Wing Sung 601 - The LEGO of pens

Paganini

20210403_121513.thumb.jpg.fd08a49a187a04b08a325066a92f8ba0.jpg

20210403_121847.thumb.jpg.2e2e8444b7b6d4cb5601331fc3730e27.jpg

20210403_122135.thumb.jpg.8843cf6073b532bca336bb5604064508.jpg

I'm particularly fond of the gold-trim one second from the left - it has a 12k nib. 

20210403_122709.thumb.jpg.d9f3689b4aedaa2dba1a477d8af11c98.jpg

I also like the gold-trim demonstrator a lot; it doesn't exist "in the wild." I built it from parts.

20210403_122353.thumb.jpg.407f84e9d4aef6f1195e823899c28e81.jpg

The parts are mostly interchangeable with the parts from Hero 616s, so if, e.g., you want to replace the dorky plastic "jewels" in your 601s with metal ones, Hero 616s are a cheap source of trim parts. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IJKWS

• Paganini

• Estycollector

• Karmachanic

Thank you. I cannot believe the lack of attention this pen gets here. Folks can complain about what’s wrong or right about the latest attempt to replicate the 51, and the WS 601 is like a voice crying in the wilderness.....😂😂😂

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

:D

I seem to have become a 601 collector of sorts. The more of them I have, the less interested I am in my other pens. It's quite an about-face for me. In the past I had no use for anything that didn't have a big open nib with wide shoulders, preferably gold-colored with some scrollwork. I wanted that CLASSIC FOUNTAIN PEN look. Now I love me my hooded sections. 

My 618 is great too, but I really like the piston vac system of the 601. 

I want the demonstrator model. Bobby does not have the two jewel version on his Etsy page. 

5 hours ago, IJKWS said:

As far as I know,the whole stainless steel edition only has 14k nib in 2 lines :Fine and Extra fine

The 12k nib in my one is 0.5 mm, which I guess is "fine." It was a bit hard to track down; I only found one AliExpress seller who had it, and I felt like I was taking a bit of a risk when I bought it. It all went smoothly though. 

3 hours ago, Estycollector said:

I want the demonstrator model. Bobby does not have the two jewel version on his Etsy page. 

Yes, I had to make it; to get the "double jewel" demonstrator, I ordered the 601A open-nib version, and then transplanted the hood from a regular 601 demonstrator, and the gold trim from a 601A "flighter." I already had a spare gold-colored nib to go in mine; but if I were to start from scratch, I'd get the 601A open-nib demonstrator, and a gold-trim 618 and combine them. The 618 is slightly cheaper. :) The ring on the blind cap is still the original chrome one - it comes off easily, but I couldn't source a gold-colored replacement for it. The gold-trim rings from the "flighter" blind caps are very securely attached, and I was afraid of scuffing them when trying to remove them, so I gave up. The steel trim-ring doesn't look so bad, anyway. 

On 4/8/2021 at 10:19 PM, Paganini said:

The 12k nib in my one is 0.5 mm, which I guess is "fine." It was a bit hard to track down; I only found one AliExpress seller who had it, and I felt like I was taking a bit of a risk when I bought it. It all went smoothly though. 

Interesting,the whole stainless steel edition have 4 nibs ,ef and f line 14k nib ,and stainless steel nib in ef and f line(0.5MM ,0.38MM)

12k Fine(0.5mm) nibs are only used in plastic pen with stainless steel cap.

I think your pen is a 14k edition.You could open the grip and see it

On 4/8/2021 at 10:19 PM, Paganini said:

All wingsung 601 12k nibs are adjusted by hand in order to have a good writing experience.

On 4/7/2021 at 12:45 AM, Estycollector said:

Thank you. I cannot believe the lack of attention this pen gets here. Folks can complain about what’s wrong or right about the latest attempt to replicate the 51, and the WS 601 is like a voice crying in the wilderness.....😂😂😂

In fact,601 series are based on “102”wingsung in 1960s.It has 6 ink windows and a 18.5mm long 12k nib(smaller than 51).However, no matter what kind of wingsung vac pen ,570wingsung,102/103wingsung,51wingsung or wingsung 601.They all looks like a parker51

On 4/8/2021 at 6:26 PM, Estycollector said:

I don't have 2 jewel model.but my special edition 601 with sterling silver cap are based on 2 jewel model

1 hour ago, IJKWS said:

In fact,601 series are based on “102”wingsung in 1960s.It has 6 ink windows and a 18.5mm long 12k nib(smaller than 51).However, no matter what kind of wingsung vac pen ,570wingsung,102/103wingsung,51wingsung or wingsung 601.They all looks like a parker51

Okay and thank you for the history of the 601. Since I carry my latest 601, the flighter type, everyday, I have gone to appreciate it more. It my be my imagination, but I think the nib has become more flexiable. It no longer is stingy with the ink, and probably because of the technique I use to fill. 

I depress the plunger before submerging in the ink and depress before removing after filling. 

2 hours ago, IJKWS said:

Interesting,the whole stainless steel edition have 4 nibs ,ef and f line 14k nib ,and stainless steel nib in ef and f line(0.5MM ,0.38MM)

I assumed my flighter was stainless, but noticed a gold hue one day. 

4 hours ago, IJKWS said:

Ah, sorry, I wasn't clear; I bought just the 12k nib on AliExpress (and also the steel section, from Bobby on eBay) separately from the rest of the pen and installed them myself. 

38 minutes ago, Paganini said:

I bought just the 12k nib on AliExpress

Worth it? Better performance, softer, crisper line, and so forth?

Add lightness and simplicate.

17 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Worth it? Better performance, softer, crisper line, and so forth?

Like I posted before, the gold nib in the fligher has gotten smoother and more flexible over time. It's carried daily and has been for months. 

On 4/6/2021 at 12:45 PM, Estycollector said:

Not me.  I have five and I love them.  Even the 601-A.   And I HAVE a couple of Parker 51s.  

These write every bit as well as the Parkers, but you can sense that their plastic is a bit more frail. 

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

21 hours ago, Paganini said:

Ah, sorry, I wasn't clear; I bought just the 12k nib on AliExpress (and also the steel section, from Bobby on eBay) separately from the rest of the pen and installed them myself. 

Okay,  I know it. 

I have talked a lot  with the manufacturer. They told me  that the gold pen sale is very little outside China. But in China their gold nib pens are very popular. The Chinese gold nib writes well and affordable.The 14k ef nibs are polished by hand,and the fine nibs are polished by machine. 12k is an early edition , nibs were produced in about 2017.They all have a good quality.

My wingsung 601 limited edition pen

It have a plum barrel and top screw sterling silver cap electronic plated with rhodium.

Beautiful pen

IMG_20210411_190851.jpg

20 hours ago, Estycollector said:

Like I posted before, the gold nib in the fligher has gotten smoother and more flexible over time. It's carried daily and has been for months. 

Guess I'll have to buy one then!

Add lightness and simplicate.