what is the most memorable black fp ink today?

nweissma

7 hours ago, countrysquire said:

Sailor Kiwa Guro.  It is well behaved and waterproof.  It has a matte appearance and a silvery sheen so it looks a little like the marks from a very soft graphite pencil.  Very hard to mistake it for any other ink when on the paper.

I'm trying this one right now and so far I also really like it.

If it's anything like Sei Boku, another one of Sailor's pigment inks, it should be relatively easy to clean out of pens as well which is a plus. :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• nweissma

• eciton

• BayesianPrior

19 minutes ago, aimi said:

If it's anything like Sei Boku, another one of Sailor's pigment inks, it should be relatively easy to clean out of pens as well which is a plus. :)

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it.  I use most fine or dry nibs, and I really appreciate the absence of shading with Kiwa Guro. No matter how thin or dry the line, if there is ink on the page, you'll see it.

I've always found it easy to clean, although it does leave a faint yellowish stain in my Lamy converter.  But I've dedicated a Studio to that ink so I never have to worry about cleaning it too thoroughly.  Probably wouldn't use it in a demonstrator though.

bayesianprior.png

Personally, I think this question is an oxymoron.

The only valid answer is "the one who is most remembered many years from now" for a subjective definition of "many". And that it is difficult to answer because as taste changes, so will what people remembers. It will also depend on continued availability, market evolution, discussion, passions, and a number of imponderables. It might be even the worst that is the most remembered for its exceptionality.

May be you should rephrase the question as "which is the most (exceptional/appraised/loved/expensive/eccentric/controversial/bad/whatever you think will be remembered) black ink today".

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

I haven’t tried that many, but mostly like JHerbin Perle Noire and plain old Sailor Black.  I have samples of Aurora and Heart of Darkness, haven’t gotten around to trying them yet.

On 4/12/2021 at 5:13 AM, aimi said:

You must own some inks that are an absolute nightmare if you consider Seiboku easy to clean out 😅 It's do able, and I like the ink, but it was one of the most irritating inks I've experienced cleaning out in the last year. 

13 hours ago, RJS said:

You must own some inks that are an absolute nightmare if you consider Seiboku easy to clean out 😅 It's do able, and I like the ink, but it was one of the most irritating inks I've experienced cleaning out in the last year. 

That's so interesting to hear! I was a little bit worried at first since I practiced somewhat-poor pen hygiene by keeping my pen continuously inked with Sei Boku for over 6 months straight, but then it just washed right out! I did have a hard time getting the leftover pigments out of the imprint design on the Pilot gold nib, but that nearly all came out after an ultrasonic cleansing.

Surprisingly, I'm not even sure if my converter was stained; it had previously been stained by Noodler's Liberty Elysium and didn't really change colours all that much after Sei Boku so I figured it was probably just Noodler's.

@Ron Z @alexwi Aurora Black is indeed an authoritative black.

i will turn 67 next month and i remember the Sheaffer Skrip matté black ink cartridges that came packaged with the Sheaffer School Pens. that was a memorable 3-dimensional matté black ink! but the Government no longer allows it.

On 4/11/2021 at 11:00 PM, countrysquire said:

Sailor Kiwa Guro.  It is well behaved and waterproof.  It has a matte appearance and a silvery sheen so it looks a little like the marks from a very soft graphite pencil.  Very hard to mistake it for any other ink when on the paper.

I wouldn’t call kiwaguro waterproof, but other than that... wow. Just wow. A unique ink.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 1:30 AM, Karmachanic said:

My understanding is that Kuretake Black is a dip ink, but difficult to obtain Kuretake Ryuno Black, which comes in a faceted glass bottle, is a fountain pen ink.

It is a fountain pen ink, it is even written on the label (on the back side).

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/mita-club/kuretake-mksi-yoyaku/

Ryuunou = dragon's brain

Is there any advantage over Takesumi? I can get Takesumi for a third of this ink.

There are several kind of blacks available under that link - mixtures I guess.

Kuretake Black is easy to obtain at Amazon Japan. How about 1.8L? 🥰

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Kuretake-Shoji-Pure-Black-16-9/dp/B002VTJZ7C/

On 4/9/2021 at 4:53 AM, nweissma said:

what is the most memorable black fp ink available today? the blackest of the black; the one that you can't draw your eyes from.

Those are three different questions.

I personally adore stealthy inks that look black until you wash them 

Bungbox Ink of the Witch

Private Reserve Ebony Purple

If I use black, I want it to be beyone black.

Noodler's Heart of Darkness

Private Reserve - I think it is  Ultra Black - it even came in cartridges.

Finally, I can't draw my eyes away from:

J Herbin Stormy Gray which is not really black, but the gold particles with the cool gray make this ink appealing. 

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

14 hours ago, nweissma said:

the ink manufacturer wants to make the sale: he's counting his money while you incur a costly repair to your clogged pen. keep me posted 🤪🤑

I'm curious.

Do you have any reason to back this affirmation?

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Pigmented inks are a bit of problem with printers - because of the nozzles which are much smaller than the feed of a fountain pen.

10 micrometers (print head nozzle) vs several hundreds of micrometers of spaces in a feed

The fluid particles agglomerates in the inks are about 0.5 micrometers. If they deposit, they become the clogging sites.

I guess in a regularly washed FP, you will not experience problems.

• 2 years later...

This post is for clarification in case someone comes across this older thread.

Ryuno Black, mentioned above, is a dye ink made by Kurutake exclusively for Mitasanshudo.  It smells like traditional sumi

I'm happy with this as my blackest black.

Add lightness and simplicate.

• 3 weeks later...

For Cheap, I find Pelikan 4001 to be more than quite adequate. I have never gotten around to getting Aurora...thought about it a couple times, just to say I have some....but the bottle of 4001 brilliant Black, I bought 15 years ago, is still half full.:yikes:

Black is not where I need go, in I'm retired. :P

Before Noodlers, 4001 was rated as second to Aurora....which has doubled in price. To up around €10 or so. Pelikan is still near €6.00 + or -.

I've glanced at at posts where there may be 3-4 Noodlers darker than Aurora.

I read there are 'shading' blacks!!!:o...that's not near the black hole ink that is wished.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

On 4/15/2021 at 12:25 AM, wallylynn said:

I think the most memorable black ink is Registrar's ink. Because the ink is blue.

😉

+1

Absolutely, because it is blue, turns black and fits perfectly to my vintage Swan pens. No matter if it is Diamine Registrar's, Akkermann #10 or ESSRI or Thom's Blaufließende...

Great to have such inks still around.

Jens