How to give away pens & notebooks?

Hey everyone,

I started this new year laid off from a job I was at for 20 years. No regrets or anger because it really was time to leave. Plus severance pay from a 20 year job is very generous:) Very fortuitously I had a job literally fall onto my lap almost immediately so I am going to be starting a new life in Singapore and really looking forward to it. 

This necessitated drastically reducing my earthly possessions by quite a bit. I already had been throwing away stuff I accumulated since the end of last year due to a potential apartment purchase that fell through. But this time, because I am moving half way around the world and not a mile up the road, I feel the need to clear out stuff that I have sitting around that I know I will no longer use. 

I have about 40+ pens I want to give away. These range from current Levengers, a few lower end Pilots and Sailors, a smattering of different Chinese pens, and a few other miscellaneous pens from different makers from around the world. Nothing super expensive, all great pens in working order as far as I know. Some of them have nibs substituted, like the Monteverde which has a 1.5 Bock stub nib, the Nemosine with also a stub nib. These are great pens for those who are either starting out or love this genre of pens. BTW the funny looking Santini pen with the Chinese characters is the only pen that no longer has it's original gold nib. It has a Bexley stainless steel nib on it. 

While I will be happy to send things to people who posts wants, I don't know I have the wherewithal to accommodate the whims and fancies of different folks. I would rather give this lock stock and barrel to one person who could then either parcel things out, or bring it to a pen meet or pen show to put at the Pay it forward table. I would even be happy to pay for postage but only to one person. 

Any one willing to help out? I am in Manhattan btw.

Notebooks.jpg

Pens to give.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gerigo

• JCC123

• rkesey

• Mar_

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in Manhattan as well. I'd be happy to take the Montblanc Notes and the Moleskine blank pages from you if you're willing. I can meet you anywhere midtown or UES.

I'm interested in putting this out at pen club meetings or the PIF table at a pen show when things start getting back to normal. I am also interested in that blue Opus 88 Koloro and the Orange Ranga I believe. I've been curious about those two pens.

I'm a newer member into the pen hobby (ish 3 months) and one that's often lacking paper (due to funds). If there was a way for me to get some of that, maybe through someone who takes the whole lot? 

I know you mentioned you'd rather not send things split, but I'd be glad to take all of that paper that wasn't asked for from JCC, so I could be able to experience and know where I should put my money into in the future, if that was possible? It's all good if not :) 

I'd love to hear how the new start goes in Singapore!

_Mar

- Indiana usa.

I don't want to push my luck if ever at all, any long, and or heavy, and or thick pens I'd like too. I've got a Jinhao x750, and I love it's feel.
It feels alright to enter raffles, but it feels wrong to ask for something in a pif post. Why is that?

MAR Watermark.png
fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Indiana . USA

If you want everything documented . . . I'll take the lot off your hands. I can and will send updates to you and to this thread of the recipients.

Here's the kicker: I live in the Philippines.

I have US deliveries sent to my brother in California, then he sends them in bulk to me.

More and more people are rediscovering fountain pens here all the time, and a PIF would go a long way toward helping out a lot of people who are interested but shy away from the perceived expense. (They figure they can always get a $0.10 ballpoint. The horror.)

IF I am graced with this (or the random leftovers), then I'll document the entire process until they're all gone or if someone yells at me to staaahhhhppp...

If you decide to split up the lot, I wouldn't mind the Rhodia Romeo and the hexagonal aluminum pen (right side, 6th from the bottom). Alternates would be the (I think) Noodler's Ahab (left side, 8th from the bottom), or any of the Sailors (I don't have one yet and want to try one out).

Thanks!

First, how incredibly generous! And I'm so glad that the work situation has settled itself in your favor--I hope you'll love Singapore. 

I'm sadly not the one to take the whole lot off your hands, and absolutely understand that you won't have time to cater to each separate request, but just to put my hat in the ring: I'd love to have any Pilots that remain, and/or the dark hexagonal pen at the bottom left; I'd also be delighted with the Life pad, and any of what looks like it might be Kokuyo notebooks or pads. 

And regardless of how it all shakes out, thanks for doing this!

PIFs are not easy for the donor -- there's a lot of detail, dealing with all the PMs with the recipients, a lot of shipping costs, a lot of envelopes to make sure have the right addresses and the right pens for that address, a lot of trips to the PO. I hope you can find someone to handle that for you, especially if your time frame is short. I encourage you to prepare a list with a few details about each pen, that will make it a lot easier for whoever ends up handling them.

You might be able to do this through a local pen club, if there is one active in your area, even if you haven't been a member up to now. Maybe they could hold onto the pens until the next pen show and give them away there in some controlled manner. 

You are so generous. I am still a beginner and a high school student. I promise I will pay these forward if you send me any of these pens . I am definitely short of quality notebooks too :(

A very generous PIF, I am on the opposite side of New York and would be willing to source any or all of the lot. 

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange.png

Thanks to everyone who replied. I originally started this thread but did not realize posts In this channel required approval. As I needed to move the pens, notebooks and now inks out quickly, I approached someone from the local pen club who very graciously is taking the entire lot. 

23 hours ago, gerigo said:

Thanks to everyone who replied. I originally started this thread but did not realize posts In this channel required approval. As I needed to move the pens, notebooks and now inks out quickly, I approached someone from the local pen club who very graciously is taking the entire lot. 

Would it be possible for me to pick up the two notebooks from you separately before you give the rest to the pen club?

15 hours ago, JCC123 said:

Would it be possible for me to pick up the two notebooks from you separately before you give the rest to the pen club?

Unfortunately, everything has been taken.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:50 PM, gerigo said:

No worries, and good luck in Singapore!

• 3 weeks later...