Flow issues with Camlin royal blue with Pilot fine nib

cvk

Hi all,

i see that when i am using camlin royal blue ink with pilot fine nib on kakuno, i see that it starts out very dark and wet. Then after writing a few lines, it feels very dry as if ink is not coming to the nib. Then if i open the pen and rotate the converter to prime feed again, it flows well for some more time. Initially i suspected the pen but i have used other noodlers inks with same pen and it seems to work okay. Am i doing something wrong?

thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cvk

• Dimy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, cvk said:

Hi all,

i see that when i am using camlin royal blue ink with pilot fine nib on kakuno, i see that it starts out very dark and wet. Then after writing a few lines, it feels very dry as if ink is not coming to the nib. Then if i open the pen and rotate the converter to prime feed again, it flows well for some more time. Initially i suspected the pen but i have used other noodlers inks with same pen and it seems to work okay. Am i doing something wrong?

thanks

I have the ink and the pen, will do a quick test to reproduce the problem, so far its highly unlikely the fault of pen.

The F nib on metro is very fine and does show some issues with dry inks in general or not properly lubricated inks....

46 minutes ago, Dimy said:

I have the ink and the pen, will do a quick test to reproduce the problem, so far its highly unlikely the fault of pen.

The F nib on metro is very fine and does show some issues with dry inks in general or not properly lubricated inks....

Yes. Thanks @Dimy  what i did is i now put noodlers hod in kakuno and camlin royal blue in wality 69t. Now i dont see the flow issues in either at least for the time being. 

All righty did the test.

2 pens picked, metropolitan and kakuno both in fine and con 20 convertor. Written 8 pages of songs lyrics, jokes, memes........what in the world have I written seriously......... anyway 8 sheets A4 filled with who knows what...

Results.

First 2 or so pages show no issues, not significant enough at least, most likely due to feed being dipped in ink and having lots of ink before actually recieving ink from convertor. After this I see the issue but not as severe as your case (could be weather, hot here 40s nearing, could be pen... can't really put my finger on exact reason). My case saw skips when writing fast and general colour getting lighter, again when fast writing over normal speed. I think ink is one to blame here...could be saturation, could be nature itself. Don't see this issue in F nibs of other pens, including preppy (not tried in sailor, I have only one sailor and its not becoming test pen anytime soon). Medium metropolitan showed no issue either. 

Conclusion, seems the case of pen and ink combination not working well, seems feed not best for such inks.....most likely too fine of a nib.... expected result, fun test anyway.

1 hour ago, Dimy said:

All righty did the test.

2 pens picked, metropolitan and kakuno both in fine and con 20 convertor. Written 8 pages of songs lyrics, jokes, memes........what in the world have I written seriously......... anyway 8 sheets A4 filled with who knows what...

Results.

First 2 or so pages show no issues, not significant enough at least, most likely due to feed being dipped in ink and having lots of ink before actually recieving ink from convertor. After this I see the issue but not as severe as your case (could be weather, hot here 40s nearing, could be pen... can't really put my finger on exact reason). My case saw skips when writing fast and general colour getting lighter, again when fast writing over normal speed. I think ink is one to blame here...could be saturation, could be nature itself. Don't see this issue in F nibs of other pens, including preppy (not tried in sailor, I have only one sailor and its not becoming test pen anytime soon). Medium metropolitan showed no issue either. 

Conclusion, seems the case of pen and ink combination not working well, seems feed not best for such inks.....most likely too fine of a nib.... expected result, fun test anyway.

Thanks so much! :) What ink do you use in the Kakuno in general? Just curious. Is it always Pilot ones? 

1 hour ago, Dimy said:

All righty did the test.

Results.

also, another question, in case you have any Kanwrite pens OR ASA pens. Which of those pens (Eg. EF/F from Kanwrite Desire or F in ASA Daily) do you think comes closest in performance (or exceeds) the Pilot nibs?  

3 hours ago, cvk said:

also, another question, in case you have any Kanwrite pens OR ASA pens. Which of those pens (Eg. EF/F from Kanwrite Desire or F in ASA Daily) do you think comes closest in performance (or exceeds) the Pilot nibs?  

In case of ASA pens, I have only in jowo nibs, that one has more feedback then pilot nib for sure, ASA in house nib is something I have not tried yet so can't say. Kanwrite nibs have same feedback as metro more or less, but are wetter nibs for sure.

Personally I like Kanwrite nibs and jowo nibs fair bit, Kanwrite desire in Fine nib is always used and is one of my favourite daily writers. ASA maya is used a lot as well but mostly for pencil feel of nib and general likeness for large nibs and pens in my case, which I find easier to handle and write long sessions.... weirdly.

Which over pilot is very hard choice for me, I like pilot nibs of kakuno and metro, mostly cos of the feel of nib but so is true for others. In my case it depends on mood for me.

Although that said, pilot was empty and Kanwrite desire is never empty in my case, so I like wetter Kanwrite for sure. So its just what you prefer.

Wetter nib- Kanwrite

Feedback-jowo

Edit- both Kanwrite and jowo maya are for fine nib, EF nibs, I have them but not yet swapped to use.

4 hours ago, Dimy said:

In case of ASA pens, I have only in jowo nibs, that one has more feedback then pilot nib for sure, ASA in house nib is something I have not tried yet so can't say. Kanwrite nibs have same feedback as metro more or less, but are wetter nibs for sure.

Personally I like Kanwrite nibs and jowo nibs fair bit, Kanwrite desire in Fine nib is always used and is one of my favourite daily writers. ASA maya is used a lot as well but mostly for pencil feel of nib and general likeness for large nibs and pens in my case, which I find easier to handle and write long sessions.... weirdly.

Which over pilot is very hard choice for me, I like pilot nibs of kakuno and metro, mostly cos of the feel of nib but so is true for others. In my case it depends on mood for me.

Although that said, pilot was empty and Kanwrite desire is never empty in my case, so I like wetter Kanwrite for sure. So its just what you prefer.

Wetter nib- Kanwrite

Feedback-jowo

Edit- both Kanwrite and jowo maya are for fine nib, EF nibs, I have them but not yet swapped to use.

Thanks so much @Dimy

Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Looks like I have the same preferences as you. I was wondering if ASA pens can give the pencil like feel of the nib because I had heard that European nibs like JoWo are bigger in size than Pilot's (never used any European nibs before). Glad to hear that that does not seem to be the case. :)  Also happy to hear  about Kanwrite. I dont have a KW pen either. 

33 minutes ago, cvk said:

Thanks so much @Dimy

Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Looks like I have the same preferences as you. I was wondering if ASA pens can give the pencil like feel of the nib because I had heard that European nibs like JoWo are bigger in size than Pilot's (never used any European nibs before). Glad to hear that that does not seem to be the case. :)  Also happy to hear  about Kanwrite. I dont have a KW pen either. 

Na its the number of nib that matters, say you get ASA in no 5 nib, be either jowo, Schmidt or ASA own nib, these will be about same size as pilot in feel at least it won't hamper the writing habbit, if that's the main concern, while no 6 nibs are larger then pilots. Attaching image of comparison of nib size.

IMG_20210102_025001.jpg.342d17bfcd5c34115458cf9dd4029ec3.jpg

From left to right. Preppy fine nib, wality 69EB fine nib, ASA maya no 6 jowo nib, pilot metropolitan Medium nib, Lamy safari fine nib.

As seen Maya has larger nib then metro, this is no 6 nib so there is the reason. ASA daily has a no 5 nib or Schmidt FH341 as Schmidt calls them (7.7 or 7.5 mm if I recall), this one will be smaller nib compared to 8.5mm of jowo nib which I have, should feel just right in size with metro or kakuno user. So yeah if daily is the ain then it should feel home with nib size.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 3:14 PM, cvk said:

Thanks so much! :) What ink do you use in the Kakuno in general? Just curious. Is it always Pilot ones? 

Oh my missed this one, usually it varies, that alone tells that I often switch the ink.

Standard lot circles around iroshizuku shin kai, taccia cha or taccia tsuchi and waterman serenity blue.