Ink Mixes - Iroshizuku - Syo-Ro...

Detman101

Hello all,

I wanted to ask if anyone has had any success mixing "Iroshizuku - Syo-Ro" with other inks to obtain a nicer color.
I bought the bottle months ago and never used it again after one fill. I'm considering going back to it, but would like to see if it mixes with other inks well.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Detman101

• rudyhou

• LizEF

• The Mustard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting question.  I don't have an experiential answer.  So while we're waiting, I can make some guesses based on color theory...  If you mix it with a green or yellow, it will become more green.  Blue will make it more blue.  Black should make it darker (and possibly muted), but a lot of blacks are a hodge-podge of colors, so anything could happen, depending on the exact black ink.  Mixing with magenta, red, or orange will probably make mud (brown).  Purple might make mud or move it toward blue.

You could follow the example of @namrehsnoom and do an "InkShift" using this and another ink you don't particularly like, to see what comes of it.

3 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Interesting question.  I don't have an experiential answer.  So while we're waiting, I can make some guesses based on color theory...  If you mix it with a green or yellow, it will become more green.  Blue will make it more blue.  Black should make it darker (and possibly muted), but a lot of blacks are a hodge-podge of colors, so anything could happen, depending on the exact black ink.  Mixing with magenta, red, or orange will probably make mud (brown).  Purple might make mud or move it toward blue.

You could follow the example of @namrehsnoom and do an "InkShift" using this and another ink you don't particularly like, to see what comes of it.

Not a bad set of ideas at all!
I think I may try it with another green ink to begin with.
The blue undertone of the ink will probably still come out of the mix when it's washed with the water-brush.
I will then try mixing it with "J.Herbin - Perle Noir" as that is more of a dark-grey ink and will bring darker tones to the Syo-Ro and also make the ink a little Drier/increase surface tension.
🤔

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

43 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

Not a bad set of ideas at all!
I think I may try it with another green ink to begin with.
The blue undertone of the ink will probably still come out of the mix when it's washed with the water-brush.
I will then try mixing it with "J.Herbin - Perle Noir" as that is more of a dark-grey ink and will bring darker tones to the Syo-Ro and also make the ink a little Drier/increase surface tension.
🤔

Hope you share the results, but either way, have fun! :)

7 hours ago, LizEF said:

Hope you share the results, but either way, have fun! :)

Oh absolutely! I will post the pics of the results to this thread.
Thank you! :)

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

I once mixed my Syo-Ro green with Asa-Gao blue.  Both from the mini 15ml Iro bottles.  

I don't usually write with green ink and I find Asa-Gao too purplish for my liking, and so I mixed them both.  It came out a nice saturated teal that leans more to blue. 

If you're not into teal inks, my suggestion is to add a black ink to create a deep-dark version of Syo-Ro as this could be a nice formal ink for daily writing.

Or if you're adventurous and have a red ink lying around that you don't use much, the mix of these green and red could give you a new brown ink.  

As always, the basic rule of ink mixing is that it is best to use the same brand, however, I never had a problem with mixing different brands together, as long as they are of reputable ink brands.

-rudy-

9 hours ago, rudyhou said:

I once mixed my Syo-Ro green with Asa-Gao blue.  Both from the mini 15ml Iro bottles.  

I don't usually write with green ink and I find Asa-Gao too purplish for my liking, and so I mixed them both.  It came out a nice saturated teal that leans more to blue. 

If you're not into teal inks, my suggestion is to add a black ink to create a deep-dark version of Syo-Ro as this could be a nice formal ink for daily writing.

Or if you're adventurous and have a red ink lying around that you don't use much, the mix of these green and red could give you a new brown ink.  

As always, the basic rule of ink mixing is that it is best to use the same brand, however, I never had a problem with mixing different brands together, as long as they are of reputable ink brands.

I'm not that keen on Teal anymore...it's part of the reason I don't utilize my "Emerald of Chivor" any longer. I will try mixing Syo-ro with black and see what that yields...great idea.  
I know and remember that I did not like the amount of blue in Syo-ro, especially the blue wash that comes out when you use a water brush on it. For Blue I prefer pure blue like "Kon Peki".
"Troublemaker - Milky Ocean" is the only exception...that ink is just pure amazing. 😍

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Oops, I ordered a bottle of Syo-Ro that arrived yesterday but I haven’t opened yet, regretting that now based on this feed! 😮

48 minutes ago, The Mustard said:

Oops, I ordered a bottle of Syo-Ro that arrived yesterday but I haven’t opened yet, regretting that now based on this feed! 😮

Always better to try it yourself as everyone has different preferences. Here's to hoping you will like the ink! :'3

7 hours ago, The Mustard said:

Oh no!! i hope that you like the ink!
I hope that I haven't soured anyones opinion of the ink, I love almost all of the Iroshizuku inks and always will. I bought Syo-Ro for it's beautiful color-changing properties.
I don't find it "Green" enough for my uses nowadays... though, back when I was in my "Teal" phase it was the only ink I used. 😁
I'd like to make it more "Green" so that the whole 3/4 bottle doesn't just sit around...that's truly all, heh.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Welp...I haven't played with Syo-Ro yet, as I am working on freeing up a pen to test it with.
But I DID play with my "Kon Peki" filled pen by adding a little "Manyo Haha" to it.

Results are a muted, slightly purpley, flat blue...

SCAN0064.JPG

EDIT:  Strange...the scan doesn't look at all like the photo!
Scan looks almost aqua...when I look at the page, it looks like a purple-blue.
What the...

Edited by Detman101
Strange...scan doesn't look like what I see...

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 8:00 PM, Detman101 said:

I'm not that keen on Teal anymore...it's part of the reason I don't utilize my "Emerald of Chivor" any longer. I will try mixing Syo-ro with black and see what that yields...great idea.  
I know and remember that I did not like the amount of blue in Syo-ro, especially the blue wash that comes out when you use a water brush on it. For Blue I prefer pure blue like "Kon Peki".
"Troublemaker - Milky Ocean" is the only exception...that ink is just pure amazing. 😍

I have never tried Troublemker inks before, so I don't have the knowledge to know the difference.  And yes, Kon-Peki is a nice blue.  Good luck with your ink mixing trials, hope you getting a color shade you like.

-rudy-