EFNIR: Organics Studio Walt Whitman Leaves of Grass Dark Green

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Organics Studio Walt Whitman Leaves of Grass Dark Green

This is review #91 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Sorry, the color doesn't come through very well in the still images, but the zoom isn't too far off, but the color is greener even than what the zoom shows.  Cleaning was fairly quick and easy.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.OrganicsStudioWaltWhitman.jpg.b3d6e6afd787baecdd32f3c3e7618ae8.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:

large.OrganicsStudioWaltWhitmanS.jpg.875b2a8c5bc10f892ac5483ffbf20592.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.OrganicsStudioWaltWhitmanZ.jpg.05b728cd25e8e05b3a8074e9e0074746.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):

large.OrganicsStudioWaltWhitmanAP.jpg.325a890edefab2dfc4eb890249c2159c.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Robert Oster Midnight Sapphire.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• TSherbs

• yazeh

• mizgeorge

Some one really likes their murky greens ;) Do you have a favourite? 

Interesting sound track..... I feel trapped in the sphinx :D

So Marsell was Quintus and Qunitus was supposed to be Sextus. Glad Quintus didn't become Sextus, otherwise Makhabesh would have a field name with his shortened name..... 🤣

Thank you Liz (as always!) Great review - I like the new drying time format - seems more accurate?

I like this one - but I don't think I can get it here. It's certainly going on the list of inks to look out for - there can never be too many murky greens for me :)

33 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Some one really likes their murky greens ;) Do you have a favourite?

:D Yeah, someone here gifted me a sample of MB Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green and I discovered I loved it far too much and went on a hunt for its match.  Eventually, I gave up and just embraced murky greens.  Then discovered OS Walt Whitman and decided it was close enough to let go of the wish for a closer match.  My favorite right now is Diamine Salamander.  May stay that way, who knows.

36 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Interesting sound track..... I feel trapped in the sphinx :D

:lol:

36 minutes ago, yazeh said:

So Marsell was Quintus and Qunitus was supposed to be Sextus. Glad Quintus didn't become Sextus, otherwise Makhabesh would have a field name with his shortened name..... 🤣

:lticaptd:

Thanks again!  I had a sample of the Whitman, and my bottle of MB Seaweed.   The color is very, very similar, but I think the MB goes a little dry by contrast.  Both nice murky greens!  

....I might also have a vial of Maiko...l

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

32 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Thank you Liz (as always!) Great review - I like the new drying time format - seems more accurate?

You're welcome!  Thank you!  Yes, I should have done this from the start.  The old way would result in smears where the lines for writing numbers overlapped (e.g. I always overlap at the top of the 8), and it would take longer to write a 2-digit number than a 1-digit, and sometimes I'd screw them up.  This is far better.  I'll be sticking to it.

34 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

I like this one - but I don't think I can get it here. It's certainly going on the list of inks to look out for - there can never be too many murky greens for me

Preach! Amen! :D Do love my murky greens.  Hopefully you'll find a source.  OS is basically a one-man-show, so quantities and availability goes up and down.  As I understand it, the maker (Tyler, if I remember right) and his wife have a newborn, so supply is low right now. :)  But from my observations, supply will return.

2 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks again!  I had a sample of the Whitman, and my bottle of MB Seaweed.   The color is very, very similar, but I think the MB goes a little dry by contrast.  Both nice murky greens!  

....I might also have a vial of Maiko...l

You're welcome!  :D Neither the MB (as I remember, mine is all gone) nor the OS is super wet, and both seem to benefit from a wet nib.

Maiko, on the other hand, will do well everywhere.  Enjoy it, if you do indeed have that vial.

This OS is one of my favorite inks. OS stopped making inks for a while, so I stopped using my bottle cuz I was afraid to use it up. But now these inks are back, and so I have been using it again, and contrary to early rumors, my bottle has never developed any mold (after 6 years?)

12 minutes ago, TSherbs said:

This OS is one of my favorite inks. OS stopped making inks for a while, so I stopped using my bottle cuz I was afraid to use it up. But now these inks are back, and so I have been using it again, and contrary to early rumors, my bottle has never developed any mold (after 6 years?)

:thumbup: Glad to hear your bottle is mold-free!  Those early rumors make me check my bottle carefully whenever I open it, but no growth or sulfur smell so far, and it's been years.  And yes, my bottle was hard to find, but it turns out you just need to wait long enough and it will return. :)

I know you like your Prera EF nib, but I prefer this ink in larger nibs. I find it too dry in fine nibs, except for the wettest ones. I like its mix of dusky green, away from the piney green(blue) stuff and more toward the grey.

7 minutes ago, TSherbs said:

I know you like your Prera EF nib, but I prefer this ink in larger nibs. I find it too dry in fine nibs, except for the wettest ones. I like its mix of dusky green, away from the piney green(blue) stuff and more toward the grey.

Actually, I prefer Japanese and western fine nibs.  I'm just doing this EF business to fill a gap that I wish had been filled back when I was using these Japanese EF nibs. :)  I'm getting old.  My eyes aren't liking these skinny lines as much. :lol:

It's interesting you bring up dryness - when I used it in my TWSBI Eco EF, it seemed too dry and I decided I wasn't going to use it in that pen again.  But in this EF, it's fine.  One difference is that, because it had been so long, after checking the bottle for growth, I shook it up.  So if you've never tried shaking your bottle, perhaps do so and it will behave better in a dry nib.  (Or maybe my EF isn't so dry as one might assume. :unsure: )

And yes, I too like its extra murk.  I'm finding I like brown-greens and grey-greens quite a lot.  (PS: Vinta Armada is seeming like it's green-ish when wet, then, in the EF nib, goes a pretty neutral / cool grey, but in a larger nib, I see pink and purple in there, and the pink looks kinda sparkly!! :yikes:  It might be the most color-complex ink I've ever used. :D  Thank you. )

I've been spooked about shaking inks too much after a few grizzled posters 10 years ago said, "Don't, ever!" I do gently "turn" them sometimes.

The Vinta is very complex. It looked crazy on a napkin that I put couple drops on!

1 hour ago, TSherbs said:

I've been spooked about shaking inks too much after a few grizzled posters 10 years ago said, "Don't, ever!" I do gently "turn" them sometimes.

Yeah, but then came glitter inks and pigmented / over-saturated inks that need agitation to get stuff back into suspension.  I don't normally shake up bottles, but have found that some benefit from it, and I'm having a hard time imagining a chemical or physics reason why shaking a bit would do harm.  Unless your cap isn't on tight. :lol: I always check the cap first.

1 hour ago, TSherbs said:

The Vinta is very complex. It looked crazy on a napkin that I put couple drops on!

:)

13 minutes ago, LizEF said:

… I'm having a hard time imagining a chemical or physics reason why shaking a bit would do harm. 

I can think of one: if precipitate has formed in the bottle that is not a feature of the ink by design, those particles that have settled at the bottom may be of sizes that are uncontrolled but larger than what would flow (or be carried) through the ink channel on a pen's feed without significant fluid pressure — such as that exerted when filling or flushing the pen. If you shake the bottle before filling, you may end up forcefully sucking up some large particles into the feed, and either clogging the ink channel right then, or getting those particles pulled through into the reservoir in the first instance, but then unable to get them back out through the ink channel without that kind of fluid pressure when writing, and result in obstruction eventually.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 minute ago, A Smug Dill said:

I can think of one: if precipitate has formed in the bottle that is not a feature of the ink by design, those particles that have settled at the bottom may be of sizes that are uncontrolled but larger than what would flow (or be carried) through the ink channel on a pen's feed without significant fluid pressure — such as that exerted when filling or flushing the pen. If you shake the bottle before filling, you may end up forcefully sucking up some large particles into the feed, and either clogging the ink channel right then, or getting those particles pulled through into the reservoir in the first instance, but then unable to get them back out through the ink channel without that kind of fluid pressure when writing, and result in obstruction eventually.

Thank you!  Good point.  I've made a habit of handling an ink bottle carefully to avoid agitation, opening it, inspecting it (for foreign invaders :D ), and then, if I suspect it would benefit from shaking (heavily saturated, pigmented, glittery, etc.), shaking it - not that hard or long, but shaking, not just rocking.  Most inks, I just use once my inspection is complete, no agitation at all.

Thank you for this, Liz! 

This is such a wonderful color and was an early favorite of mine, but unfortunately both my full bottle and, when I checked back, the original sample, developed an alarming amount of slime. When the lovely OS "Willow Green" did too, I backed away from this range of inks (although, sterilized, they still look great in a dip-pen). The colors are unique though, and I am hearing reassuring voices on here that S.I.T.B. may no longer be an issue, in which case it's very tempting to circle back for a fresh batch.

I was too late for both Jonathan Swift and Daniel Defoe, darnit! 

17 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

Thank you for this, Liz!

You're very welcome!

Sorry about your slimy problems. :( I learned about those after I bought my bottle, and I've been watching it with a slight amount of paranoia.  Looks OK so far.

16 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

I was too late for both Jonathan Swift and Daniel Defoe, darnit! 

I got a sample of Jonathan Swift as a gift from a generous person here - back when I was starting out.  It was too late then to buy any for myself, but it started my murky-green obsession! :D

I do hope they have (or he has, as I understand it) done whatever's necessary to prevent SITB.  Anywho, I also understand Tyler (think that's his name) and his wife have a newborn, so it may be a while before inks come back in stock.  (As far as I can tell, they're out of stock everywhere.)

• 10 months later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 285µm.

large.OrganicsStudioWaltWhitmanLW.jpg.ca679f1b7e4470e962a904bb74e7f7c5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Strange that I never added the slide to this thread.  Here it is:

large_OSWW.jpg.51f7735669a68c95af9d3f143b982c0a.jpg

This was done pre-calibration, so those scale lines are sure to be wrong.