Ink Recommendations for OMAS

rookie85

Hi All,

I just purchased a '92 Omas Extra in Saft Green. I would like to preserve this pen as long as possible so would like to know what inks people have found work well and do not strain the pen. My first inclination was Waterman Blue but I think I need something a bit more lubricated.  Has anyone had issues with Monteverde inks in their OMAS pens? Any feedback would be appreciated. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rookie85

• OMASsimo

• gyasko

• fabri00

I have used for something like 30 years in my Omas pens inks like Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer and Mont Blanc, without any issue, also in vintage pens.

....This also because at that time those werw the inks available in my country....

Obviously more recently I also used other inks and I did not had any particular problem.

Just try to skyp the more agressive inks like IG or some specific ink reputated difficult for pens.

What’s wrong with Waterman inks? I think they are some of the most reliable and well-behaved inks on the market and they work perfectly well in all of my OMAS pens. My OMAS nibs work fine with just about any ink I have on the shelf, mostly Diamine, Waterman, Pelikan, OMAS.

Monteverde Horizon is a lovely colour blue, however my bottle has turned fowl, rotten eggs stink, I could not really recommend it, I've heard quite a lot of other Monteverde users finding similar issues. The problem also is that the ink turns bad after some time so you may use it once and next time it's turned bad in the bottle.

Waterman and Pelikan are good, also their Edelstein, Montblanc, Aurora, Visconti, Diamine, J.Herbin. Lot's of good inks around.

What size is the nib?, Omas pens have usually generous flow (piston filler + ebonite feed) unless the nib is very fine, I doubt you would need a highly lubricated ink.

Ah ok. I see. Thank you. I've never used Monteverde before. I think I may just stick with Waterman to preserve the pen. 

In the past, I used OMAS, Diamine, Montblanc and Pelikan Edelstein inks, with no problems at all.

In the last times, I have mostly used Graf von Faber Castell inks in my OMAS pens made with celluloid. They behave very well, and the wet nibs of my OMAS are a bit more under control. 

2 hours ago, rookie85 said:

Ah ok. I see. Thank you. I've never used Monteverde before. I think I may just stick with Waterman to preserve the pen. 

If your concern is mostly about the safety of your pen, you’re also good with Diamine. These inks (maybe except the registrar’s) have an excellent reputation as being safe for vintage pens. I think that Waterman inks are excellent but the colour range is a bit limited.

@OMASsimo That is good to know! I don't have much experience with Diamine but have a bottle of Akkerman SBRE Brown coming which I understand is rebottled Diamine. This color would fit perfectly with the Saft Green celluloid.

I think Akkerman is a Dutch department store company that sells rebranded products. So, you might be right. I don’t know how easily available Diamine is in the States but they’re certainly worth checking out. They make nothing else but inks since 1864, so, I think they must be doing something right.🙂 Their range of inks is huge and their properties and behaviour aren’t always the same. Check out the ink sub-forums to find info about any of their inks before buying.

I've owned a variety of OMAS celluloid over the last 15-16 years and have had good results with the standard Pelikan, J. Herbin, and Diamine inks in all of them.    My OMAS extra lucens is almost 90 years old and still going strong, plus the LVMH era pens as well.   I'd recommend staying away from the heavily tinted inks like Noodlers, etc.... they can stain celluloid, although I've never personally seen any examples of issues with the Saft Green color (mostly just with the Royale Blue, Arlecchino Harlequin, and Wild celluloids, but even then it's kind of hit or miss depending on the batch)

• 4 weeks later...

have been using standard diamine and j herbin in mine - no issues.