Wing Sung 601 - The LEGO of pens

Paganini

On 4/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, Estycollector said:

Okay and thank you for the history of the 601. Since I carry my latest 601, the flighter type, everyday, I have gone to appreciate it more. It my be my imagination, but I think the nib has become more flexiable. It no longer is stingy with the ink, and probably because of the technique I use to fill. 

I depress the plunger before submerging in the ink and depress before removing after filling. 

Maybe

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IJKWS

• Paganini

• Estycollector

• Karmachanic

1 minute ago, IJKWS said:

Wingsung601a with a 14k B nib

IMG_20210411_191839.jpg

It is a test pen I got from the green stationery.Origional one is a steel nib, I changed it to gold nib

9 minutes ago, IJKWS said:

Maybe

Yes, YMMV is always in operation. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

On 4/10/2021 at 10:19 AM, Karmachanic said:

Worth it? Better performance, softer, crisper line, and so forth?

I think it was worth it; I spent $30 - $35 on the nib. This is only my second gold nib, so I don't have much frame of reference for comparison, but I like how it writes. It's just slightly bouncy (I guess as much as a hooded-nibbed pen can be) with a hint of line variation. It doesn't have that pencily feedback that my steel 601/618 wing sung nibs have. It feels more like the nib in my Pilot Lady Pen. I don't know if that's because of the gold, or if it's because they were ground similarly. Anyway, I reach for the 12k 601 a lot. I have Platinum Forest Black in it right now, and I use it most days to write in my journal. 

@IJKWS, both of those pens are very pretty! Are those 14k nibs for the 601A available outside of China? I have one of those 601As with the old stock steel nibs; I got 5 nibs for it, and I hate them all. 

1 hour ago, Paganini said:

I think it was worth it;

Thank you. Ordered. Slightly bouncy works for me, and if it's reminiscent of a Pilot nib, that's a double plus. The Enigma Asymmetry I've been using for morning pages can take a holiday.

Add lightness and simplicate.

4 hours ago, IJKWS said:

My wingsung 601 limited edition pen

It have a plum barrel and top screw sterling silver cap electronic plated with rhodium.

Beautiful pen

IMG_20210411_190851.jpg

It certainly is!

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

17 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Thank you. Ordered. Slightly bouncy works for me, and if it's reminiscent of a Pilot nib, that's a double plus. The Enigma Asymmetry I've been using for morning pages can take a holiday.

Yea!! 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

1 hour ago, Karmachanic said:

Awesome! :)

@Mech-for-i suggested in a post that these 12k nibs have a kind of "break-in" period, and that you should resist the urge to fuss with the nib for a while. That advice seemed to hold true for this nib. I didn't do any polishing or flossing of the 12k nib; I just made sure the tines were aligned. After about 3 days it was writing nice and smooth with a medium flow. It does have a sweet-spot; if you rotate off of center very much it will stop writing. I actually like that, though; The sweet spot is very symmetrical. It makes the pen feel like a precision instrument with specific predictable capabilities, if that makes sense.

12 hours ago, Paganini said:

@IJKWS, both of those pens are very pretty! Are those 14k nibs for the 601A available outside of China? I have one of those 601As with the old stock steel nibs; I got 5 nibs for it, and I hate them all. 

These nib are old stocks of old Wingsung.co which discontinued in 1998.They are used in wingsung 300、301 pens(cost about 250-400RMB in China).Now green stationery only provide No.5 14k open nib for wingsung 601A. If you want to got a 14k triumph nib outside China ,sheaffer TM and snorkel nib will be a better choice.

well, well ....

the BREAK IN / RUN IN period for any Chinese fountain pen nib ( some exception , say Jinhao's ) are almost universal for all Chinese fountain pen nibs , not just the gold nibs. Part of that surely is about cost , but for the most par its following de facto way of how the nib is grounded and presented to the customer , to facilitate his / her own style of writing.

It had to do how the home language can be and are written, in daily usage , Calligraphy , and penmanship. The short and straight fact is there is too many " Hands " and style of writing ( even for the same hand or style of calligraphy / quasi calligraphy ) that even to write the same text with the same calligraphy font in the same hand , same style, one person can choose to write it more laid back ( kind of like Japanese / Korean Calligraphy ) with the pen placed in a very shallow angled to the paper, or one could write it more like western cursive, but equally many choose to write it in classic Chinese Brush style technique which can had the pen almost vertical to the paper ( and with some stroke even negative angled ) , and since the language and most of its writing is about strokes instead of flowing lines , smooth gliding never really important there, and if the customer needs it, its not hard to get either.

Well one grind just do not suite all , so the motto is to prepare the nib as best as it can and left the user to write it to run-in the nib to the proper way how he/she wants it

The old Triumph nib on the 601A are all steel ; they generally are not liked by people who seek smooth cursive writing.  Only the hooded nib and open No.5 had current production gold nib on offer , 12K and 14K for the hooded nib and 14K for the no.5

13 hours ago, Paganini said:

@Mech-for-isuggested in a post that these 12k nibs have a kind of "break-in" period, and that you should resist the urge to fuss with the nib for a while

For me this is standard procedure with every nib. Align the tines if necessary, and use the pen for a bit daily, for at least a week.

Add lightness and simplicate.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:55 PM, Mech-for-i said:

well, well ....

the BREAK IN / RUN IN period for any Chinese fountain pen nib ( some exception , say Jinhao's ) are almost universal for all Chinese fountain pen nibs , not just the gold nibs. Part of that surely is about cost , but for the most par its following de facto way of how the nib is grounded and presented to the customer , to facilitate his / her own style of writing.

It had to do how the home language can be and are written, in daily usage , Calligraphy , and penmanship. The short and straight fact is there is too many " Hands " and style of writing ( even for the same hand or style of calligraphy / quasi calligraphy ) that even to write the same text with the same calligraphy font in the same hand , same style, one person can choose to write it more laid back ( kind of like Japanese / Korean Calligraphy ) with the pen placed in a very shallow angled to the paper, or one could write it more like western cursive, but equally many choose to write it in classic Chinese Brush style technique which can had the pen almost vertical to the paper ( and with some stroke even negative angled ) , and since the language and most of its writing is about strokes instead of flowing lines , smooth gliding never really important there, and if the customer needs it, its not hard to get either.

Well one grind just do not suite all , so the motto is to prepare the nib as best as it can and left the user to write it to run-in the nib to the proper way how he/she wants it

Yes,Jinhao always write smooth!

The only problem is that Chinese doesn't like the nib  Because the ink flows too more  to  write  Chinese.