PLUS x Sailor Mauve Pink Mini Review

aimi

The first ink review I've ever done. Going to have to apologize in advance that I didn't have a medium/broad nib available AND I got a little bit of blue in one of my writing samples 😢 I don't even know where that blue came from seeing as that pen hasn't been inked with blue in well over a year. Well, learn and live for next time.

This was the pink ink that came with the new PLUS x Sailor Yozakura (Cherry Blossoms at Night) collaboration.

The ink feels neither too dry nor too wet and is similar to other Sailor inks I've tried before. The dry time is average, and probably better with a finer/drier pen than what's shown (I regret doing the smudge samples with a vintage flex pen, which is definitely more wet than the average pen). Overall, I really like the colour-- it's a muted, but not-too-pale, pink. I would say that for warmth it's pretty neutral, maybe just a smidge on the cooler side on white paper in a broader nib. It looks absolutely gorgeous on Cosmo Air Light paper even in the MF nib.

On Midori MD (default cream)

IMG_0191.thumb.JPG.92aa291812b316ac2e5cf227b28586bb.JPG

On Cosmo Air Light (white)

IMG_0190.thumb.jpg.3633cebb54c9f358beb3b0c88ed46cf9.jpg

(I honestly love everything about this paper *except* the velvety texture with broader nibs)

It's unclear why to me the colour looks so different in the flex nib, but it's possibly due to the fact that I dipped this pen rather than actually ink it, more ink pooling due to its wetness, or maybe more blue ink materializing out of nowhere.

Bonus Picture with the Yozakura PGS

IMG_0192.thumb.jpg.6e6b9179ecefe79bb922471bb333db15.jpg

The bottle the ink comes in is absolutely charming. The sticker label has a slight gradient.

Final thought: The pen is beautiful, but I might honestly like the ink it came with even more 😛

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aimi

• lapis

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh this pen....it’s so beautiful!  I also like the one from a while back that was a little more muted in color, just pink and white, I think. Thanks for showing it, especially the ink, though I doubt I will ever spend what they want for these LE pens (though I did say 6 months ago that I’d never spend over $75 for a pen...and that certainly didn’t work out too well for me)

Excellent review!  Nice photos.  I enjoyed reading your impressions of it.  Perhaps the color change is a feature of the ink, implied by the gradations in the label?  Either way, good job, and thanks for doing a review.

Nice review. I'd buy it (the ink) if its blueness (leading me to think of lavender) was a true trait of the ink itself and not any leftovers in the pen(s).

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

45 minutes ago, Geslina said:

Oh this pen....it’s so beautiful!  I also like the one from a while back that was a little more muted in color, just pink and white, I think. Thanks for showing it, especially the ink, though I doubt I will ever spend what they want for these LE pens (though I did say 6 months ago that I’d never spend over $75 for a pen...and that certainly didn’t work out too well for me)

I agree. I wanted the gold version from last year (also came in the pink you mentioned), but I have a very specific collection of blue pens so I'm glad I waited it out to this year when the blue became available. And haha welcome to the rabbithole!!

16 minutes ago, lapis said:

Nice review. I'd buy it (the ink) if its blueness (leading me to think of lavender) was a true trait of the ink itself and not any leftovers in the pen(s).

Haha sorry for the blue ink intruding! I was shocked to see it come out of my pen since I made sure to even take apart my nib and rinse it out. The ink itself is definitely not lavender and more a pinkish mauve (I don't even think "Mauve" alone is a true description of it). But today I did buy a sample of one of the Kobe hydrangea inks that might be more lavendar-ish. Hopefully if I review that next time I won't end up with awkward blue streaks again.

17 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Excellent review!  Nice photos.  I enjoyed reading your impressions of it.  Perhaps the color change is a feature of the ink, implied by the gradations in the label?  Either way, good job, and thanks for doing a review.

Thank you! And hmm I'm not sure, that could be an interesting thought! I'll have to wait for my Sailor Zoom nib to be available and ink it up, maybe I'll update the post at that point to see if the vintage flex nib and Zoom nib are similar colours compared to the MF.

6 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Great first review, bravo. Colour is not my cup of tea :)

Thank you so much. I am usually a blue inks kind of person, but I absolutely love this colour for some reason! Also helps break up the monotony of my million blues and teals in my notebooks hah.

6 minutes ago, aimi said:

Thank you so much. I am usually a blue inks kind of person, but I absolutely love this colour for some reason! Also helps break up the monotony of my million blues and teals in my notebooks hah.

I understand. One needs a break from blues and teals :)

Thank you very much for the review! Excellent work.

I don't have much use for pink inks myself in everyday applications, but this does render gorgeously on Cosmo Air Light paper as you say, especially when “Written with M-stubbish vintage” — the very colour of my wedding suit. :)

It's interesting how your vintage flex nib consistently produces the outlining in each pen stroke, which also clearly demonstrate the aptness for shading with this ink.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Thank you very much for the review! Excellent work.

I don't have much use for pink inks myself in everyday applications, but this does render gorgeously on Cosmo Air Light paper as you say, especially when “Written with M-stubbish vintage” — the very colour of my wedding suit. :)

It's interesting how your vintage flex nib consistently produces the outlining in each pen stroke, which also clearly demonstrate the aptness for shading with this ink.

Thank you!! And yes, now that you mention it I do see a bit of halo-ing with my flex nib! And your suit must have looked very dapper! :)

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Lovely review - and I love the ink too. 

Thank you for a nice enable :)

Heh, I think the pen might still be available on Amazon.jp if you're out looking for it ^_^

Not sure the color is for me (except of course if I had some pen with vintage flex, where it seemed to be brighter and more saturated).  But thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Nice color - thanks for showing this ink!

Also very fitting name - looks pretty much exactly how I'd expect a pink mauve to look 😄

Really enjoyed the review, and the ink too. Looks like a very lovely pastel-rose. I don’t see myself using it, but that’s what FPN is for: enjoying the wide variety of inks you would never buy yourself.

31 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Really enjoyed the review, and the ink too. Looks like a very lovely pastel-rose. I don’t see myself using it, but that’s what FPN is for: enjoying the wide variety of inks you would never buy yourself.

Yes, but the dangerous part is enjoying the other wide variety of inks I would always  buy myself.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

3 hours ago, lapis said:

Yes, but the dangerous part is enjoying the other wide variety of inks I would always  buy myself.

Sad but true.  Which is why I warn new people what evil enablers we all are....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

4 hours ago, lapis said:

I have amassed so many ink samples over the last year that I dream about giving them away and enabling some lucky (or poor? haha) soul and starting the re-amassment all over again.