• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stan

• Nurmister

• sketchstack

• A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

"sterling silver"

It could mean that they put a thin silver tube over a steel base. Even the thinnest tube qualifies for the 925 stamp.

It would be nice to know how much silver they actually used. A good example: Waldmann reported for their anniversary pen: 66g silver of a total weight of 82g.

http://mkepens.blogspot.com/2018/02/waldmann-100th-anniversary-pen-limited.html

Should someone be interested in acquiring the pen it would be a good question to ask sellers. Whether it is a silver shell or solid silver should be determinable when viewing the open ends of the barrel or cap or inside of the barrel and cap.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Over the past few years, Sailor has taken a rather stark approach: release a huge number of limited editions every year to retain buyer interest in the brand. 

I understand why they would want to do so, and their strategy appears to be quite successful given, for example, how well-received they are on image-based social media like Reddit's r/fountainpens, but I'm not really a big fan of this approach. Limited editions distinguishable by just the kind of plastic used don't say anything about Sailor's penmaking, which is admirable for itself.

However, and unfortunately, this commercial focus has also been associated with them stopping their special-production (and likely lower-margin) nib lines like the King Eagle. This may partly be influenced by certain penmaker retirements in the company, but it does signal their broad strategy.

Ultimately, though, I do appreciate that Sailor helps bring in people to the hobby with their "shiny colors" approach, since that should cross-pollinate to other more niche brands.

In contrast to all of this, this pen itself represents an incredibly Japanese approach to limited editions: release something high-end and niche to commemorate an anniversary, instead of something mass-market. Pilot did the same for its 100th anniversary with its Namiki line, along with Platinum with its platinum-nibbed pen. It seems Japanese companies see anniversaries to show off their best rather than just profiteer, which is quite charming.

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

6 hours ago, Nurmister said:

In contrast to all of this, this pen itself represents an incredibly Japanese approach to limited editions: release something high-end and niche to commemorate an anniversary, instead of something mass-market. Pilot did the same for its 100th anniversary with its Namiki line, along with Platinum with its platinum-nibbed pen. It seems Japanese companies see anniversaries to show off their best rather than just profiteer, which is quite charming.

Not sold outside Japan and with limited domestic marketing, Platinum produced a 100th Anniversary LE 3776. It comes with a 100th anniversary nib and in Chartres Blue. Haven't seem it in other colors or with MUSIC nib yet.

It fascinates me that LE/SEs by Platinum seem to write better than regular issue models. Wonder if they are in any way different.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

30 minutes ago, stan said:

Not sold outside Japan and with limited domestic marketing, Platinum produced a 100th Anniversary LE 3776. It comes with a 100th anniversary nib and in Chartres Blue. Haven't seem it in other colors or with MUSIC nib yet.

It fascinates me that LE/SEs by Platinum seem to write better than regular issue models. Wonder if they are in any way different.

The nib architecture always seems to be the same: perhaps there's (more) hand-finishing from the factory>

And as for the Chartres Blue 3776 100th anniv.: where?! I've never heard of it, but was in tune for all their releases!

Here's a link to one for sale on Yahoo Japan. No mention on the box or anywhere else this is a 100th Anniversary pen.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r481117207

With regard to nib 'architecture' (assume you mean shape and design), I have this model in my collection with a FINE nib. Briefly writing with this pen (I collect and not use most of my SE/LEs) it seems much smoother with better flow than most FINE Platinum nibs I have tried. My strong preference is MEDIUM nibs on Platinum pens so some bias exists. I've long theorized different nibs are used on certain models of pens. Have never dissected one, weighed the nib, checked the thicknesses and sizes with micrometer, etc. However, there is a strong objective and subjective feel some are better.

The three 3776 Anniversary pens I have seen for sale all were Chartres models and all had FINE nibs.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

51 minutes ago, stan said:

Here's a link to one for sale on Yahoo Japan. No mention on the box or anywhere else this is a 100th Anniversary pen.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r481117207

With regard to nib 'architecture' (assume you mean shape and design), I have this model in my collection with a FINE nib. Briefly writing with this pen (I collect and not use most of my SE/LEs) it seems much smoother with better flow than most FINE Platinum nibs I have tried. My strong preference is MEDIUM nibs on Platinum pens so some bias exists. I've long theorized different nibs are used on certain models of pens. Have never dissected one, weighed the nib, checked the thicknesses and sizes with micrometer, etc. However, there is a strong objective and subjective feel some are better.

The three 3776 Anniversary pens I have seen for sale all were Chartres models and all had FINE nibs.

Thank you so much for the link, I've some thinking to do now.  Then nib shape and design does look the same on this one. What a strange pen...

How does this compare to your Platinum medium nibs?

On 4/10/2021 at 9:06 AM, Linger said:

I am not very impressed by this anniversary design.

I'm not either.  For an "anniversary" pen it's pretty boring and generic looking, and doesn't warrant the pricetag.  Even if it was completely sterling silver.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

2 hours ago, Nurmister said:

Thank you so much for the link, I've some thinking to do now.  Then nib shape and design does look the same on this one. What a strange pen...

How does this compare to your Platinum medium nibs?

Hard to say as I have not used it much. I tend to write with pressure on the paper and if pen is used at the wrong angle tends to scratch the paper. Depends on paper too. Tried the pen on several types of paper. Cheap xerox paper is bad. MEDIUM is much more forgiving. That said, when I decrease writing pressure the pen flows along the paper.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

On 4/11/2021 at 8:16 AM, inkstainedruth said:

I'm not either.  For an "anniversary" pen it's pretty boring and generic looking, and doesn't warrant the pricetag.  Even if it was completely sterling silver.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

My initial thought was simply that it seems outside of their typical design language. Maybe I'm too new to the hobby but I don't know of any other Sailor pens that look anything close to these designs. In that sense they are very radical and as such, polarizing. 

• 3 months later...

I wrote with one last week.  I was favorably impressed.  It does not post but is long enought to fit comfortably in my hand and the ballance is very nice despite its weight.  The nib was typical Sailor:  superb.  I saw only the silver model.  As some have said, the design is very different but the overall look, feel and writing was very nice.  I’m hoping somoene puts up an actual review and demonstration. 

I'm not a fan of large step downs from barrel to section.  The price is certainly OK considering the prices of their regular stock, i.e., the KOP series.  The KOP series seems to do very well indeed considering the numerous colours and LE's available.  Many therefore feel it's value for their money, so this LE Anniversary Ed should sell quite quickly, I think.