Sailor 110th Anniversary Commemorative Pen x3

Ronderick

mmm... the amount of Sailor-related release this month seems ridiculous...

https://sailor.co.jp/news/20210401/

(press release in Japanese)

So for the 110th anniversary, Sailor will be releasing 3 pens - "Premium", "Shirokane", and "Kurokane". Premium is limited to 110 pens worldwide, while the other 2 are both limited to 1,100 pens each. Release date is May 27, 2021.

Looks like you get the 21 k nib stamped with "110th anniversary", a special wooden box, and a pen sleeve made from hemp fabric for these anniversary pens. The premium version comes with a bottle of "Sailor Blue - Dawn" ink.

Weird... don't see the prices mentioned...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Ronderick

• Fekete

• Theroc

27 minutes ago, Ronderick said:

Weird... don't see the prices mentioned...

I don't think it's weird at all, considering the press releases for these recent high-end limited-edition pens didn't mention prices either:

Not even for these middle-of-the-road pens, limited edition or otherwise:

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

17 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I don't think it's weird at all, considering the press releases for these recent high-end limited-edition pens didn't mention prices either:

Ah... OK, I see now that the product links in the press release are working now (they weren't working when I first posted).

So for the Premium, the MSRP is 550,000 yen, while the other 2 are 110,000 yen. Choices include (21k bicolor) F, MF, M, and B nibs.   

9 minutes ago, Ronderick said:

Ah... OK, I see now that the product links in the press release are working now (they weren't working when I first posted).

They weren't working when I was browsing earlier either, but returned HTTP error 404.

Damn, those pens are heavy!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

4 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Damn, those pens are heavy!

Wow.... the lightest being 76 g? The Premium going up to 84 g?

That's still like twice the weight of the huge Pilot Custom Urushi...

Talking about weaponizing a pen... definitely not something you want to carry around in your shirt pocket.

honestly with that price point, it’s quite disappointing... since at the same price point you can get a more unique pen from them that has more " hand work" and design elements in it.

On another note the nib description translates to "A 21-karat gold nib made with the unique technology of the Sailor Pen. The more elastic and supple pen tip is less likely to run out of ink even when the writing pressure is strong, and the ink supply is always stable. The comfortable writing taste, which is also called the feather touch that slides on the paper so that it bends, is a gem that you can feel the origin of the fountain pen. A limited edition nib with the sailor's symbol "anchor" and the 110th anniversary memorial engraved in the center and finished in bicolor."

not sure if this is a marketing scheme for their 21K nib or actually a new "flex" nib that sailor is experimenting with. If it is the latter i am excited and "okey" with the release, otherwise it’s a complete disappointment...

2 hours ago, The-Thinker said:

not sure if this is a marketing scheme for their 21K nib or actually a new "flex" nib that sailor is experimenting with.

I don't know why some hobbyists are not only obsessed with “flex” — when most of them don't practise the style of calligraphy that requires that particular type of mechanical capability in writing instruments to effect — but also keep yearning for it in pens that are not solely or primarily designed for writing in Latin-based languages, when lateral spreading of the tines to result in widening of the line under pressure does not give the right sort of effect when writing hanzi/kanji and kana. (I don't know the first thing about writing in Arabic, Thai or Devanagari script to comment.)

It took me a long time, and not the least because of the skewed views that I often see expressed in fountain pen hobbyists forums, for me to understand the rather simple difference between “soft” and “flex”; and “soft” to produce brush-like strokes is what works for Japanese (and, by extension, Chinese due the kanji aspect) writing. Soft nibs are also perfectly competent for regular, even expressive, writing in English; not to mention there are also many brush script styles in English calligraphy. If Sailor is indeed emphasis the suppleness of the nib and/or its tines, it will be “softness” in that the bending would be upwards in the direction away from the where the feed sits in relation to the metal while the tines remain close to each other, not “flexing” by way of allowing the tips of the tines to move apart from each other sideways.

There is no reason I can see for Sailor to develop a “flex” nib that is primarily suited to Latin-based writing, when the demands of certain niches in some English-speaking markets would never take centre stage with the company's product R&D, and especially to coincide with commemorating the company's long history in Japan.

9 hours ago, Ronderick said:

So for the Premium, the MSRP is 550,000 yen, while the other 2 are 110,000 yen. Choices include (21k bicolor) F, MF, M, and B nibs.   

Unaffordablium was born.

I love the aesthetics, but they seem to have completely disregarded ergonomics. I can't see how you can hold this pen comfortably. Maybe if your preferred grip is the junkyard claw?

The price is high for the regular versions, but that's to be expected for limited editions like this. I find the five-fold jump for the premium edition more disturbing.

2 hours ago, Theroc said:

I find the five-fold jump for the premium edition more disturbing.

There is precedent; the price of the premium version of Platinum's 100th Anniversary commemorative #3776 Century model ‘The Prime’, with a platinum body, was priced at ¥1,000,000+tax which was ten-fold the price of the sterling silver version.

So $5,500 (roughly) for a limited edition fountain pen with a heavy metal body that includes an unspecified amount of 21K gold in it, a large and specially-stamped 21K nib, a special finial, a bottle of ink, a pen sleeve, and a fancy box. 

Someone posted about these pens on our Facebook pen group this morning, without the prices, and some others suggested it might be an April Fool's joke. Apparently not. 

There are lots of very expensive items in this world of which I fail to see the appeal. This one goes on that list for me. Oh well, something else I don't understand. 

1 hour ago, Paul-in-SF said:

So $5,500 (roughly)

Very roughly. ¥550,000 is about US$4,972 today; and, if you're getting the pen as a direct export from Japan with the proper process and paperwork, then you would not be liable to pay the 10% consumption tax for the Japanese domestic market. (Sending or bringing it home, without being duly taxed at the border of your home country, may present a different challenge.)

• 2 weeks later...

Prices - unbelievable for a steel pen.

Design - not better than many cheap pens.

The design is the problem the Big 3 have.

One of these was being discussed in another thread.  I was already floored by the price for what you got.  And now in this thread I'm seeing a 76 gram weight?

I was already gonna pass.  Now, it's definite.  An ugly expensive pen that weighs nearly three times what my TWSBI 580-AL and 580-ALR weigh?  DEFINITELY a pass.

Even ugly as many of them are, even Montblanc makes an attempt at style (they often fail epically, but at least they make an attempt).  

If I need a baseball bat, I can buy a genuine Louisville Slugger for about $150 US; and a LE edition custom aluminum bat for about a 1/10 the price of this pen....  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

But wait, there’s more ... it seems that these very limited and special pens come with the same converter as all other Sailor pens, which holds about .6 ml or more realistically .5 ml ink.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I want that Blue Dawn ink.  Does it look to be exclusive to the pen sets?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”