise88 said:

my gold nibs are softer than my steel nibs

A nail is a nail be it gold or steel, so you must have a semi-nail gold nibs, which is softer than a nail, be it steel or gold.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Might be late to the topic, but, no, I do not prefer my first gold-nib pen over better writers.  I was given a Montblanc Meisterstuck 144, and I have always found it too wet for my taste; if it didn't have sentimental value, I probably would have sold it by now.  My steel-nib Sonnet, Safari (since upgraded to a 14k), and Parker Falcon all get more love, and the latter two I got after the Montblanc.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

What ink are you using?

Pelikan 4001 is the driest ink. MB IMO is sort of in the middle.

Type of paper makes a difference also, slick paper should  I think make for a dryer line.

5 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

IMO the Cell Phone or the Handy as it's is called in Germany has killed many hobbies...............some folks have no time, with 200 friends they have never met taking up their time.....and last year's cell phone is so passe. $$$$ every year.

A million apts. Abs what ever.....I'm handy free, my wife just retired and isn't any more.:unsure:

The youth has no money left to go to the flea market anymore. :doh: How can I get rid of all that old junk I collected?????

Doctors are warning of the coming neck problems of the youth......well we didn't listen to the old fogies, about loud music....Eh? What? The mumbling youth of today.:angry:

Looks like I read less when walking than I thought:rolleyes: my neck's fine

As I said before, I am not like many kids my age. I typically go on FPN from my computer. The only thing I use my phone for, for the most part, is email, text messaging, and, of course, the phone. 

And I love the flea market! Of course I am not leaving the house much due to the pandemic now, but the flea market is great. 👍🏻

Thank you for your response!

12 hours ago, collectorofmanythings said:

If you are looking for a nib with pencil-like feedback, have you tried a Sailor? If you like bouncy nibs, maybe try one of their 21k gold nibs.

I personally love all of my Sailors. Thank you for your response!

I have to admit that Sailors have never interested me that much. I owe it to myself to try one, but I'm not itching to try it. I've been told the 21K nibs tend toward stiff, although obviously can't say as I haven't handled one first hand. That's getting into the range where gold is soft enough that I imagine the thickness, tempering, and "other stuff" in the alloy have to make up for it. A lot of the good nib guys seem to think 14K is ideal for flex.

In any case, I've found the feedback I like in several MB nibs among others. As I said, my 14 is as perfect as I could imagine.

As another comment, one of my favorite "not gold" nibs is the Pd-Ag nib used on some Snorkels. These were less expensive than the 14K nibs on those pens, but the ones I have are fantastic writers.

Well, I can't speak for other people but I personally didn't experience this with my first gold-nib pen, a green stripe M300. I don't particularly notice any difference at all between gold and steel nibs, to be honest. As long as it doesn't feel like I'm dragging an emery board across the paper, which I've experienced on both gold and steel, I'm satisfied.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

21 K sailor nib has a rep for being mushy, not springy.

If it serves to anything, this is the opinion of a "barbarian":

Me, I would have to go over my pens (and I don't have that many) to find out which one was my first gold nibbed one (or even which are gold nibbed). So, no, I do not feel any special attachment.

I might have fond memories of my first pens... if I conserved any of them. Sadly they didn't stand a chance with the abuse I submitted them to. I remember I had a number of low quality pens, cheap but scratchy, that I hated, and a number of Parkers whose model can't remember because I didn't thought the model was anything to remember back then. The brand yes, to avoid bad ones and go for the ones that worked. I seem to remember two or three Parkers. Maybe one Sheaffer. But really never paid much attention. I would just buy what was available and I could pay. Branding was secondary. As a student they were all steel nibs. Not that I thought much about that either.

There's an ultra-ultraslim pen with a metal body and cap that stood for 20 years, but has no marks and I am unsure what it is, at a pen show I was suggested it may be a Sailor Chalana, but I wouldn't swear on it.

What I still love and praise is the all-metal MB that has stood me for 30 years. I would have to go look to see if its nib is gold or steel. It's got a golden tone nib, but no 585 mark. That much did I care.

For me, it's always been about writing and standing my (absent-minded / careless) way of life. But I come from the old times of blissful ignorance about FPs.

As for answering all posts, IMMHO, by all means, if it makes you more comfortable, do not hesitate to do so. I think the message was not that you shouldn't, but that there is no need to feel obliged. Certainly, posting to say only "thank you" is bound to raise an eyebrow or two (like the "me too" or "+1" posts), but it is OK as well. Though unnecessary.

After all, most messages in this thread are ellaborate "+1" or "-1" ones.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.