Japanese ED Restoration Notes

siamackz

Having fixed about half a dozen of these recently I thought it might be useful to put together some notes sharing how I did it. I just learned that Richard Binder recently put up a tutorial on restoring these pens - it’s a fantastic resource, as always. Anyway, for whatever it’s worth - here are my notes...

13907429-44A2-409A-908D-BD36E0D80459.jpeg

3A7CA4EB-02CD-4D33-8A02-869C31991378.jpeg

D41EDFF7-F29C-453D-8265-135B8E98843A.jpeg

3C948B3F-2B63-418F-88B7-73858F6C291C.jpeg

2976BA81-51F2-4867-8E24-C8196E11C115.jpeg

2B95E584-58FF-428E-A2A1-AEF71ADAD97E.jpeg

6542A1A2-AE7D-4C9F-86B1-9C3D823BD06B.jpeg

C05F84FE-EAF9-4305-B08F-1DECDCF38896.jpeg

FD53781F-CE6D-4617-9B8B-B5EA140C4F4E.jpeg

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• GlenV

• tmenyc

• LukeSkyliner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks challenging but such pretty pens especially the gold nib earlier ones. I have 2 but will not restore they came to me from a scuba diver found them 40 years after WW2, one is good enough still to restore surprisingly although the coating shows some changes for the years of salt water.

Regards, Glen

Siamack,

Great work, and presentation! I've saved the link for future reference.

One thought: I don't know if you're using a lathe in your work, but I'd recommend getting a set of ER collets for workholding instead of using a threaded holder like the Vac wrench. It's more stable, the compression is fully circumferential,it holds a barrel safely and firmly, and doesn't imprint threads into softer material or damage the Vac wrench. A fully useable set can be purchased at relatively low cost (like this ), and you'll need a collet chuck and wrench for it (like this ). You can probably find a set with all of that included, These are not the best money could buy, but for soft materials at the level of precision we need, they're fine. I had my collets like these for a full year while someone here badgered me to go get the lathe, and even now they are frequently used tools at the bench. You might even want to splurge for a square collet block to hold the chuck in your vise...

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

4 hours ago, GlenV said:

That looks challenging but such pretty pens especially the gold nib earlier ones. I have 2 but will not restore they came to me from a scuba diver found them 40 years after WW2, one is good enough still to restore surprisingly although the coating shows some changes for the years of salt water.

Very nice! 

3 hours ago, tmenyc said:

Siamack,

Great work, and presentation! I've saved the link for future reference.

One thought: I don't know if you're using a lathe in your work, but I'd recommend getting a set of ER collets for workholding instead of using a threaded holder like the Vac wrench. It's more stable, the compression is fully circumferential,it holds a barrel safely and firmly, and doesn't imprint threads into softer material or damage the Vac wrench. A fully useable set can be purchased at relatively low cost (like this ), and you'll need a collet chuck and wrench for it (like this ). You can probably find a set with all of that included, These are not the best money could buy, but for soft materials at the level of precision we need, they're fine. I had my collets like these for a full year while someone here badgered me to go get the lathe, and even now they are frequently used tools at the bench. You might even want to splurge for a square collet block to hold the chuck in your vise...

Tim

Great advice Tim, I’ve been wanting to get a set to use for swaging cap rings anyway. I don’t have a lathe - it’s been on my wish list for 2 yrs now. I’m getting closer and closer though :) 

3 hours ago, LukeSkyliner said:

This is may be very helpful with my Onotae.  Thanks - and GREAT presentation.

Thanks! 

On 4/14/2021 at 4:00 AM, GlenV said:

Pictures of them, nice pens especially the flattop

AF0135F1-BFB8-4922-A9A3-4669B1B93C37.jpeg

868467E6-BD32-416F-BF49-A34924761935.jpeg

Nice! 

You do such brilliant work.  Question.  Can you recommend someone who might help me with a Nakaya?  The ink stops flowing. Pretty annoying given how its supposed to be the apex of pens...

thanks

On 4/15/2021 at 7:34 AM, Better to have Written said:

You do such brilliant work.  Question.  Can you recommend someone who might help me with a Nakaya?  The ink stops flowing. Pretty annoying given how its supposed to be the apex of pens...

thanks

Thank you! And about the Nakaya, I had the same issue way back when I used to collect modern pens. It’s quite sad. If you’re in the US then MainstreetPens or IndyPenDance might be options. All the best!