Please recommend 8.5x11 FP friendly, bright white, loose sheets

pelikandrew

A few years ago I bought some HP premium printer paper from Staples, based on a recommendation here on the forum. I ran out of it, and unfortunately I don't have the name of the product. I do recall it was HP Premium of some sort, bright white, and was probably 28 or 32 lb weight.

I'm sure that by now the recipe has changed or the paper may not even be available, but I'm looking for a replacement.

Thinking my previous paper was 24 lb, I just bought a ream of the current "HP Premium24" (item 112400), and tested it against a scrap of my previous paper, but it's not as heavy and the ink seems to be absorbed more. Feathering isn't too bad but the lines are darker.

Ideally I'd like to find:

- 8.5 x 11

- bright white

- loose sheets in ream

- 28 to 32 lb (105-120 gsm)

- fountain pen friendly (doesn't feather, not too absorbant)

- coated? semi coated? uncoated?

...or something close. Any recommendations? I'd order the Premium32 but I'm concerned it might just be heavier and still have the same absorbancy.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TitoThePencilPimp

• LizEF

• pelikandrew

• tde44x

1 hour ago, pelikandrew said:

Thinking my previous paper was 24 lb, I just bought a ream of the current "HP Premium24" (item 112400), and tested it against a scrap of my previous paper, but it's not as heavy and the ink seems to be absorbed more. Feathering isn't too bad but the lines are darker.

HP Premium comes (and came) in 24, 28, and 32lb.  They all used to be exclusively LaserJet paper.  At some point, they changed the 24lb to be for laser and inkjet printers.  Inkjet paper is the opposite of good fountain pen paper, so that would explain why it didn't work well for you.  (The 28 and 32lb still say they're optimized for laser printers / copiers.)

Further, there have been reports that since the 32lb paper went to 100 "brightness", it hasn't been very good for FPs.  (The 28lb has also gone to 100 brightness and one might deduce that it's also not as good as it was.)  I haven't personally tested this because I still have some of the pre-change 24lb that works great for my needs.

The only other thing I can add is that it appears that papers which are made exclusively for laser printers (not inkjet, not multipurpose, or multi-function) are most suited for FP use, and heavier weights also seem more suitable.  I've heard one-off reports of people liking Target's in-house brand (Up & Up, I think) and Hammermill, but again, I haven't confirmed that myself, so do some research before deciding to try them.

I use the HP 32 Premium for scratch work (Math Proofs). I mainly use ef to m nibs, with the occasional Sailor Zoom nib (21k) at the angle which gives largest line width. No issues. Except for two inks behaving with a bit of feathering. It was purchased from Amazon 4 months ago, and I have one ream left. For the price, its performance cannot be beat.

You can maybe try A4 Kakuyo. Not sure of the exact dimensions. I am too lazy to look it up. The last time I purchased them, it was about $15 for 400 or 500 sheets.

• 2 weeks later...

If you aren't worried about price, Strathmore, Crane, and Neenah all have offerings on Amazon that fit these criteria. If you're looking for something archival, Permadur or the like, from Talas or University products supposedly have 300 year lifespans. Message me if you want more info. I am a big fan of Crane's Crest!

Many moons ago there were a number of recommendations for Double-A paper and I picked some up. I've been very happy with it -- requires a LOT of ink before it bleeds through and was lightweight and inexpensive. I don't know if it's retained the good qualities as I bought a lot and still use it so haven't sampled any new batches in a long time. QC tends to change on this type of product.

There never was a body that give the undertaker a tip.

I just purchased a ream of the HP Premium 32 off Amazon last week.  In keeping with other opinions in this thread on the HP 32, I am reasonably pleased with it.  I do find the paper a little too thicker, however, I like the smoothness of the writing experience it provides.