"Otto Hutt Design C Fountain Pen - Bauhaus"

tmurfet

https://www.penboutique.com/collections/otto-hutt-design-c/products/otto-hutt-design-c-fountain-pen-bauhaus

If Walter Gropius were alive today I think he would be apoplectic to learn that a $3,500 fountain pen was being advertised as Bauhaus. No doubt Otto Hutt makes beautifully designed and well-made pens but at that price they are out of reach for Joe Average. Part of the original Bauhaus manifesto was that products should be designed and produced at a price that made them readily obtainable by the general public.

The Bauhaus - form follows function without further embellishment; primary colors are always welcome ...

My collection snapshot

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eciton

• tmurfet

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As it happens I interviewed the designer of this pen, Mark Braun. He doesn't see himself as a Bauhaus designer or this pen as a Bauhaus design — but he acknowledges that it's a label very widely applied!

https://ukfountainpens.com/2020/10/19/behind-the-pen-mark-braun-designer-of-the-otto-hutt-designc/

Personally I have some concerns with a pen of this price being called "democratic luxury" too, but I will leave that for another discussion...

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

40 minutes ago, eciton said:

Thanks for sharing. The interview article is very well written and a pleasure to read.

The Bauhaus - form follows function without further embellishment; primary colors are always welcome ...

My collection snapshot

It was a genuine pleasure to talk to Herr Braun... I expected him to be very egotistical but he was engaged, thoughtful and clear. Impressive, especially being interviewed in his second language. When I transcribed the interview I ended up with about three times as much material as made it in to the finished article — it took me many hours to edit while preserving accuracy! Thanks for the kind words, @tmurfet.

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files