I just going to say it... I personally hate the look of the Lamy Safari and All TWSBIs.

collectorofmanythings

Can anyone explain to me why they like the designs so I can appreciate it more? I don’t mean to be rude or criticize people for what they like, I am just curious why you like the look of these pens. Just please reply! I really want to know what the appeal is. Thank you for your help!

W. Major

Edited by collectorofmanythings

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• collectorofmanythings

• inkstainedruth

• Bo Bo Olson

• maclink

I'm not a fan of the Safaris but like the Studio (have 2).

I like the TWSBI 580 AL/ALR's - feels good in the hand and holds a lot of ink that you can see.

Along the same lines, love the Opus 88 Omar demonstrator...tons of ink capacity and well built. Only downside is I only use it for longer writing sessions rather than notes as it takes quite a few turns to uncap.

I'm a big fan. Especially of the Safari in matt textures like the charcoal black, and most recently the Terra which is a rerelease of their first Safari. I like the simple lines, the "Bauhaus" look if you will. I like the interchangeable nibs which I have used to grind down to my own preferred size and sharpness of italic. I like the aluminum versions as well and have a bunch. I use the blue as every day work carry. 

Here's my most recent, the Terra:

Edit update: I notice the color of the pen here is redder than it is in real life. Must have been the lighting...

51105717723_2098f9ceb4_o.jpg

I think the design is more about functionality than aesthetics. Simplicity, usefulness and a rugged design.

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

4 hours ago, collectorofmanythings said:

Can anyone explain to me why they like the designs so I can appreciate it more? I don’t mean to be rude or criticize people for what they like, I am just curious why you like the look of these pens. Just please reply! I really want to know what the appeal is. Thank you for your help!

W. Major

For me the Lamy Al Star best represents the Bauhaus philosophy because it performs, is easy to grip, has a bomb proof ink to nib system, is aesthetically pleasing, is neither too big or too small, can sustain abuse, and costs $20. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Very interesting responses... I think I understand why you would like TWSBI pens and I understand why people would like the Safari. I know it is all about functionality, and the aesthetics isn’t the main priority, but I sort of understand why people would like it. If there are more people that would like to say their opinion, be sure to respond!

4 hours ago, tde44x said:

I'm not a fan of the Safaris but like the Studio (have 2).

I like the TWSBI 580 AL/ALR's - feels good in the hand and holds a lot of ink that you can see.

Along the same lines, love the Opus 88 Omar demonstrator...tons of ink capacity and well built. Only downside is I only use it for longer writing sessions rather than notes as it takes quite a few turns to uncap.

I also love the look of the Studio. Though I absolutely hate many demonstrators, for some reason I also love the OPUS 88 demonstrators. Thank you for your response!

I always found the Safari to be very ugly.
I disliked the shape of the solid-coloured shiny-plastic Safari, and I disliked the appearance of its huge, bright, 'paperclip'-shaped clip.

But I was intrigued by how very many people on FPN sang the pen's praises - so I bought myself a Vista.

I think that all the 'brightware' actually looks quite nice against the transparent plastic, and I also like that the transparency disguises the ugly shape of the grip-section.

After using my Vista for a couple of years I also bought the Safari in its 'Charcoal' (aka 'Umbra') textured matte plastic version, with the black (as opposed to bright 'silver') clip.

Somehow, the Safari's plastic body looks less 'ugly' when it has that textured matte finish than when it has a smooth and shiny finish.

I then bought the 'Dark Violet' edition of the Safari when that came out. It too has a matte texture on its body, and a black clip.
The year after that I also found that I 'had to' buy the 'Petrol' edition of the Safari - again with the textured matte plastic body, and black clip and black nib.

They really are well-designed and well-made pens.
They are reliable, and sturdy, and the clip is also reliable and sturdy. I like the ink-window, and I love the fact that LAMY has designed the converter for the Safari so that it clips in to the body of the pen. No worries about one becoming loose inside the pen. And I like the fact that their nibs are so easily interchangeable.
I can now carry a set of 'the same' pen, but with EF, F, & M nibs on my different coloured pens.
LAMY also make the same nibs in B, 1.1mm italic, 1.5mm italic, and 1.9mm italic, so one has a good range of options available.

I still don't like the look of the Safaris that have smooth, shiny plastic bodies and silver clips - except for the 2011 LE 'Aquamarine' one.
Which I am still kicking myself for NOT buying when I saw it in a store in 2012, because they cost a fortune now! 🤦‍♂️

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

1 hour ago, Estycollector said:

For me the Lamy Al Star best represents the Bauhaus philosophy because it performs, is easy to grip, has a bomb proof ink to nib system, is aesthetically pleasing, is neither too big or too small, can sustain abuse, and costs $20. 

I understand your reasoning. Thank you for your post!

3 minutes ago, Mercian said:

I always found the Safari to be very ugly.
I disliked the shape of the solid-coloured shiny-plastic Safari, and I disliked the appearance of its huge, bright, 'paperclip'-shaped clip.

But I was intrigued by how very many people on FPN sang the pen's praises - so I bought myself a Vista.

I think that all the 'brightware' actually looks quite nice against the transparent plastic, and I also like that the transparency disguises the ugly shape of the grip-section.

After using my Vista for a couple of years I also bought the Safari in its 'Charcoal' (aka 'Umbra') textured matte plastic version, with the black (as opposed to bright 'silver') clip.

Somehow, the Safari's plastic body looks less 'ugly' when it has that textured matte finish than when it has a smooth and shiny finish.

I then bought the 'Dark Violet' edition of the Safari when that came out. It too has a matte texture on its body, and a black clip.
The year after that I also found that I 'had to' buy the 'Petrol' edition of the Safari - again with the textured matte plastic body, and black clip and black nib.

They really are well-designed and well-made pens.
They are reliable, and sturdy, and the clip is also reliable and sturdy. I like the ink-window, and I love the fact that LAMY has designed the converter for the Safari so that it clips in to the body of the pen. No worries about one becoming loose inside the pen. And I like the fact that their nibs are so easily interchangeable.
I can now carry a set of 'the same' pen, but with EF, F, & M nibs on my different coloured pens.
LAMY also make the same nibs in B, 1.1mm italic, 1.5mm italic, and 1.9mm italic, so one has a good range of options available.

I still don't like the look of the Safaris that have smooth, shiny plastic bodies and silver clips - except for the 2011 LE 'Aquamarine' one.
Which I am still kicking myself for NOT buying when I saw it in a store in 2012, because they cost a fortune now! 🤦‍♂️

I completely agree that the shiny ones are super ugly. Maybe one day I’ll try one of the matte ones. Who knows? Thank you for your response!

3 hours ago, TgeekB said:

I think the design is more about functionality than aesthetics. Simplicity, usefulness and a rugged design.

I understand. Thank you for your post!

3 hours ago, HDoug said:

I'm a big fan. Especially of the Safari in matt textures like the charcoal black, and most recently the Terra which is a rerelease of their first Safari. I like the simple lines, the "Bauhaus" look if you will. I like the interchangeable nibs which I have used to grind down to my own preferred size and sharpness of italic. I like the aluminum versions as well and have a bunch. I use the blue as every day work carry. 

Here's my most recent, the Terra:

Edit update: I notice the color of the pen here is redder than it is in real life. Must have been the lighting...

51105717723_2098f9ceb4_o.jpg

To each their own, I guess! I agree that the matte ones look better. Thank you for your response!

6 hours ago, collectorofmanythings said:

W. Major

Something else just occurred to me:

If you don't like the design, then you don't like the design! Nobody can make you like it, and does it matter what they think?

By which I mean that we all have our own individual aesthetic preferences.

I, for example, like the 'clean lines' and 'understated' appearance of the Parker "51", the LAMY 2000, and the Pelikan Souverän line of pens.
Whereas I find that I dislike the more 'in your face' designs of e.g. a lot of Italian pens such as those made by Visconti.
Many other people find the "51", the 2000, and the Souveräns to be 'staid' and 'boring' and 'hideously dull', whereas they find the Viscontis etc to have 'brio' and 'flair' and to be commensurately-delightful.

And the thing is, each of us is right.

It doesn't matter one bit if everyone else in the world tries to tell you that you 'ought to' like Safaris or TWSBIs - if you don't like them, you don't like them, and you shouldn't waste any of your money on them.

(That said, I do still recommend that you try out a Safari in your hand if you can. Because you may find that their practicality 'grows on you', and there are so many different colours/finishes of them out there, that there is almost certainly one that you could 'live with'.)

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

6 minutes ago, Mercian said:

Something else just occurred to me:

If you don't like the design, then you don't like the design! Nobody can make you like it, and does it matter what they think?

By which I mean that we all have our own individual aesthetic preferences.

I, for example, like the 'clean lines' and 'understated' appearance of the Parker "51", the LAMY 2000, and the Pelikan Souverän line of pens.
Whereas I find that I dislike the more 'in your face' designs of e.g. a lot of Italian pens such as those made by Visconti.
Many other people find the "51", the 2000, and the Souveräns to be 'staid' and 'boring' and 'hideously dull', whereas they find the Viscontis etc to have 'brio' and 'flair' and to be commensurately-delightful.

And the thing is, each of us is right.

It doesn't matter one bit if everyone else in the world tries to tell you that you 'ought to' like Safaris or TWSBIs - if you don't like them, you don't like them, and you shouldn't waste any of your money on them.

(That said, I do still recommend that you try out a Safari in your hand if you can. Because you may find that their practicality 'grows on you', and there are so many different colours/finishes of them out there, that there is almost certainly one that you could 'live with'.)

I understand and know that. I just wanted to know why people liked the look of it. I personally don’t I don’t think I ever will. Same for TWSBIs. I just wanted to know why they appealed. And I agree in that I personally love the look of the Parker 51, Lamy 2000, and Pelikan Souverans, and find Viscontis ugly. Again that is my personal opinion. Nobody should have to feel bad for liking or disliking an pen. Again, I just wanted to know the hype. Thank you for being so kind though!

Again, whether you are seeing this hours, days, weeks, months, or years later, continue putting responses in! I would love to hear your opinion.

When the Lamy safari came out around 1980, I still was in high school and absolutely wanted one!  Why? Because it was so totally different from all the other boring looking pens. I got one in olive green with a black steel nib (which I still have somewhere in a drawer). It was kind of revolting against status quo. A few years later I was through with that phase, hid the pen in the back of a drawer, and got me a Lamy 25.  Taste is a function of time. I considered the safari cool for a couple of years and fairly ugly ever after. I totally acknowledge that it’s a very interesting design by the way, though it has little in common with Bauhaus in my opinion. The 2000 is Bauhaus (and so is the 25). I totally understand why people are attracted by the safari design and I understand equally well why others are appalled by it.

Love the Safari and Al-Star.  One of the best pen designs around: unique visuals, sturdy construction, an ink window, a slip on cap, a fantastic clip, and an excellent converter.  Even the packing is minimalistic and modern.

Not a traditional fountain pen design but then neither is a vanishing point.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

NM. 

We are learning about pens and we are also learning about 'taste'!

As you say nm4, "Beauty is no quality in things themselves. It exists merely in the mind that contemplates them". David Hume, 'Of the Standard of Taste'

I can not comment on matters of personal 'Taste'.

πTom

10 hours ago, OMASsimo said:

When the Lamy safari came out around 1980, I still was in high school and absolutely wanted one!  Why? Because it was so totally different from all the other boring looking pens. I got one in olive green with a black steel nib (which I still have somewhere in a drawer). It was kind of revolting against status quo. A few years later I was through with that phase, hid the pen in the back of a drawer, and got me a Lamy 25.  Taste is a function of time. I considered the safari cool for a couple of years and fairly ugly ever after. I totally acknowledge that it’s a very interesting design by the way, though it has little in common with Bauhaus in my opinion. The 2000 is Bauhaus (and so is the 25). I totally understand why people are attracted by the safari design and I understand equally well why others are appalled by it.

Very interesting... Thank you for your response!

5 hours ago, nm4 said:

Love the Safari and Al-Star.  One of the best pen designs around: unique visuals, sturdy construction, an ink window, a slip on cap, a fantastic clip, and an excellent converter.  Even the packing is minimalistic and modern.

Not a traditional fountain pen design but then neither is a vanishing point.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

NM. 

That’s fair I guess. If the design makes you happy, that great! Thank you for your response!